Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 04:30 PM

20,838 posts, read 28,170,246 times

Advertisements

Christmas eve will be:

Shrimp cocktail platter from my local seafood store
3 ft. Italian hero that has fried eggplant, roasted red peppers, provolone, ham, salami and pepperoni
Mesculin salad with goat cheese, dried cranberries, walnuts and balsamic.
Spinach dip
Swedish meatballs-I am making these
Rice pilaf-Making this
BBQ ribs
Pigs in a blanket
Cheese and crackers
Farfalle pasta with broccoli, garlic and oil.

Most of the foods are ordered from a great place we like to make it easier for all of us. It's informal and buffet style. Ha been this way at my mom's for 20 years

Christmas day is at my SIL, not sure what we are having.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2013, 04:34 PM

14,785 posts, read 23,967,294 times
Everyday food because of this dump of an apt I live in because our maintenance men cannot fix anything right and Im done with this place !! So we can only use the cook top portion of our stove cause our oven is a hole in the wall ...Hopefully next place I move will have an oven that works and a dishwasher ..and a patio . So just everyday food .

Old 12-13-2013, 04:52 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,209,429 times
Well its not set in stone yet but I'm planning on:
Smoked Salmon, both cold smoked and warm smoked
Salted salmon
Pickled herring
Christmas bread
Christmas ham
Potato casserole
Swede casserole
Maybe Rosolli salad (beetroot salad)

I'm strongly considering adding in Prawn Cocktail for a touch of Britishness

Old 12-13-2013, 05:08 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,783,297 times
Already a thread on this, but I'll be smoking a brisket, ribs and sausage, along with a ham.

Old 12-13-2013, 06:16 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,526,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
Well its not set in stone yet but I'm planning on:
Smoked Salmon, both cold smoked and warm smoked
Salted salmon
Pickled herring
Christmas bread
Christmas ham
Potato casserole
Swede casserole
Maybe Rosolli salad (beetroot salad)

I'm strongly considering adding in Prawn Cocktail for a touch of Britishness
I do envy your having three types of salmon. I'll have cold smoked; the hot smoked here is too chewy. What is salted salmon? Is it dried or soaked in brine? I'll join you for pickled herring, then have oyster stew and Swedish potato sausage.

Please tell me what your potato casserole and Swede casserole are, perhaps recipes if you have time. I had planned mashed potatoes but always like to try new ideas.

I'll get some Genoa salami sliced thin, then I spread each slice with a thin layer of cream cheese stacking them up. I then put the stacks in the freezer for about a half hour, then remove them and slice into eight wedges. A toothpick in each finishes the job.

Old 12-13-2013, 07:15 PM

652 posts, read 1,645,390 times
Christmas eve roast pork dinner, Christmas day filet mignon. I'm guessing because I am going to eat at relatives homes and that's what they always make.

Old 12-14-2013, 01:11 AM

7,969 posts, read 7,308,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Everyday food because of this dump of an apt I live in because our maintenance men cannot fix anything right and Im done with this place !! So we can only use the cook top portion of our stove cause our oven is a hole in the wall ...Hopefully next place I move will have an oven that works and a dishwasher ..and a patio . So just everyday food .
It's tough, but it can be done. One year, before our old stove finally gave out, DH invited his family for Christmas dinner, and I had no working oven and only two functioning stovetop burners. I did have a roaster, which I used to prepare a turkey breast, and the two stovetop burners and a microwave for vegetables and sides. It wasn't up to my usual feast, but we got by. DH's family is mostly vegetarian anyway, and some members eat only vegan raw, so I had a raw vegetable salad and fresh fruit cup. Nobody went hungry.

Old 12-14-2013, 05:45 AM

19,959 posts, read 30,024,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowSoFlorida View Post
Christmas eve roast pork dinner, Christmas day filet mignon. I'm guessing because I am going to eat at relatives homes and that's what they always make.
this sounds delicious

Old 12-14-2013, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I do envy your having three types of salmon. I'll have cold smoked; the hot smoked here is too chewy. What is salted salmon? Is it dried or soaked in brine? I'll join you for pickled herring, then have oyster stew and Swedish potato sausage.

Please tell me what your potato casserole and Swede casserole are, perhaps recipes if you have time. I had planned mashed potatoes but always like to try new ideas.

I'll get some Genoa salami sliced thin, then I spread each slice with a thin layer of cream cheese stacking them up. I then put the stacks in the freezer for about a half hour, then remove them and slice into eight wedges. A toothpick in each finishes the job.
Its cured with salt, sugar and dill for a few days until the juices run out.

I'll look up the casserole recipes for you later today.

Old 12-14-2013, 08:40 AM

I found the recipes in English that seem pretty much the same as the ones I follow, here's the potato casserole Sweetened Potato Casserole Imelletty Perunalaatikko) Recipe - Food.com - 196989 but where it says drizzle treacle on top, I don't do that, instead I put a few pats of butter on top
And the swede casserole Lanttulaatikko Recipe (Finnish mashed rutabaga casserole) | Finland | Whats4Eats add in nutmeg as well as the ginger and white pepper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink