Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you eat for Christmas Dinner?
Goose 1 4.00%
Ham 6 24.00%
Turkey 6 24.00%
Beef 3 12.00%
Coon 3 12.00%
Fish 2 8.00%
Something else (put in post please) 4 16.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 06:19 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,305,220 times

Advertisements

We had goose a few times at Christmas in the past and the only way we could really like it is if we did it on the rotisserie. That way it wasn't greasy and a lot of the fat would drip off. I also made a great plum sauce--yummy. But it is a lot of work and we now live where the weather could very well prohibit using the bbq sooo I think we will go with ham----IF I can find a decent ham!!! Seems like they are few and far between nowdays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2007, 07:11 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,432,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
Okay, Thanksgiving is officially over and the Christmas season is upon us. I need help. My wife and I go through this every year, and every year it's not decided 'til the last grocery trip on the 23rd...what is for Christmas dinner? First I will say we always have French Dip for Christmas Eve ( a longstanding tradition from my childhood). We've just had turkey for Thanksgiving so no one is much for turkey. I'm not an advocate for ham, my wife loves it, I can do without it. So my question...what's left? I know there is so much out there but I can never think past the three options of beef, ham or turkey. If I could get away with doing sushi I would...but then I'd be spending Christmas day downstairs away from everyone else. Not a good idea! Or is it?? Anyway...please help! (and the thread title is Christmas goose is a running joke in my extended family...LONG story, disappointing ending unless you were there).
Here's what I usually make for Christmas, and it's definitely NOT another Turkey!
I usually make a Herb encrusted Prime Standing Rib Roast or Beef Tenderloin.
I used to make a Venison roast, Rabbit or Pheasant....but, since I moved to Florida can't get that stuff anymore. (Everyone I know in PA hunts!)
And, IF you are able to find any of it down there in FL, it is outrages in price!
Concerning the Sushi? I DO serve Sushi...but only as appetizers, and not as the main meal.
They make all Veggie pieces as well.....so, no one has to be offended by the raw fish, because they don't need to eat it.
There are compromise and choices.....LOL.....thank God for that option!

Old 11-27-2007, 06:33 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,654,480 times
We usually do ham AND a turkey breast. Not the whole bird as we are still burnt out on Thanksgiving left overs

But that herb encrusted roast is sounding good right now...

Old 11-27-2007, 06:41 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,432,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmewright View Post
We usually do ham AND a turkey breast. Not the whole bird as we are still burnt out on Thanksgiving left overs

But that herb encrusted roast is sounding good right now...
I am going to find that recipe, and will post it.
It's an Herb encrusted Standing Rib Roast (Prime Rib, and ALL FRESH HERBS!), but works well with Tenderloin as well (Tried it).
I got the recipe from a German woman's magazine (called Tina) and had to translate it.
Watch for it in the "Recipe" thread....

Old 11-29-2007, 05:38 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,374,088 times
When I was in New mexico, we useally had tamales and posole, on Christmas eve we would go to my God parents for an open house, My God fatrher made the best carne avada, he also made great homemade liqures. I think I am going to try a goose this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink