U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-25-2013, 11:19 AM
 
Location: Mid-Atlantic east coast
5,123 posts, read 9,426,527 times
Reputation: 9441

Advertisements

Feel free to make a liar out of me! Was just eating lunch with DH and I remarked, "I bet no one is eating this for lunch."

DH said, "No one?"

And I said, "Okay, maybe just very, very few...especially here in the U.S.

So here's what we were eating:

Fried tofu mixed with steamed bok choy, tossed with home-made peanut sauce (crunchy peanut butter, garlic, hot chili sauce, soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, a bit of brown sugar, fresh minced ginger, water).

Were you eating this today for lunch?

Or were you eating something else no one--or very few--were eating?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-25-2013, 11:23 AM
 
Location: Wonderland
41,054 posts, read 32,742,081 times
Reputation: 57167
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Feel free to make a liar out of me! Was just eating lunch with DH and I remarked, "I bet no one is eating this for lunch."

DH said, "No one?"

And I said, "Okay, maybe just very, very few...especially here in the U.S.

So here's what we were eating:

Fried tofu mixed with steamed bok choy, tossed with home-made peanut sauce (crunchy peanut butter, garlic, hot chili sauce, soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, a bit of brown sugar, fresh minced ginger, water).

Were you eating this today for lunch?

Or were you eating something else no one--or very few--were eating?
Well, I had a piece of fudge today for lunch (LOL, cooking for TGiving so I'm sort of nibbling all day), but I HAVE had exactly what you've described - for lunch - not that long ago if that counts at all. We have several fabulous Thai and Vietnamese restaurants locally.

Not only that, I have nearly all those ingredients (not the fresh veggies this week though because I'm focusing on southern traditional foods this week) in my pantry. I love Vietnamese, Thai, Japanese, and Korean cuisines!

By the way, it sounds delicious and I'm jealous. I think I may have to make myself some brussel sprouts roasted with sriracha, soy sauce and honey sauce (with lime squeezed over them and sprinkled with sliced almonds) over rice for supper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2013, 11:35 AM
 
Location: Mid-Atlantic east coast
5,123 posts, read 9,426,527 times
Reputation: 9441
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Well, I had a piece of fudge today for lunch (LOL, cooking for TGiving so I'm sort of nibbling all day), but I HAVE had exactly what you've described - for lunch - not that long ago if that counts at all. We have several fabulous Thai and Vietnamese restaurants locally.

Not only that, I have nearly all those ingredients (not the fresh veggies this week though because I'm focusing on southern traditional foods this week) in my pantry. I love Vietnamese, Thai, Japanese, and Korean cuisines!

By the way, it sounds delicious and I'm jealous. I think I may have to make myself some brussel sprouts roasted with sriracha, soy sauce and honey sauce (with lime squeezed over them and sprinkled with sliced almonds) over rice for supper.
Hope you don't mind if I steal this B. Sprout recipe...I try to be good and eat Brussel Sprouts, but mostly I don't like their flavor. Your way sounds as if it would hide their flavor with something better!

And yes! Asian food rules..Thai, Vietnamese, Cambodian...love it all...we're missing this cuisine here in small town NC, (we used to live in SF with lots of great Asian eateries) so I'm learning to cook it--not too hard, really, just a lot of chopping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2013, 11:39 AM
 
Location: Bangor Maine
3,442 posts, read 5,435,885 times
Reputation: 3974
The OP lunch was a bit too much sodium for me but it was probably very tasty. I had fish fillets and a side of cottage cheese topped with fresh pineapple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2013, 12:04 PM
 
Location: Wonderland
41,054 posts, read 32,742,081 times
Reputation: 57167
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Hope you don't mind if I steal this B. Sprout recipe...I try to be good and eat Brussel Sprouts, but mostly I don't like their flavor. Your way sounds as if it would hide their flavor with something better!

And yes! Asian food rules..Thai, Vietnamese, Cambodian...love it all...we're missing this cuisine here in small town NC, (we used to live in SF with lots of great Asian eateries) so I'm learning to cook it--not too hard, really, just a lot of chopping.

You just take that brussel sprout recipe and run with it! You can either steam them and toss them with that sauce or you can roast them and then drizzle the sauce over them the last ten minutes of cooking. (Cut them in half and place them on foil in the oven on about 425, flat side down for about 15 minutes and then flip them, drizzle with the sauce and roast another 10-15 minutes.) Or just steam them - lol.

You can also use that sauce (sriracha, honey and soy sauce mixed in whatever ratios you prefer with a bit of olive oil or sesame oil drizzled in) on salmon. YUM.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 11-25-2013 at 12:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2013, 12:16 PM
 
Location: Massachusetts
5,945 posts, read 6,755,416 times
Reputation: 4278
Not a big tofu fan, but that combination sounds yummy. I had a non-vegetarian meatball sandwich for lunch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2013, 12:50 PM
 
Location: Mid-Atlantic east coast
5,123 posts, read 9,426,527 times
Reputation: 9441
Not wild about tofu myself, but when it's cubed and fried in some oil so it gets a bit crisp on the outside and poufy on the inside, it's not bad! I rarely eat fried foods so this is definitely a guilty pleasure for me.

Thanks, KA, for the details on your "Secret Sauce" --I'll be using it!

A secret sauce I like a lot, too, is a mixture of fresh lemon juice, olive oil, black or white pepper, minced garlic and some fresh basil (when available). Marinating chicken fillets in it overnight--and mixing with veggies, prior to oven roasting-- is very good.

For what it's worth, I used reduced sodium soy sauce, but there's still plenty of sodium in it, I'm sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2013, 12:52 PM
 
Location: Wonderland
41,054 posts, read 32,742,081 times
Reputation: 57167
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Not wild about tofu myself, but when it's cubed and fried in some oil so it gets a bit crisp on the outside and poufy on the inside, it's not bad! I rarely eat fried foods so this is definitely a guilty pleasure for me.

Thanks, KA, for the details on your "Secret Sauce" --I'll be using it!

A secret sauce I like a lot, too, is a mixture of fresh lemon juice, olive oil, black or white pepper, minced garlic and some fresh basil (when available). Marinating chicken fillets in it overnight--and mixing with veggies, prior to oven roasting-- is very good.

For what it's worth, I used reduced sodium soy sauce, but there's still plenty of sodium in it, I'm sure.
YUM! Sounds great! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2013, 07:34 PM
Status: "Not politically correct" (set 4 days ago)
 
Location: Western Colorado
10,554 posts, read 11,649,542 times
Reputation: 24229
Well I don't even know what most of that is. I had a hot dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2013, 08:39 PM
 
Location: Montreal, Quebec
15,087 posts, read 11,530,265 times
Reputation: 9699
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Feel free to make a liar out of me! Was just eating lunch with DH and I remarked, "I bet no one is eating this for lunch."

DH said, "No one?"

And I said, "Okay, maybe just very, very few...especially here in the U.S.

So here's what we were eating:

Fried tofu mixed with steamed bok choy, tossed with home-made peanut sauce (crunchy peanut butter, garlic, hot chili sauce, soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, a bit of brown sugar, fresh minced ginger, water).

Were you eating this today for lunch?

Or were you eating something else no one--or very few--were eating?
I made that exact same sauce last week, to eat with dumplings. I used smooth peanut butter, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top