U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 06:39 PM

41,290 posts, read 32,999,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almrausch View Post
I baked my first two 'Baumkuchen ' Global Table Adventure | Recipe: German Tree Cake (Baumtorte/Baumkuchen)

in a round shape to fit in large cookie tins and I send them tonight overseas. It is a tradition to bake Christmas cookies and send them to family and friends overseas and locally. Closer to the holidays I also bake for the homeless shelter.Because it takes me every year about 3 to 4 weeks,6 hours/day,5 days/week, I start already around this time. The smell in the house is just divine
That looks fantastic.

I love German dessert recipes. Almost without exception, I've found them to be quite intricate and sometimes time consuming, but WOW the results are worth it! And I love anything with almond paste or marzipan!

I may give this a try for Christmas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 06:42 PM

Well, Day One of the cooking extravaganza is behind me and all the ingredients for the cornbread dressing are ready to combine. What an ordeal! Honestly, cutting those onions just about does me in - I always save it for last.

Also for the first time in my life, I think I got some sort of bum chicken. When I boiled it, the thing was hard as a rock - I mean tough, tough, tough. Well, that just wouldn't do, so I had to boil another one. I mean, the first one tasted fine, it was just really tough, so I diced it up very small and I'll save it for chicken soup or chicken and dumplings.

Old 11-25-2013, 07:44 PM

2,456 posts, read 2,456,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Well, Day One of the cooking extravaganza is behind me and all the ingredients for the cornbread dressing are ready to combine. What an ordeal! Honestly, cutting those onions just about does me in - I always save it for last.
Kathryn, I've found that breathing through my mouth instead of my nose while chopping onions is very effective in combating the tears.

Old 11-25-2013, 07:49 PM

31,323 posts, read 57,548,495 times
Pumpkin pies and cranberry sauce for dinner and cranberry bread for breakfast while we watch the parades and after we've wrestled the turkey in the oven.

Old 11-25-2013, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post
Kathryn, I've found that breathing through my mouth instead of my nose while chopping onions is very effective in combating the tears.
Oh, I've tried that. Apparently I am just really hypersensitive to it. In fact, my DNA test from 23andme even told me that! LOL (And it was right.)

Absolutely incapacitating. When my husband is home, he has mercy on me and chops onions for me - because as we all know, onions are an elixer of life and I can't imagine cooking without them. But he's out of town so I was left to my own very tearful and debilitating devices!

What's really weird is that I can eat them, even eat them raw, and it doesn't bother me - it's just the cutting/chopping that gets to me.

But thanks for the advice anyway!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink