Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 03:23 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,418,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldyViolet View Post
It took me a while to acquire my taste for hummus. When I first tried it I didn't like the texture at all. Now I love it. My favorite is roasted red pepper hummus deviled eggs. SO GOOD!
Interesting combination. Curious if you mix cooked egg yolks w/ hummus and refill cooked egg whites - ? I like hummus, most kinds esp. the garlic or plain. THe pine nuts are pretty good too (sabra?). Tried making it myself a while back and it was a big mess, not worth the aggravation. Not familiar w/ hummus cheese at all unless it's mixed w/ something like cheesewhiz - ? I like hummus and cheesewhiz occasionally but think Id prefer them both separately.

Old 12-16-2013, 03:36 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,153,320 times
Love hummus.
Love (most) cheese.
I'm sure I've had both together, such as on a sandwich or in a salad but have never heard of "hummus cheese."

Old 12-16-2013, 03:59 PM

1,566 posts, read 2,158,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeycrisp View Post
Interesting combination. Curious if you mix cooked egg yolks w/ hummus and refill cooked egg whites - ? I like hummus, most kinds esp. the garlic or plain. THe pine nuts are pretty good too (sabra?). Tried making it myself a while back and it was a big mess, not worth the aggravation. Not familiar w/ hummus cheese at all unless it's mixed w/ something like cheesewhiz - ? I like hummus and cheesewhiz occasionally but think Id prefer them both separately.
Yes, for the deviled eggs, I mix the hard boiled egg yolks with the roasted red pepper hummus. (I use Sabra). It's delicious. And yes, the pine nuts flavor is wonderful too!

Old 12-16-2013, 04:03 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,221,245 times
The history of hummus | Top Food Facts

Discovered hummus over 30 years ago and still make my own. It's been around for centuries.
I'm sure someone has created some type of variation of the original recipe to add cheese.

Old 12-16-2013, 04:04 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,729,615 times
hummus cheese is just hummus (mostly from nuts) that is a substitute for cheese, its nothing like cheese but vegans or veggies will use it in place of regular cheese.

Old 12-16-2013, 07:52 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,948,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldyViolet View Post
Yes, for the deviled eggs, I mix the hard boiled egg yolks with the roasted red pepper hummus. (I use Sabra). It's delicious. And yes, the pine nuts flavor is wonderful too!
Yay! I was going to ask you for your recipe. I love the Sabra spicy red pepper & Pita Pal brand, too. They are both smooth in texture--I bought my store brand (H-E-B) & it was grainy. Back to Sabra & Pita Pal.
I'd make it from scratch but my husband won't touch it, so not worth the effort just for me.

Old 12-16-2013, 09:08 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,317,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeycrisp View Post
Mess and aggravation? I just put chick peas, tahini, lemon juice, olive oil, fresh garlic, salt and a bit of water in my Magic Bullet.
Voila! Hummus! No fuss, no muss.

Old 12-16-2013, 09:43 PM

358 posts, read 512,100 times
Hummus is okay, not very interesting. Cheese is delightful.

I'd rather have a big old slab o' cow, burnt and bloody.

Old 12-16-2013, 09:44 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,226,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
hummus cheese is just hummus (mostly from nuts) that is a substitute for cheese, its nothing like cheese but vegans or veggies will use it in place of regular cheese.
I still have trouble seeing how hummus could be substituted for cheese in any way. Hummus isn't made from nuts either, it's made with chickpeas.
I believe there IS nut cheese, which is what you're probably referring to, eaten by vegans, however it has nothing to do with hummus...

Old 12-16-2013, 09:48 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,418,446 times
Trust me, it was a big mess. I used all the ingredients you mentioned, even bought tahini (which I havent used since), maybe the difference was the Magic Bullet v a regular blender but oh my, it was no fun cleaning it up and bottom line, it didnt even taste that good. Also had a similar mess when I made chopped liver several years ago - prob. the blender wasnt the best thing to use but it was handy - cooked the liver, cooked the hard-boiled eggs and cut everything real small, cut the onions real fine before plopping in the blender (which I did in small amounts along w/ mayonnaise) - I made it on a hot summer day bc I can still remember I had an audience of several flies - anyway, that was the end of that adventure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink