U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 03:09 PM

8,377 posts, read 7,369,618 times

Advertisements

McD, only used the dollar menu to bring in customers that would end up spending a lot more money on other items. It was not a profitable part of their business.

When costs that have been rising, reach the point that a business loses money on each sale, they raise the prices as McD has. Losing a few $ meal customers, can actually increase their profit as they do not lose money on these people.

Old 11-13-2013, 03:26 PM

653 posts, read 1,273,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
McD, only used the dollar menu to bring in customers that would end up spending a lot more money on other items. It was not a profitable part of their business.

Wrong, it was for people who wanted cheap fast food. They always profited on every item on the dollar menu. They just didn't profit as much as their more expensive items.

If they didn't profit on it they wouldn't have kept it for more than 10 years and every other fast food place would not have copied the formula.

Old 11-13-2013, 03:40 PM

653 posts, read 1,273,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
And what about operating costs? I worked in the restaurant business for years and what you keep saying just isn't true. Food costs are going up and many restaurants operate on a very slim margin. Start padding your hyperbole with links to real data.
The operating costs are built into the budget not each individual item. Dollar tree is doing fine selling items for $1 and makes money on the volume of sales. Yes they may only profit 50 cents on a double cheeseburger, but I can buy 10 frozen hash brown patties for $2 at walmart. So if I'm paying 20 cents each for them retail McDonalds probably spends less than 10 cents on them and sells them for $1 or more. Ask McDonalds if they want to keep the customers who only buy from the dollar menu and see what they say.

So don't cry for a greedy corporation that has a system in place to lead their employees on how to get public assistance in the way of Foodstamps and Medicaid.

Old 11-13-2013, 04:35 PM

12,448 posts, read 10,135,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowSoFlorida View Post
...I can buy 10 frozen hash brown patties for $2...
NEWSFLASH

Go and buy your own cheap food and cook it yourself .

You obviously have some issues with McDonald's, and don't understand the economic principles at work, so further discourse is pointless .

Old 11-13-2013, 04:36 PM

5,487 posts, read 6,428,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
McDonalds food is ment to lower your IQ. They'd give it away for free if they thought more people would eat it. If this actually stops people from buying there, don't worry they'll fix it.
You must eat there often.

Old 11-13-2013, 04:44 PM

384 posts, read 499,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowSoFlorida View Post
A few items remain like the McChicken, but the McDouble is now $1.19 and I read that small fries cost $1.19 now too.

Well McD you just lost a customer and now I will be going to Burger King and Checkers more often.

The items you raised the price of are not worth more than $1.
Since I work at McDonald's and am in the same county as you, I will explain. The McDouble being the same price as the hamburger made no sense from a financial standpoint because it included an extra patty and slice of cheese for free. Remember that anything having to do with health standards and meat is very expensive.
And 19 cents, really? Is that really worth complaining about? How about iTunes changing the costs of popular songs from $1.00 to $1.29? That is worth complaining about, but a burger at McDonald's? Look up what "inflation" means.
Oh boy. When I clock in on Friday I will have to deal with many customers not aware of the price change. Since many old folks find giving up a few pennies equivalent to going bankrupt (but yet drive a brand-new German/European import through the drive-thru.)

Old 11-13-2013, 05:14 PM

5,944 posts, read 6,745,949 times
In my dreams, they use the price increase to offer long suffering part time employees working rotating shifts with no benefits, some full time work.

Old 11-13-2013, 05:25 PM

384 posts, read 499,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
In my dreams, they use the price increase to offer long suffering part time employees working rotating shifts with no benefits, some full time work.
Shifts aren't that bad, really. They give us free food and discounts, and to an extent, free healthcare and work insurance. And they provide free managerial training with a variety of applications.
It's not as bad as people make it out to be. In fact, my store manager makes $150k a year, similar to other jobs.

Old 11-13-2013, 05:39 PM

2,967 posts, read 3,956,389 times
McDonalds offered me 1$ to eat their food once and I turned them down...

Who would want to eat their foul, synthetic, all-bun burgers anyways?

Old 11-13-2013, 05:50 PM

14,933 posts, read 26,640,695 times
Closed for mod review
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink