U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 06:12 AM

16,318 posts, read 12,596,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
Fun thread, really.

My wife makes some stuff with grapes and walnuts and what, marshmallows or something else. Yuck!

I just asked her and found out. It's grapes, walnuts, apples and mayonnaise. I'm sitting here eating my pancake and now I feel sick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 07:10 AM

6,124 posts, read 5,157,223 times
We always spend Thanksgiving at my mother's, and she always makes sure we have the fixings for the "green bean casserole". I, DH, and my daughters love it, but the others at the table won't touch it.

When my oldest daughter hosts holiday dinners in her home, her guests are often put off by some of her Pennsylvania Dutch traditional dieshes like Copes Stewed Corn and Pennsylvania Dutch Potato Filling . "Baked mashed potatoes with egg, dried bread cubes, fried onions, parsley, and fried celerey in it?" So she always serves a dish of plain mashed potatoes as well. As for the stewed dried corn - it is soaked in milk, sweet and buttery, but it is beige instead of yellow. A Pennsylvania Dutch holiday table wouldn't be without it, but "outsiders" don't always appreciate it!

Old 11-15-2013, 09:28 AM

533 posts, read 917,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
We always spend Thanksgiving at my mother's, and she always makes sure we have the fixings for the "green bean casserole". I, DH, and my daughters love it, but the others at the table won't touch it.

When my oldest daughter hosts holiday dinners in her home, her guests are often put off by some of her Pennsylvania Dutch traditional dieshes like Copes Stewed Corn and Pennsylvania Dutch Potato Filling . "Baked mashed potatoes with egg, dried bread cubes, fried onions, parsley, and fried celerey in it?" So she always serves a dish of plain mashed potatoes as well. As for the stewed dried corn - it is soaked in milk, sweet and buttery, but it is beige instead of yellow. A Pennsylvania Dutch holiday table wouldn't be without it, but "outsiders" don't always appreciate it!
Yeah, as a southerner, I think all of that sounds pretty gross.

Whenever I'm "grown up" with a family I want to host the Thanksgiving dinners. Every year will have a different theme:

1.) Southern BBQ (fried chicken, pulled pork, steak, mac n cheese, fried okra, green beans, collard greens, etc.)

2.) Greek (gyros, tzatziki, lamb, fish, lentils, baklava...)

3.) Creole (gumbo, jambalaya, beignets, shrimp remoulade, oysters, red beans and rice, crayfish etouffe)

YUM.

Old 11-15-2013, 10:50 AM

33,058 posts, read 12,540,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggumbo View Post
Yeah, as a southerner, I think all of that sounds pretty gross.

Whenever I'm "grown up" with a family I want to host the Thanksgiving dinners. Every year will have a different theme:

1.) Southern BBQ (fried chicken, pulled pork, steak, mac n cheese, fried okra, green beans, collard greens, etc.)

2.) Greek (gyros, tzatziki, lamb, fish, lentils, baklava...)

3.) Creole (gumbo, jambalaya, beignets, shrimp remoulade, oysters, red beans and rice, crayfish etouffe)

YUM.
I too have tried different themes for Thanksgiving. One year it was Paella that I spend an arm and leg tracking down all the ingredients. Saffron is not cheap.

It smelled wonderful, looked gorgeous.

Guess what everyone said?

"Where's the turkey?"

"Will there be mashed potatoes?"

"No green been casserole?"

I have since bowed to the opinion that there are some traditions that are best just to go along with.

New Year's is the night for Paella, by the way.

Old 11-15-2013, 11:23 AM

17,601 posts, read 21,790,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
creamed onions?

Creamed onions. Big in my family. Mom, Aunts and both grandmothers liked to trot this strange specialty out every holiday. Why? A more tasteless dish I'll never have.

Old 11-15-2013, 11:30 AM

1,525 posts, read 3,358,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I too have tried different themes for Thanksgiving. One year it was Paella that I spend an arm and leg tracking down all the ingredients. Saffron is not cheap.

It smelled wonderful, looked gorgeous.

Guess what everyone said?

"Where's the turkey?"

"Will there be mashed potatoes?"

"No green been casserole?"

I have since bowed to the opinion that there are some traditions that are best just to go along with.

New Year's is the night for Paella, by the way.
I'm seriously considering king crab for Thanksgiving and I am thinking this will probably be my daughter's reaction to it.

Old 11-15-2013, 02:01 PM

33,058 posts, read 12,540,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnenwende View Post
I'm seriously considering king crab for Thanksgiving and I am thinking this will probably be my daughter's reaction to it.

I'd hesitate on the king crab myself.

Thanksgiving is all about tradition.

Our daughter explained this the year I made a prime rib roast that not only would, but did, melt in your mouth. I used the recipe where you put it in for a short time at a high temp, and then turn off the over. It was out of this world wonderful. I'm not kidding. That may be the best meal I ever cooked. (Fortunately, there are photos.)

"Will there be turkey sandwiches at least?" was the very first comment.

Old 11-15-2013, 02:49 PM

8,013 posts, read 22,543,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I'm also not fond of mashed potatoes,
As a born and raised Idahoan, I'm pretty sure this statement means I have permission...nay, a moral obligation....to beat you with a stick until you cry "Uncle". A plate of mashed (and whipped) potatoes with roast or turkey gravy is one of the best things in life.

To the OP, I've never understood why people take the time and trouble to cook traditional foods that no one at the table likes. At Thanksgiving with my parents, we always just make the foods that at least most of the people at the table like. For example, sometimes we have ham, sometimes we have turkey. I'm not a huge ham fan, but the rest of the family likes it, and we all like turkey. My mom is the only one who likes cranberry anything, so we don't usually have that. Never have green bean casserole because none of us like it.

If we are talking personal preferences, there is a lot of stuff mentioned in this thread that I had no idea WAS "traditional Thanksgiving food" that I think sounds terrible. But then, I prefer classic fare. Give me turkey with mashed potatoes and gravy, corn (niblets or on the cob) or asparagus, some sort of basic salad, and some sort of roll, and I'm happy as can be.

My personal one traditional Thanksgiving food that I really dislike is stuffing. Everyone seems to love it (yes it is StoveTop), but I can't stand the stuff.

Old 11-15-2013, 03:12 PM

1,525 posts, read 3,358,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I'd hesitate on the king crab myself.

Thanksgiving is all about tradition.

Our daughter explained this the year I made a prime rib roast that not only would, but did, melt in your mouth. I used the recipe where you put it in for a short time at a high temp, and then turn off the over. It was out of this world wonderful. I'm not kidding. That may be the best meal I ever cooked. (Fortunately, there are photos.)

"Will there be turkey sandwiches at least?" was the very first comment.
Heh.

There are only the three of us. I did a traditional turkey dinner last year, but I'm not interested in doing it this year because I ended up a lot of wasted food. I figured this year I would pick up some crab, baguette rolls, wine, and salad. I saw in the Costco ad that they have a white chocolate raspberry cake that looks good for dessert.

I did buy a decorative paper turkey though. It is on the dining room table. She can eat that if she doesn't want crab. Besides I'm planning a traditional Christmas goose dinner with stuff I know will get eaten. She's got another shot at tradition coming up.

Old 11-15-2013, 05:18 PM

8,613 posts, read 7,824,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
As a born and raised Idahoan, I'm pretty sure this statement means I have permission...nay, a moral obligation....to beat you with a stick until you cry "Uncle". A plate of mashed (and whipped) potatoes with roast or turkey gravy is one of the best things in life.

My personal one traditional Thanksgiving food that I really dislike is stuffing. Everyone seems to love it (yes it is StoveTop), but I can't stand the stuff.
ROFL....but we get to beat you for not liking stuffing.........kidding. You mst be an anomoly, everyone likes stuffing? Forum? Yea or nay on stuffing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink