U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2019, 09:38 PM

11,992 posts, read 5,122,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Yabba dabba doo! I used to have Looney Tunes glasses in the 1970s.
Ha Ha! They are my everyday drinking glasses. I think I have about 15 of them all different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2019, 09:05 PM

25,027 posts, read 23,924,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Ha Ha! They are my everyday drinking glasses. I think I have about 15 of them all different.
Fess up. Which one is your favorite?

Old 07-10-2019, 08:12 AM

3,036 posts, read 2,019,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
It's been a long time since I last saw those.

You can buy an equivalent cocktail sauce, pre-made, and many fish counters sell the little pre-cooked shrimp. It wouldn't take much to mix the two together if you are missing those old shrimp cocktails.
Nooooo! The whole point is that they came in a re-useable GLASS!

Old 07-10-2019, 07:17 PM

18,677 posts, read 23,252,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L0ve View Post
Growing up my mother would always buy little pre made shrimp cocktails that came in a clear glass jar and had a steel screw on lid. They were filled with cocktail sauce and tiny little shrimps and were soooo good.

I just remembered these and realized that I have not seen them in stores in recent memory. She must have bought them at a plain grocery store because there weren't any specialty stores around in the 80s.

Has anyone seen these, or know where to find them nowadays¿

««cell post via android »»

Yes! My favorite after school snack in HS. "Sau-Sea" shrimp cocktails. I remember they came in cute little glasses that we re-used as juice glasses.

As I recall, they had very small shrimp and lots and lots of a tomoto-y sauce. Very "saucy".

Old 07-10-2019, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
Nooooo! The whole point is that they came in a re-useable GLASS!
Yeah, it was. When I was little, mom used to buy one for me as a treat once in a while. She got the glass.

Old 07-10-2019, 07:31 PM

18,677 posts, read 23,252,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I remember them as well. We did, however usually have the "real thing" in our house. Dad would go to the fresh fish market and buy fresh jumbo shrimp. He always made homemade sauce, added a little lettuce and celery to the shrimp cocktail dish in the bottom and put the shrimp on top.

The little ones you mentioned were edible and worked when we were first married and I could afford shrimp, plus the jars were re-usable as juice glasses.

We also had the "real thing" before dinner as an appetizer. These, however, were great little snacks. To me, they didn't taste at all like actual shrimp cocktail made with fresh jumbo shrimp. a squeeze of lemon, and home made cocktail sauce, made with horseradish and ketchup.

The Sau-Sea shrimp cocktail was it's own food. The copious sauce didn't seem to have as much, or any horseradish in it.

My mother bought them as "healthy snacks". I think we kids liked them best. My parents also liked the low calorie low carb aspect.

Old 07-11-2019, 09:00 AM

71,964 posts, read 83,640,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Yes! My favorite after school snack in HS. "Sau-Sea" shrimp cocktails. I remember they came in cute little glasses that we re-used as juice glasses.

As I recall, they had very small shrimp and lots and lots of a tomoto-y sauce. Very "saucy".
very saucy but not all that good or I didn't think so. But again dad was quite the fisher man plus we had a lot of sea food stores near where we lived in So. CA so I was used to fresh seafood.

Old 07-12-2019, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
very saucy but not all that good or I didn't think so. But again dad was quite the fisher man plus we had a lot of sea food stores near where we lived in So. CA so I was used to fresh seafood.
I wouldn't eat one now, but I loved them when my age was a single digit.

I used to eat, enjoy, a lot of things that I wouldn't consider eating now.

Old 07-12-2019, 06:29 PM

2,450 posts, read 1,065,316 times
I remember my parents getting them for Sunday dinner appetizers, gotta be over 50 years ago. I was not a big fan. The lids popped off with a church key opener, not screwed off. I wonder, were they sold off the shelf or refrigerated? I can still picture the glasses, which we also reused.

Old 07-12-2019, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I remember my parents getting them for Sunday dinner appetizers, gotta be over 50 years ago. I was not a big fan. The lids popped off with a church key opener, not screwed off. I wonder, were they sold off the shelf or refrigerated? I can still picture the glasses, which we also reused.
Refrigerated.

ETA, I'm not sure if they required refrigeration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink