U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 01:59 AM

12,971 posts, read 22,618,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
You boil them for 10 minutes. They are perfect then; no reason to buy a gadget.
Your 10 minutes can be wrong, or right, just as other people's 12 minutes can be wrong or right, depending on how many eggs you have in the pot, what the temperature of the water is to start with, what altitude you're at, whether it's gas or electric, how big the burner or coil is, and how high the temperature setting is.

The EggPerfect, however, reacts to all these variables the same way eggs do, and shows you flawlessly when you have reached soft, medium, and hard-boiled stages:

It's the best $4.95 you can spend for the kitchen, a true no-brainer. Sur La Table carries them, Williams Sonoma, Crate and Barrel, etc.

Quote:
Just drop this temperature-sensitive timer in a pot of boiling water pot with real eggs and watch as it changes color, indicating soft, medium and hard-boiled stages. Easy-to-use timer takes the mystery out of boiling eggs and adjusts automatically to the number of eggs, volume of water and altitude, etc.

Egg Timer in Thermometers & Timers | Crate and Barrel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 02:36 AM

16,317 posts, read 12,582,938 times
Here is the same thing, but made in U.S.A. instead of China...and that makes me more comfortable.
About $1 more.

http://www.amazon.com/HIC-Harold-Imp...ds=egg+perfect

Old 11-13-2013, 02:58 AM

12,971 posts, read 22,618,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
Here is the same thing, but made in U.S.A. instead of China...and that makes me more comfortable.
About $1 more.

Amazon.com: HIC Harold Import Eggsact Egg Timer: Kitchen & Dining
I wasn't aware of the difference, but I looked at mine and it says USA on it. I've had it at least 15 years and it still works perfectly.

I definitely agree, the extra dollar is worth it for the genuine article. The others must be a knock off.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:29 AM

168 posts, read 212,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
I like scrambled eggs for breakfast, but they gunk up a pan and spatula really bad, and I hate having to scrub them every single day. I'd like to scramble a dozen at once.

Would they store well in a glass storage container? How do you heat them in the microwave without turning them rubbery? Any tips on how to get pre-made fresh tasting eggs?
Eggs just don't hold very well, and they are very sensitive to temperature--reheating them basically will mean re-cooking them. I would never store eggs in this manner, because the texture and flavour degradation will make them unpleasant to eat.

However, to actually answer your question--and again, I urge you not to do this because stored and reheated eggs will taste like garbage--cooked eggs should keep for up to 72 hours in the refrigerator. Remember to chill them as rapidly as possible after cooking, and you may wish to undercook slightly in order to minimize problems when reheating.

I would use 72 hours as an absolute maximum, particularly if you are undercooking. 48 hours is probably wiser.

Old 11-17-2013, 01:23 PM

8,531 posts, read 6,664,634 times
I heated up some 2 day old eggs this morning and they really weren't bad. I did slightly undercook them before storing them. The glass storage bowls are a bit of a problem because they're hard to heat up. I get the eggs steaming, but the cold bowl sucks the warmth right out. By the time the bowl is warm, the eggs on the bottom are a bit rubbery. Plastic would probably work better, but I eliminated plastic from my diet a few years ago.

I'll try taking the bowl from the fridge to warm up just a bit while I'm having my first cup of coffee tomorrow.

Old 11-18-2013, 12:25 PM

8,531 posts, read 6,664,634 times
I heated some right out of the freezer today, and they were disgusting! The stuff on the outside was full of holes and rubbery while the inside was still icy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink