U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 12:48 PM

303 posts, read 403,410 times

Advertisements

We just moved across the country so my SO and I will be having our own 2-person Thanksgiving this year. I'm kind of excited though just because I never get to cook anything for the holidays. I'm still the third generation of cooks in our families so the grandmothers (we still thankfully have all four of them ) tend to do all the cooking for the holidays.

As far as the meal, I haven't decided on much yet. There's a few sides I know my SO will want (corn pudding, cheese grits, etc.) and I'm trying to plan ahead. We're running a charity 10k that morning so I'd like to be able to have most of it ready before that so I can just reheat and cook the bird (what kind of bird also hasn't been decided).

So, I thought I'd pick your brains for your Thanksgiving experiences! Have you ever done a 2-person Thanksgiving? Do you make any dishes ahead of time? Is it always a turkey or something else as the main dish?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2013, 01:04 PM

4,946 posts, read 4,339,450 times
Instead of a huge turkey, we either had a turkey breast or Cornish hens.

Old 11-08-2013, 01:10 PM

136 posts, read 166,438 times
This will be my 2nd year cooking for just DH and I. Last year we did a turkey breast in the oven but this year DH will smoke a turkey in his new smoker. I will probably make the same things as I did last year...dressing, mashed potatoes and gravy, green bean casserole, sweet potato casserole, corn and rolls. Although I believe his Dad is joining us this year so it will be the 3 of us.

Old 11-08-2013, 01:17 PM

14,938 posts, read 26,645,784 times
Turkey Breasts also do wonderfully in the slow cooker!

Old 11-08-2013, 01:23 PM

136 posts, read 166,438 times
I guess I really didn't answer your question fully. I do make my dressing the night before. You can assemble the green beans and sweet potatoes the night before and put them in the fridge then when you are ready, into the oven they go. I do try to get as much of it made the evening before so I can enjoy my family on the big day!

Old 11-08-2013, 01:41 PM

2,870 posts, read 4,459,934 times
I'd have duck. Just enough meat for two. (Keep those bones for a duck stock!) If you're in Sacramento it's still good for outdoors so for vegetables I'd grill. But for a different vegetable side I'd make a grilled vegetable terrine in advance. Couscous is a very quick starch side. Or mashed potatoes with roasted garlic and duck fat. For appetizers, just a really nice cheese plate with olives and pears. All that's pretty simple, so you can spend your cooking time on sauces, gravies and glazes.

And desserts. Individual tiramisu. Try pumpkin or pumpkin/chocolate. Refrigerator cookies that are crisp and light for tea or coffee. Homemade truffles and glazed nuts. All this can be prepared in advance. Make it mostly about easy plating and day-long grazing. Make it about intimate relaxing with a bunch of DVDs lined up.

Old 11-08-2013, 02:04 PM

18,856 posts, read 30,463,066 times
Two people? I would do a turkey breast, 2 sides, a mashed potatoes, these can be made ahead, a salad. What is the point of having a ton of food for two people?

Old 11-08-2013, 03:42 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,732,040 times
I have done 2-3 people for thanksgiving, before.

- duck or cornish game hens are a good smaller alternate to Turkey
- I always do the pumpkin pie the night before
- you can peel/boil potatoes and have them basically ready to mash
- cold relish tray for a side (pickled veggies, olives, etc)
- cranberry sauce - most decent grocery stores sell a nice pre-made fresh cranberry sauce
- when i've been too busy to do most of the cooking, i've bought a quart of gravy from a restaurant

Old 11-08-2013, 06:32 PM

1,766 posts, read 2,004,610 times
Night before.......
Head of broccoli cut up, put in a storage baggie,add two tbsp of olive oil, three minced garlic cloves, sea salt and pepper to taste. Shake bag really good. T-day...(with other stuff?) Pre heat oven to 350. Put rack at top level. Cover cookie sheet with foil. Spray w/ Pam, Spread broccoli evenly on sheet, put on top rack. Cook for thirty minutes. Delicious !
?

Last edited by wordsmith680; 11-08-2013 at 06:53 PM.. Reason: Oops

Old 11-08-2013, 10:15 PM

4,240 posts, read 3,031,877 times
I've done a Thanksgiving for two before. I made a small whole chicken because the smallest turkey that I could find was way too big. You can make side dishes, casseroles, cranberry sauce, and desserts the day before. The only thing I wouldn't make the day before are salad and vegetables because I like my veggies firm.

My menu was:

Roasted whole chicken - made on Thanksgiving day
Stuffing - made the day before; put it in the chicken the next day before roasting
Candied sweet potatoes - made the day before
Sautéed garlic Brussels sprouts - made on Thanksgiving day
Salad - made on Thanksgiving day
Cranberry sauce - store bought
Pecan pie - made the day before
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or