Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 10:04 AM

2,374 posts, read 2,762,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheotherMarie View Post
And I'm guessing you got real food, too, instead of mass-produced, reheated, food full of chemicals.

Right. So many of the eateries were Mom n Pop establishments, not the chains chains and more chains of today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 11:16 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,548,139 times
I'm very happy to say that my town has more locally owned places now. We still have the chains but I like going to those that are local. Many of them do a great job. One chain I do enjoy is Longhorn. Most of the chains here seem to be out in the Mall area and locals seem to be in the old downtown, which is closer for me anyway.

Old 12-18-2013, 12:19 PM

1,566 posts, read 2,159,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This all depends on where you ate back then, and now. Real glasses? What restaurants don't have real glasses (other than fast food places)? There were places with baskets of crackers or rolls then, and salads with "real" greens, not iceberg, back then, and there still are now. And there was fresh-made vinaigrette back then, too. It depends on where you chose to dine.
I think "real glasses" meaning not the hard plastic ones that a lot of restaurants use. (Mostly chains it seems).

Old 12-18-2013, 02:14 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,809,001 times
How about the background Muzak?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdJWZxPW45c

Old 12-18-2013, 02:28 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,407,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
And no one was yapping on a cell phone. I remember being at dinner once and the waiter brought the house phone to another table. Seems the guy was a Doctor and had an important call. After he hung up, the Doctor apologized for the "disturbance". Can you imagine anyone apologizing today?
Wow. No, I can't. People are oblivious and pretty disrespectful of others these days.

Old 12-18-2013, 02:31 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
The MAJOR difference between dining today and 30 years ago is that in the past, people knew how to service and took great pride in delivering good service.

Old 12-18-2013, 03:19 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
I gotta say overall I prefer a more modern dining experience ...
Certainly there are more options these days. From the most to the least expensive price ranges, we all have more choices. More people eat out so there is an audience for more restaurants. And because people are more widely traveled, there is an interest in the cuisine of other cultures. I have to laugh even thinking of telling my late father he should try a Thai restaurant or get take-out from a Middle Eastern place. He wouldn't even eat casseroles. To him, all dinners had to have brown, white, and green components and they needed to be separated on the plate.

Old 12-18-2013, 03:25 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,087,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
How about the background Muzak?
My maternal grandfather had the first Chinese restaurant in Atlanta (read Chinese-American food being served and guests thought it was exotic to eat a steak at a Chinese restaurant). There are family photos of his restaurant and patrons. All the diners were dressed to the 9's - men in suits and ladies in dresses. He had a 'cigarette girl' working at his establishment and had Muzak playing in his restaurant. I have a piece of his restaurant's stationary and it proudly states "music provided by Muzak".

Old 12-18-2013, 03:29 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Chong View Post
My maternal grandfather had the first Chinese restaurant in Atlanta (read Chinese-American food being served and guests thought it was exotic to eat a steak at a Chinese restaurant). There are family photos of his restaurant and patrons. All the diners were dressed to the 9's - men in suits and ladies in dresses. He had a 'cigarette girl' working at his establishment and had Muzak playing in his restaurant. I have a piece of his restaurant's stationary and it proudly states "music provided by Muzak".
i remember 30 yrs ago going to a chinese restaurant, having a pupu platter (i know its not genuine chinese food) but we thought it was delicious,,and the small Asian waitresses were very pretty

Old 12-18-2013, 03:39 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,161,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Certainly there are more options these days. From the most to the least expensive price ranges, we all have more choices. More people eat out so there is an audience for more restaurants. And because people are more widely traveled, there is an interest in the cuisine of other cultures. I have to laugh even thinking of telling my late father he should try a Thai restaurant or get take-out from a Middle Eastern place. He wouldn't even eat casseroles. To him, all dinners had to have brown, white, and green components and they needed to be separated on the plate.
Oh, I know a few people like this and they are not all of an "older generation" either! But, I now live in the Upper Midwest where people as a general rule (stereotype alert!) tend to be wary and conservative about their food choices.

I do think personally that it's valuable to experience all sorts of dining experiences. But I've always had a soift spot for American diners. And also for the "Brown Derby" type restaurants where we all dressed nicely, watched our table manners and received impeccable and formal service. I like that. It makes the meal seem more special, even if it's sort of mediocre.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink