Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 04:10 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,317,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Ok I'll probably go to hell for saying this, but I can't stand the country ham that my dad boils in a big iron pot over a fire outside all day the day before Thanksgiving. BLECH! He has to actually CUT OFF GREEN STUFF on the outside of it first - that can't be right. And it's so salty. YUCK!

Actually, no one really likes it except for him. I think we all just get some, hide it under a piece of bread, and when he's not looking, we dump it in the trash. I always bring a spiral cut ham that's baked in a brown sugar glaze, which of course he thinks is sacrilegious, but the rest of the family is grateful.
Trash? What a waste.
Do the think the raccoons and skunks would eat it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 04:20 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Trash? What a waste.
Do the think the raccoons and skunks would eat it?
I have no idea. We don't want the dogs to eat it, it's too fatty.

Old 11-25-2013, 04:22 PM

48,112 posts, read 21,992,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Ok I'll probably go to hell for saying this, but I can't stand the country ham that my dad boils in a big iron pot over a fire outside all day the day before Thanksgiving. BLECH! He has to actually CUT OFF GREEN STUFF on the outside of it first - that can't be right. And it's so salty. YUCK!

Actually, no one really likes it except for him. I think we all just get some, hide it under a piece of bread, and when he's not looking, we dump it in the trash. I always bring a spiral cut ham that's baked in a brown sugar glaze, which of course he thinks is sacrilegious, but the rest of the family is grateful.
That country ham goes for about $80! When I looked it up it said there is typically a layer of mold on the outside to scrub or cut off. I would love to have one to try. By boiling it....he should be getting rid of some of the salt....maybe he needs to change the water once or twice.....but it is supposed to be salty. I would welcome him and his ham....here. Does he cure his own ham?

Does he make red eye gravy?

Old 11-25-2013, 05:45 PM

537 posts, read 739,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
I never knew anyone who actually ate GB casserole until I said that to a co-worker, and she snapped at me angrily: "It's an American classic!" Not on my Thanksgiving table, it's not.

Stove Top stuffing is another one that I wouldn't eat if you paid me. Yecch.

My brother not only fixes Stove Top, but he serves it alongside instant mashed potatoes, fixed with margerine to really bring out the cardboard-box flavor.
And he probably gets his gravy from a can or envelope mix. BLEEECHHH!!

"Walk . . . slowly . . . away from the stove! Keep your hands where I can see them!!!"

Old 11-25-2013, 06:16 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
That country ham goes for about $80! When I looked it up it said there is typically a layer of mold on the outside to scrub or cut off. I would love to have one to try. By boiling it....he should be getting rid of some of the salt....maybe he needs to change the water once or twice.....but it is supposed to be salty. I would welcome him and his ham....here. Does he cure his own ham?

Does he make red eye gravy?
He makes red eye gravy and yes, we all really like that. Our traditional day after TGiving breakfast is ham biscuits (made from the spiral cut ham - LOL) and that red eye gravy.

I know what those hams cost - but it doesn't change the fact that I just don't like them. And neither does anyone else in my family!

And no, he doesn't cure his own ham. He spends an arm and a leg on the salty, hard, moldy thing every year. BLECH.

Old 12-01-2013, 06:26 AM

141 posts, read 353,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
creamed onions?
I LOVE creamed onions. Only my grandmother and I would eat them. Now that she's passed away, we don't serve them on Thanksgiving anymore, and that makes me sad!

Old 12-04-2013, 09:52 AM

1,158 posts, read 1,736,285 times
I love green beans, but I do not like green bean casserole. Same for fruit cake. BLEEEEECH!!!

Old 12-04-2013, 10:04 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69GSstage1 View Post
I love green beans, but I do not like green bean casserole. Same for fruit cake. BLEEEEECH!!!
Those fruitcakes make wonderful door stops LOL ....my cousin kept one wrapped for 10 yrs I kid you not that thing still looked like the day they bought it

Old 12-04-2013, 02:18 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,885,374 times
How do you make creamed onions?

Old 12-04-2013, 02:26 PM

48,112 posts, read 21,992,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
How do you make creamed onions?
I am sure someone who has a recipe will share with you. They are not hard to make.

I have made them, but I cook by the seat of my pants and with the example of loved ones now gone

....boiled little pearl onion and squeezed them to take off the skin and pop out the onion......then make a roux based cream sauce, season with salt and white pepper and nutmeg. My Dad used to add peeled boiled chestnuts in with the onions sometimes. Put the onions in the sauce in a open dish in the oven and heat thru and let bubble and perhaps take on a golden color.

I did look and found a recipe very close to what I do. http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...-Onions-109220 Enjoy you onions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink