Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 10:42 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times

Advertisements

I remember when i was growing up my grandmother used to cook what we called "field corn" (not the sweet kind) in an iron skillet with bacon drippings, milk, salt, and pepper. That was the best tasting corn and I haven't had it in years. It went great with something like roast or pork chops.

I think the super sweet corn available in the grocery stores is disgusting. Why do they keep making it more and more sweet? I even looked at packs of seed so I could grow my own, but nope, its all sweet.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:32 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,436,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I think the super sweet corn available in the grocery stores is disgusting. Why do they keep making it more and more sweet? I even looked at packs of seed so I could grow my own, but nope, its all sweet.
Sweet corn is what is grown for people to eat fresh. Field corn is much starchier, and is grown to feed animals, and to grind into meal, and it is mostly dried.

I don't think they aren't making corn sweeter and sweeter today. If anything, I think that may be an illusion, because I remember as a child we bought sweet corn at a farmer's market that was picked that morning, and it was like candy. Today you can't buy that kind. It was so sweet it had to be eaten right away before it turned moldy. That doesn't work for grocery stores, where it can take several days just to get it to the store.

Old 02-02-2013, 05:43 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,618,945 times
I agree with D. 25yrs ago when I'd go to change water I'd eat a couple ears of sweet corn and it was much better sweeter then. But that could be due to my tastes change'n, I don't know.

Field corn is good if eaten early, if ya get to it too late it is pretty nasty....even if you have not eat'n all day and it's 110* out at 8pm. ...ok a bit of exaggeration.

I've never had cooked field corn, but have eaten plenty raw.

Old 02-02-2013, 06:50 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,494,356 times
Quote:
I remember when i was growing up my grandmother used to cook what we called "field corn" (not the sweet kind) in an iron skillet with bacon drippings, milk, salt, and pepper. That was the best tasting corn and I haven't had it in years. It went great with something like roast or pork chops.

You can buy field corn seeds at the ag store or farm supply store closest to you or by mail/internet order.

Old 02-02-2013, 07:09 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
I don't think they aren't making corn sweeter and sweeter today. If anything, I think that may be an illusion, because I remember as a child we bought sweet corn at a farmer's market that was picked that morning, and it was like candy. Today you can't buy that kind. It was so sweet it had to be eaten right away before it turned moldy. That doesn't work for grocery stores, where it can take several days just to get it to the store.
I have to disagree,

Many of the seed companies are spending millions to develop new hybrids that have a HIGHER sugar content. One of the most popular (and overpriced) is the Mirai corn which was developed in the Chicago suburbs based on some Japanese hybrids.

Twin Garden Farms, home of TGF Mirai® sweet corn | Twin Garden Farms
LTHForum.com • View topic - Mirai Corn, Harvard, Illinois

======================

To the OP, I have never cooked field corn for personal consumption. The corn would need to be harvested much earlier in the growing process.

That would be a great challenge - makes me look forward to August ...

Old 02-02-2013, 07:18 AM

17,378 posts, read 16,518,282 times
I picked up some field corn (feed corn) by mistake at the farmer's market (thought I was getting sweet corn), took it home boiled it, buttered it, salted it, everyone took a bite and - yuk! Talk about tough. I knew right away that what I had on my plate was meant for a pasture or barnyard, not the dining room table.

I suppose you could make it more edible, even tasty, by cooking it in fat with lots of seasonings but I can attest that it is not very good boiled..

Old 02-02-2013, 08:07 AM

20,935 posts, read 28,420,556 times
Never had it. I am from LI so I am only familiar with the fresh sweet corn.

Old 02-02-2013, 08:10 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I picked up some field corn (feed corn) by mistake at the farmer's market (thought I was getting sweet corn), took it home boiled it, buttered it, salted it, everyone took a bite and - yuk! Talk about tough. I knew right away that what I had on my plate was meant for a pasture or barnyard, not the dining room table.

I suppose you could make it more edible, even tasty, by cooking it in fat with lots of seasonings but I can attest that it is not very good boiled..
Yeah I doubt it would be good straight off the cob, but when it's cooked like I mentioned above its pretty good.

Old 02-02-2013, 08:20 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,870,986 times
I've had field corn, yecch. There's a strain of corn here called Olathe Sweet sweet corn. Probably the best tasting corn I've ever eaten.

Old 02-02-2013, 10:48 AM

17,378 posts, read 16,518,282 times
Quote:
Yeah I doubt it would be good straight off the cob, but when it's cooked like I mentioned above its pretty good.
I'm sure it would be delicious the way your grandma made it. Our grandmothers had a way of making the most common ingredients something special. I wish I had that knack!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.