Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 02:07 PM

3,169 posts, read 5,140,369 times

Advertisements

For the last 3 Thanksgivings I have bought my ham from Aldi. It's a good brand and fairly cheap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2013, 02:54 PM

373 posts, read 586,853 times
Can't stand ham with sugar on it. Blah! Whatever is that all about?

Old 11-16-2013, 03:05 PM

35,370 posts, read 20,730,566 times
we have one is because the job gave us one--- too much $

Old 11-16-2013, 03:25 PM

20,838 posts, read 28,164,890 times
My mom used to always get a ham from the honey baked ham store for Christmas eve and there would never be any leftovers. It's worth it if you only buy it once a year.

Old 11-16-2013, 04:49 PM

32,502 posts, read 47,489,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I love their stuff but it is so expensive and I can't get the smaller size my small family needs. I've tried to make my own but it's just not the same.
In my opinion, good ham costs money. Cheap hams, on sale at the holidays, often have a chemical taste. They are not good.

I don't think I've ever had a ham from the honey baked store, but Costco sells an excellent ham that they just carry at Christmas time. It is not cheap, but I am sure that it is less expensive than the honey baked.

I don't like the spiral sliced hams. They dry out too easily. I want a ham that I have to slice myself. It will be moister. I also like to serve ham in a thicker slice.

I think the bone-in hams bake up better and taste better. They are harder to carve, though.

The internet is probably full of recipes for a candy glaze for ham. Personally, the idea of a candy coating on my ham doesn't have much appeal for me. It appears that a lot of people like it, though.

There is custom butcher shop here where the butcher does some great smoked meats and uses a real smoke house and not chemicals. I've not bought ham from him, but his bacon is the best ever. Maybe OP can find a custom butcher in his area that smokes? (that's the guy who kills and cuts up whole cows for the local farmers, not a shop that sells commercial meat)

Old 11-16-2013, 04:56 PM

50,023 posts, read 63,359,544 times
I have bought similar products from my grocery store, and it has been very good. Around the holidays, you should look into other options. At other times of the year...like I have gotten Honey Baked Ham for a cook out in the summer with the ham for sandwiches as the main event, I was happy to get the Honey Baked for a reliable result.

Old 11-16-2013, 05:12 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,761,533 times
I don't really care for it. I prefer my own ham made with the ginger ale, brown sugar, and mustard glaze.

Old 11-16-2013, 09:51 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,247,105 times
My sister-in-law gets one every Christmas. To me, the extra expense is not justified in the taste. But SIL's one of those people who never, ever cooks anything herself (and she buys premium name-brand everything) so she gets the HB and serves it at room temp. It never sees the inside of her oven (which I think is mostly used for storage ... I'm not being catty, she's really that way and would happily admit it). She buys most of her side dishes at Honey Baked, too, already prepared. Her mother used to cook some of their meal years ago. Now that she is gone her older children cook a few items. So I guess if you're not into cooking at all, HB is a way to be sure you'll get an acceptable main dish for the holiday table.

I bought a spiral cut ham at Costco a couple of years ago and if you blindfolded me, I couldn't have told the difference between it and my SIL's Honey Baked. But my family always complains when I get a spiral cut ham. For some weird reason most of them like really thin slices; they think the standard spiral is too thick. So now I'm getting our ham at my local supermarket (which is part of the Kroger chain). I let the butcher guide me as to what he thinks is best. I think of all that I've had since I've been in Arizona, the brand the family liked best was Farmer John's. Is that a national item or just regional? I bake it without any sugar coating. I just put some cloves in, baste it with pineapple juice, or apple cider if I have it, and roast it low and slow. I'm into cooking, I just think ham is one of those things that is better left without fancy preparation. I save that for the turkey.

Old 11-17-2013, 12:41 AM

16,365 posts, read 30,079,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I bought a spiral cut ham at Costco a couple of years ago and if you blindfolded me, I couldn't have told the difference between it and my SIL's Honey Baked. But my family always complains when I get a spiral cut ham. For some weird reason most of them like really thin slices; they think the standard spiral is too thick.
The last time that I bought a spiral cut ham from Costco, it was produced by Honey Baked Ham.

Old 11-17-2013, 12:45 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,090,967 times
Occasionally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink