Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 10:27 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,047,287 times

Advertisements

not even a turkey breast. There are usually just the 4 of us for Thanksgiving and probably only 5 or 6 at Christmas. I hate picking meat off bones and I always feel I have to cook the carcass for broth. I'm afraid the Food Waste Police will come to my house.

I also feel I can make more varied dishes with left over ham- omelets, quiches, potatoe casseroles, salad, etc.

Does anybody else feel this way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2013, 10:35 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,197,397 times
i like the full turkey, if not dry or overcooked, i can carve one those up in minutes,,, ive had plenty of practice.
you can buy what they call rtc (ready to cook) raw turkey breasts at some stores- deli's usually cook these for real sliced turkey breast

i would call some different stores- meat markets to iga's to supermarkets,

ask for rtc, raw bnls turkey breasts (with or without the skin)
and get a price

again,,they are called RTC raw bnls turkey breasts

this may be be perfect for you

some stores may sell the bnls sknls turkey breasts,,,,this is not the rtc breasts..

Old 11-16-2013, 10:36 AM

652 posts, read 1,652,324 times
Nah, I eat the left overs for a few days, freeze some, end up never eating it, or throw the left over stuff away. I hate to throw out food, but luckily I can so at times I do.

Old 11-16-2013, 11:04 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,047,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowSoFlorida View Post
Nah, I eat the left overs for a few days, freeze some, end up never eating it, or throw the left over stuff away. I hate to throw out food, but luckily I can so at times I do.
Ah woo woo I'm gonna call the Food Waste Police on you.

Old 11-16-2013, 11:41 AM

136 posts, read 381,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
not even a turkey breast. There are usually just the 4 of us for Thanksgiving and probably only 5 or 6 at Christmas. I hate picking meat off bones and I always feel I have to cook the carcass for broth. I'm afraid the Food Waste Police will come to my house.

I also feel I can make more varied dishes with left over ham- omelets, quiches, potatoe casseroles, salad, etc.

Does anybody else feel this way?
I'm with you on this.
Who says it has to be turkey on the last Thursday of November???
Last year I made a standing rib roast for thanksgiving.
With no fear of the cat or dog getting at the bones.

Old 11-16-2013, 12:23 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,152,211 times
I don't love turkey, so I'm with you!

Usually I go to other people's houses for Thanksgiving, but the last time I hosted I did a pork roast. I've also bought the more expensive (and much smaller so less potential for waste, and IMO tastier) "heritage" free range etc turkeys.
Last year I had Thanksgiving with friends who simply bought a giant take-out buffet of Indian food. It was excellent. No turkey.

Old 11-16-2013, 12:32 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,197,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8cakes View Post
I'm with you on this.
Who says it has to be turkey on the last Thursday of November???
Last year I made a standing rib roast for thanksgiving.
With no fear of the cat or dog getting at the bones.
standing rib roast would get my vote,,

if i were having a small 3-5 gathering, i would go with the bone-in rib roast..a.k.a. as standing rib, or prime rib roast.

one rib is usually 2- 2.5lbs, so if you got a two rib roast, this should be more than enough

Old 11-16-2013, 02:54 PM

652 posts, read 1,652,324 times
My grandfather didn't like turkey so my grandmother made a roasted chicken for him and a turkey for everyone else.

Old 11-16-2013, 03:14 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,579,052 times
I love turkey and I actually substitute the leftovers in a lot of dishes that typically use other meats. I made some good turkey has a while back and you can't go wrong with a turkey sandwich here and there.

You should try other meats. I knew people in my neighborhood when I was growing up that cooked beef brisket, while ham and lamb are other good options. I'm not a big fan of pork, but lamb would be okay for me.

Old 11-16-2013, 03:37 PM

32,632 posts, read 47,964,911 times
My family likes turkey.

I home raise my birds, so when they are butchered they are cut into reasonable size pieces and frozen. Turkey meat stores frozen quite well when it is raw, but has limited storage life after it is cooked. I'd rather cook what we can eat in a couple of days and not have too many leftovers.

The turkey has to be big enough to make the required pan of turkey enchiladas that must follow Thanksgiving. Then a couple of roast turkey sourdough sandwiches, and it should be gone.

I've got geese in the freezer, but the expectation is prime rib for Christmas and turkey for Thanksgiving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink