U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 11:45 AM

137 posts, read 173,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
What does OJ have to do with ham? OJ Simpson?
I wondered the same thing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2013, 12:06 PM

7,185 posts, read 11,229,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetyluvzme View Post
I wondered the same thing
Me too! Hope SatX comes back with an update!

Old 11-16-2013, 12:16 PM

4,977 posts, read 4,519,456 times
Quote:
Do you think HoneyBaked Ham is worth the high price?

I love their stuff but it is so expensive and I can't get the smaller size my small family needs. I've tried to make my own but it's just not the same.
I have never had ham during the holidays that was prepared outside the home. If they had samples available in the store to promote their product, I would definitely take a taste. Otherwise, preparing a delicious home-made ham will remain my forte.

Old 11-16-2013, 12:25 PM

18,352 posts, read 23,527,654 times
be careful with spiral hams, - its easy to overcook them, and they are dry

the cheapest of hams is usually the shank and butt portions-the shank still has the hock on it,,
the butt portion is the better value

one of the best hams is the semi-bnls half hams,,,much less bone-higher meet to bone ratio

the skinless, shankless hams are some of the best (bone in ) ones on the market), some are 14-17 lb, some are 17-19lbs and some are 20-22lb in size
you can ask the butcher to slice this if you want,,

for bnls honey hams,,, most of these have a regional vendor/flavor.... up in the northeast, buddaball, triple m, cooks, hatfield, have some nice honey pit bnls hams,,
call up the meat department and ask,,,sometimes they only bring them in on special order,,,and will give you a great deal..

always try to go thru meat departments first- they operate on much smaller margins than deli departments, and can give you a better price per lb

most all smoked hams are fully cooked,,,so when you cook them,,,you are essentially warming them up...10-12mins per lb is usually good

(i've sold thousands of hams in my day)

Old 11-16-2013, 12:27 PM

18,352 posts, read 23,527,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturen View Post
I have never had ham during the holidays that was prepared outside the home. If they had samples available in the store to promote their product, I would definitely take a taste. Otherwise, preparing a delicious home-made ham will remain my forte.
that ham looks sooo good, i almost licked the screen

Old 11-16-2013, 12:41 PM

114,170 posts, read 54,184,090 times
Quote:
What does OJ have to do with ham? OJ Simpson?
He was/is a stockholder in Honey Baked ham ..some of the monies the victims families couldn't touch. I suppose not good reason to punish other stock holders.

Old 11-16-2013, 12:41 PM

143 posts, read 206,702 times
My mom loves the place. It is pretty yummy and definitely higher quality than most fast food places, but last time my mom and I went it was $20 for 2 meals. I'd just rather go somewhere that offers a nice dining room and a server.

Old 11-16-2013, 12:44 PM

4,977 posts, read 4,519,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
that ham looks sooo good, i almost licked the screen
I know!

One year, I cooked the ham at a friend's house and experimented (that means I don't have a recipe ) with adding the cherries - it was the best ham that I have ever had. A lot of tender-loving care in basting frequently. It almost makes me want to prepare ham instead of Alaskan King crab. Nah, crab for Thanksgiving and maybe ham for Christmas or New Year's day.

Old 11-16-2013, 12:52 PM

21,871 posts, read 13,112,457 times
Yum - Honey Baked Ham!!! I just purchased a small bone-in ham for a party tonight. I went on their website and printed a $3 off coupon.

I have tried to make my own with a propane torch and my own spice mixture but its not the same. No one will receive any as part of their care package tonight

Old 11-16-2013, 12:53 PM

8,249 posts, read 11,115,794 times
HB is the ONLY ham I will eat. Glad they don't have a store here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink