U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 09:38 AM

69,297 posts, read 79,469,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichele View Post
What is that one dish that is served by tradition that may not be very likeable? For me it's green bean casserole. I thought it was basically garnish until I became an adult and met people who actually eat it.
I never have understood the hype over it, but the one I really don't like: yams with all that sweet stuff on them. That is why, to this day our kids won't even try yams or sweet potatoes, they remember the days when that casserole was served every Thanksgiving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 10:47 AM

15,087 posts, read 11,522,611 times
Quote:

Originally Posted by CMichele

What is that one dish that is served by
tradition that may not be very likeable? For me it's green bean casserole. I
thought it was basically garnish until I became an adult and met people who
actually eat it.
I've never had it. It's not something that's ubiquitous up here on Thanksgiving, but it sounds disgusting. Ditto for putting marshmallows in food.

Old 11-14-2013, 10:50 AM

30,411 posts, read 9,092,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichele View Post
What is that one dish that is served by tradition that may not be very likeable? For me it's green bean casserole. I thought it was basically garnish until I became an adult and met people who actually eat it.

This made me laugh. I never liked the green beans in that casserole because they're stringy. And canned onions? WTH are those?. So I substitute frozen peas for the beans, and canned chow mein noodles for the "onions" and everyone's happy!

Old 11-14-2013, 10:56 AM

533 posts, read 916,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
My sister used to bring a corn casserole that was supposed to puff up like a souffle, but never did.
Another time, she brought a bag of frozen green beans, microwaved them when she got to my house, and then, without draining them, took the plastic off some slices of cheese (although you couldn't tell whether the plastic was on or off...) and laid them on top of the green beans. It looked disgusting. No one ate it, except her 4 kids, none of whom I have EVER seen eat anything good, or normal.
One of them ate nothing but rolls, and another looked at the turkey and went "Blecch!! I'm not eating THAT!!!" Another ate the whipped cream off her pumpkin pie and asked for more cream.
Sooooo happy she moved away....
This has to be the funniest/most disgusting things I've heard of for a Thanksgiving dinner, lol.

I personally hate Thanksgiving foods (besides rolls and mashed potatoes and some of the veggies). I'd love a good southern bbq Thanksgiving dinner with collard greens, fried okra, mac n cheese... mmmm.

Or a Thanksgiving with all Greek food! Yum!

Old 11-14-2013, 11:05 AM

5,945 posts, read 12,721,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
Fun thread, really.

My wife makes some stuff with grapes and walnuts and what, marshmallows or something else. Yuck!
Sounds like a cross between a waldorf salad and an ambrosia salad - bizarre. My MIL made something similar - only she also put strawberry jello in it!!!

Old 11-14-2013, 11:05 AM

8,613 posts, read 7,813,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggumbo View Post
This has to be the funniest/most disgusting things I've heard of for a Thanksgiving dinner, lol.

I personally hate Thanksgiving foods (besides rolls and mashed potatoes and some of the veggies). I'd love a good southern bbq Thanksgiving dinner with collard greens, fried okra, mac n cheese... mmmm.

Too funny about the gross casserole!

Great ideas Ggumbo!!!!! I love everything about a traditional thanksgiving. Never did the marshmallows but I love GB casserole. Southern or Greek would sooo rock.

Old 11-14-2013, 11:08 AM

5,945 posts, read 12,721,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
yams with all that sweet stuff on them. That is why, to this day our kids won't even try yams or sweet potatoes, they remember the days when that casserole was served every Thanksgiving.
I have to make this for my hubby every year. It's the one thing - aside from the turkey and stuffing - that he looks forward to every Thanksgiving. Last year we went to a friends house for Thanksgiving and they didn't have it or any sweet potatoes at all... hubby was cruelly disappointed. So I made him some the next day.

Old 11-14-2013, 11:18 AM

3,322 posts, read 3,564,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggumbo View Post

You should have seen my face while she was doing it, and my husband's face when he saw it on the table!!
My other sister and I can both cook, as can my daughter. This sister, and my mother, nope.
At least my mother admits it, but my sister still thinks she's a gourmet cook. As do her kids, I guess that explains why they won't eat anything good.
Oh, she also used to bring "bread". As in those quick breads in a box, cranberry bread, pumpkin bread....brrrr....shudder...

Old 11-14-2013, 11:21 AM

8,613 posts, read 7,813,014 times
eek mrs.cool I hope you don't ever have to visit them over a 'home cooked' meal, gaaah...

OTOH maybe it would be funny if you started a Worst cook's recipe threadl...

Old 11-14-2013, 11:22 AM

3,322 posts, read 3,564,401 times
Nope!! I stay away! But if you ever get to Lexington, Kentucky....beware!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink