U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 02:13 PM

16,317 posts, read 12,585,752 times

Advertisements

Nonstick surface does not help; also, Lilly, you shouldn't use nonstick sprays on your nonstick surfaces!
Surprised? I was, when I learned that just this year!

I use my nonstick pan and scramble my eggs on the lowest heat that I can get and I keep gently scrambling until just before they are done(!) and remove them from the pan immediately.
Your scrambled eggs can be frozen for a long time; just microwave them, covered, in a tupperware or something.
Try something like 45 seconds first and then if they're not hot enough just give them little time additions until they are. Then you'll have an idea how long to heat them next time.

I'd add a couple little pats of butter to them when reheating, too.

Thing is, you'll still have to clean your pan from that dumb ol' egg mess, but it won't be quite so bad if you cook the eggs on LOW-LOW-LOW, and keep them moving a bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 02:35 PM

136 posts, read 286,324 times
You can do all of what the other posters said or you can just buy pre-scrambled egg
or egg product(egg beaters). Which is what most every restaurant serves for scrambled, omelet
and sandwiches. Do you believe the cooks actually crack their eggs to order for "busted" egg dishes?

If you want an egg from shell, you can cook and freeze them and microwave to heat
from frozen. Add a touch of water not milk before cooking your eggs for the freezing process.

You may pre-scramble raw and 'fridge or freeze. Thaw before use(smaller the package + quicker defrost.
Important to use a bit of lemon juice or white vinegar. (1/8 teaspoon per dozen XLG)
The little bit of acid keeps the eggs from turning pale and gives you some shelf life.
Don't defrost raw egg in microwave.

Most important that your pan is hot and properly oiled before you add egg and you wont get the mess.

Old 11-12-2013, 02:37 PM

6,220 posts, read 7,400,726 times
I make scrambled eggs a couple of times a week. I have a non-stick pan. I add a pat of butter and put the pan on low heat. While the pan is heating, and the butter is melting, I whip the bejeezus out of the eggs. I do NOT add any liquid. I add the egg mixture to the pan and with a wooden spoon, pull the cooked edges in to the center, working my way around the pan until all the fluid egg is set. I slide the cooked eggs onto my plate, wipe the pan with a dry paper towel and put it away.

When I hard-boil eggs, I start them in cold water to cover. When the water begins to boil, I let it boil for one minute, put a lid on the pan and turn the flame off. Set the timer for 12 minutes. Pour off the hot water and run cold water over the eggs until they can be handled. Peel them at once. Make sure they are dry and store them in the fridge for up to three days. Never sulfurous, never green.

Old 11-12-2013, 02:46 PM

8,535 posts, read 6,667,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
Nonstick surface does not help; also, Lilly, you shouldn't use nonstick sprays on your nonstick surfaces!
Surprised? I was, when I learned that just this year!
I did not know that RR! But I only tried it after they stuck anyway, so guess I didn't ruin anything that wasn't already ruined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
I make scrambled eggs a couple of times a week. I have a non-stick pan. I add a pat of butter and put the pan on low heat. While the pan is heating, and the butter is melting, I whip the bejeezus out of the eggs. I do NOT add any liquid. I add the egg mixture to the pan and with a wooden spoon, pull the cooked edges in to the center, working my way around the pan until all the fluid egg is set. I slide the cooked eggs onto my plate, wipe the pan with a dry paper towel and put it away.
I prefer to leave the bejeezus in my eggs. I cook 'em till part of the white is solid, then break the yolk so the finished product is yellow and white.

I got lazy and didn't do it today. Tomorrow for sure! Thanks again, all.

Old 11-12-2013, 03:07 PM

136 posts, read 286,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post

When I hard-boil eggs, I start them in cold water to cover. When the water begins to boil, I let it boil for one minute, put a lid on the pan and turn the flame off. Set the timer for 12 minutes. Pour off the hot water and run cold water over the eggs until they can be handled. Peel them at once. Make sure they are dry and store them in the fridge for up to three days. Never sulfurous, never green.

Eggs-actly!!!!

Old 11-12-2013, 03:47 PM

12,448 posts, read 10,135,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8cakes View Post
...pre-scrambled egg or egg product(egg beaters). Which is what most every restaurant serves for scrambled, omelet and sandwiches. Do you believe the cooks actually crack their eggs to order for "busted" egg dishes?...
We wouldn't go to a breakfast restaurant that didn't crack eggs for the egg dishes. Now, the pancakes and waffles - maybe they'll use egg product for those, not sure.

Old 11-12-2013, 05:31 PM

2,431 posts, read 4,388,633 times
Skip the pan and spatula, and microwave them to begin with! Somewhere on CD is a recipe for microwaved scrambled eggs. I tried it, and it worked great! Spray a small dish, crack the egg into it, scramble it with a fork, add whatever to it, and nuke it for 1-2 minutes (depends on your MW, dish, etc.). Eat it out of the dish. To clean up -- the dish and the fork - you'd be cleaning them anyway! I used a pyrex custard cup (8 oz?) - makes nice round scrambled eggs, perfect to pop on your toast and make a sammich!

As for hard-boiled eggs, I cover them with cold water, bring to a boil, and boil for 20 min. Rinse with cold water. Done.

Old 11-12-2013, 05:33 PM

4,721 posts, read 4,287,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Wait... if your hard-boiled eggs smell like sulfur, they've been overcooked. And if the yolks turn green they're overcooked.

I have a $5 gadget that looks like a red plastic egg, that you put in the pot with the eggs when you boil them, and it changes color to show when the eggs are done. Since I got it I never have green yolks or sulfur smell in hard boiled eggs.
You boil them for 10 minutes. They are perfect then; no reason to buy a gadget.

Old 11-12-2013, 05:39 PM

12,448 posts, read 10,135,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx View Post
Skip the pan and spatula, and microwave them to begin with!...
NOOOOO!!!!!!! Say it ain't so, Joe!!! Say it ain't so!!!

Old 11-12-2013, 10:08 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,210,234 times
I love frittatas....oven baked egg omelets. Lightly spray a cast iron skillet and it won't stick like scrambled eggs.

Here's a quick recipe. Frittata Recipe with Spinach, Bacon and Cheddar They freeze and refrigerate well, like a quiche without the crust.

Okay, now I'm hungry!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink