U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 09:30 PM

1,796 posts, read 1,293,068 times

Advertisements

When I was a kid in the '70s, family members would bring odd jello concoctions made with things like mayonnaise and frozen fruit, probably a 50s holdover. These, thankfully, have fallen into disfavor, and we never had green-bean casserole or marshmallow sweet potatoes. Most everything was made from scratch using fresh ingredients, including pies and goodies. I've continued doing the same as an adult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 10:35 PM

2,456 posts, read 2,440,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Lol. We call it a cream pie ... but it's not what you all would think of as a cream pie. Closest recipe I've ever found to it outside the family was a Pennsylvania Dutch milk pie. I found that because the recipe was "secret" and my grandmother wouldn't share (she eventually did ... after she gave it up to her step-granddaughter. We were outraged). It's pretty sweet, made with cream and flavored with nutmeg.

We think our recipe likely came down through my grandmother's Pennsylvania Dutch ancestry. We knew it came from her ... but weren't sure where in her family it came from. Figured it must have been handed down through the female line. Until ... we went to the family reunion (of her mother's family) ... and brought a pie. Someone exclaimed ... oh, you brought (my great aunt)'s pie. So we knew it didn't come through her mother's side of the family. And her father's had the Pennsylvania Dutch in it.

Anyway, it's our "go-to" pie, and adored by all.
Well it sounds like a pie I would love. And actually if you added rice as an ingredient, you'd have rice pudding! The rest of the ingredients are basically the same. Love these family recipes, and it's a good thing grandma finally shared!

Old 11-17-2013, 11:54 PM

1,381 posts, read 2,541,659 times
Some sort of "salad" with mini marshmallows, apple slices, walnuts, raisins, and mayonaise. Gross.

Old 11-18-2013, 03:57 AM

38,428 posts, read 18,188,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartygurl View Post
Some sort of "salad" with mini marshmallows, apple slices, walnuts, raisins, and mayonaise. Gross.
That might have been "Ambrosia", that was a popular sweet salad in the fifties and sixties. But yours might be more like a glorified Waldorf Salad....now that I think about it .."Ambrosia" had fruit cocktail, Maraschino cherries, pineapple, shredded coconut....mixed into Cool Whip and served as a salad.

There was a green jello salad made with pistachio jello and fruit.....that was popular too.
Watergate Salad.

Last edited by elston; 11-18-2013 at 04:06 AM..

Old 11-18-2013, 04:56 AM

69,306 posts, read 79,490,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diva360 View Post
When I was a kid in the '70s, family members would bring odd jello concoctions made with things like mayonnaise and frozen fruit, probably a 50s holdover. These, thankfully, have fallen into disfavor, and we never had green-bean casserole or marshmallow sweet potatoes. Most everything was made from scratch using fresh ingredients, including pies and goodies. I've continued doing the same as an adult.
The problem, from what I have heard: jello is making a comeback. I do agree, my mom in law always made rainbow salad. It had a filling of cream cheese, canned fruit cocktail (which I have always hated) and I think melted marshmallows or something. Then she would make a jello, cranberry relish, she called it, plus of course the famous yams with all the sweet stuff. Maybe this is why I don't like hardly anything sweet on the dinner table except, of course, dessert later.

Old 11-18-2013, 05:33 AM

302 posts, read 400,172 times
The one dish that always comes back for our holiday table at Thanksgiving is thankfully one my family LOVES!! IT is a fruited cranberry jello.

There's whole cranberries, apples, oranges and pineapple, sugar and 2 boxes of jello. I know the pineapple keeps it from getting solid, but that's the idea. It's more of a sauce type salad. Over the years we have cut back on the amount of added sugar and even my MIL who is extremely picky, has put in a request for this.

Old 11-18-2013, 02:36 PM

3,322 posts, read 3,565,728 times
For whomever asked a couple of pages ago, the answer on stuffing or no, is a definite YES!!

Old 11-18-2013, 03:00 PM

2,967 posts, read 3,957,990 times
I am a human garbage disposal that likes most anything, however, when people try to dress up the cranberry sauce by adding nuts, coconut, or orange rind, it makes it taste gritty with a nasty soggy-crunchy taste.

Plain old fashioned sauce made with whole cranberries and sugar, please!

««cell post via android »»

Old 11-18-2013, 03:05 PM

7,921 posts, read 7,270,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
For whomever asked a couple of pages ago, the answer on stuffing or no, is a definite YES!!
Yes, may I have some more stuffing/dressing, please. Oh some cranberry sauce and a little potato salad would be nice if you have any.

Old 11-18-2013, 03:08 PM

7,921 posts, read 7,270,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartygurl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
That might have been "Ambrosia", that was a popular sweet salad in the fifties and sixties. But yours might be more like a glorified Waldorf Salad....now that I think about it .."Ambrosia" had fruit cocktail, Maraschino cherries, pineapple, shredded coconut....mixed into Cool Whip and served as a salad.

There was a green jello salad made with pistachio jello and fruit.....that was popular too.
Watergate Salad.
right up there with the green bean casseroll. Yuck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink