Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 02:50 PM

19,360 posts, read 27,567,150 times

Advertisements

Great site for this stuff is Old Time Candy.

Warning: the Bonomo's Turkish Taffy that has reappeared doesn't taste the same. Well, the Vanilla and the banana did, but the strawberry seemed way sweeter to me. Maybe my taste buds have changed.

But it's fun to walk down the aisles on this site, or you can go by decade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 03:03 PM

16,349 posts, read 30,053,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
I ran across it when my wife and I were in Cleveland two months ago. There was an advertising pamphlet for it in the lobby of the motel where we stayed. It was on the way to where we were going, so we stopped there. Very impressive. Certainly the biggest candy store I'd been in. They had two kinds of clove candy and Adam's clove chewing gum.

Without delving too far off topic, there are other interesting places in the Cleveland area like the Alladin pita bread bakery that are worth a stop on your pass through.

Each city has a variety of unique "eats" that mist locals can inform you of.

I would agree with you that B.A. Sweeties is a MUST stop off of I-90.

===============================

That Turkish Taffy stuff is alright and is available at 5 Below Atres. However, Doscher's French Chews are a lot better.

Doscher's Candies - Downtown - Cincinnati, OH | Yelp

Old 12-03-2013, 04:09 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,201,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Without delving too far off topic, there are other interesting places in the Cleveland area like the Alladin pita bread bakery that are worth a stop on your pass through.

Each city has a variety of unique "eats" that mist locals can inform you of.

We were on our way from B. A. Sweetie to the Cleveland Museum of Natural History when we happened to spot a sign for the "A Christmas Story" house. Had to stop there, too.

In Baltimore, the notable local sweets would be Goetze (say "Gets") caramel creams (made here, but available nationwide), Berger cookies, Mary Sue Easter eggs, and Rheb's candies.

Old 12-03-2013, 05:14 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,554,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
I adored rock candy and maple sugar treats as a kid. I know you can make rock candy nowadays but I loved picking out the sparkling rock candy on a string as a kid.
I LOVE maple sugar candy -- never had any as a kid, but went crazy for it the first time I visited New England. Now, any time I head north, I make sure to bring some back.

Rock candy was too hard and pointy for me.

I did go to a penny candy store as a kid -- loved Mary Janes, small jaw breakers, dots on paper, and those stretchy candy necklaces (but they cost more).

Old 12-03-2013, 05:15 PM

18,837 posts, read 37,201,329 times
Anyone driving through Montana needs to go to Phillipsburg, there is a huge old fashioned candy store there, they make fresh taffy, fudge, brittles...off the beaten track, but worth a drive off I 90 to go there.
http://www.sweetpalace.com/

Last edited by jasper12; 12-03-2013 at 10:21 PM.. Reason: Added limk

Old 12-03-2013, 05:18 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,750,605 times
I love "Banana Splits" - those chunky, soft, and chewy taffies wrapped in yellow wax paper. I still see them on occasion.

Old 12-03-2013, 10:09 PM

3,199 posts, read 7,790,136 times
I remember Lik a Maid where you dip the candy stick which you lick into colored sugar coating.
Push pops and ring pops
Bubble tape
This is a cookie/candy but PB Maxx
The candy necklaces but they had candy rings and bracelets too

Old 12-04-2013, 12:25 AM

6,403 posts, read 7,601,275 times
I find Claey's hard candies at the Dollar Store and Michael's Craft Store.

I like the horehound and cherry flavors best.

Old 12-04-2013, 03:15 AM

19,954 posts, read 29,993,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I love "Banana Splits" - those chunky, soft, and chewy taffies wrapped in yellow wax paper. I still see them on occasion.

i liked these too, and the minty green ones too, also liked the squirrel nutty candies

i liked marathon bars,,,charleston chews, and hersheys and swedish fish

i love sweets,,,and still love candy but try not to eat it,,,love the twix bars, kit kats,

sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you dont

Old 12-04-2013, 08:44 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,391,368 times
I remember Clove, Blackjack, and Chicklets gum. I also remember Zero candy bars, Black Cows, and Sugar Daddy caramels bars (which could pull every cavity in your mouth out).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink