Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 01:06 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,478,979 times

Advertisements

I have been to Applebee's a number of times and have never been asked my name. I would rather have the waitress come to the table 5 times and ask how things were than not have her show up at all and have to ask for the check, which has happened to me at a number of places.

Old 01-07-2014, 06:24 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,882,711 times
Maybe they were just trying to make it interesting for a change. You can tell by their demeanor when they ask. If they were being serious about it and writing it down for a table of 2, then it's weird.

At Famous Dave's here, every waiter introduces themself as Famous _____. It's just to be different. Maybe your waiter was just being special for tips.

Old 01-07-2014, 07:48 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,839,973 times
Being single, I eat out a lot, probably 4 nights a week. I see some really great servers and some really horrible servers, and it isn't always that a place like Applebees has one or the other. I have been in some really small, inexpensive restaurants and found a server who was very professional and right there doing all the right things, and I have been in some 5 star restaurants where the server was lousy.

As for the server asking everyone's names, WTH is going on with that ? Never seen that in my entire life ! Very bizarre. I would call the manager and ask if that is some cutsie little gimmick they came up with or is the server thinking up ways to get friendlier with the diners on her own. I would have been shocked if some server did that to me and might have said, "Why do you want to know ?" I would tell the manager I found that over the top and offensive.

Some things that really make a bad server are:

1) Not showing up immediately when you are seated to take your drink order and to go over the menu and specials.

2) Not being somewhat friendly and showing that they know their menu.

3) Being overly friendly.........don't sit down at our table to write the order, we didn't invite you out for dinner !

4) Not showing back up occasionally to check on if you need a drink refill or something else. (Funny how they suddenly get very helpful right before the check comes though.......tip time !) I've actually stopped another server and said "If you see our server and she is still alive, would you send her our way please ?"

5) Bringing COLD FOOD. You know it sat finished in the kitchen for a while and the server simply didn't pick it up in a timely fashion.

I overtip when I get good service, maybe even 25-35%, and always tell the server thank you for that service. But I will put down a reduced tip when I get lousy service and do not feel bad about that one bit. If I worked on tips I would bust my tail to make sure I earned the biggest ones I could get.

Don

Old 01-07-2014, 08:12 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,540,294 times
We're not the Applebee's type folks. We'd rather eat somewhere like Huddle House (love their stuffed hash browns!!). But we have eaten at Applebee's before and haven't had any trouble. As far as the waitress asking everybody's name, if their memory is that good, when they come back around they could ask, Joe do you need a refill? or Jane, was everything OK? As far as them coming around often, I'd rather them come and check up on us than to ignore us. I've had that happen a lot.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:19 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sade693 View Post
It's the norm for pedestrian chain restaurants, yes. I can't imagine anyone goes to Olive Garden expecting imaginative, authentic food.

I don't know where you live, but every place I've lived has had fabulous local establishments that make their own food fresh. Don't go to chains if you can help it.

Where I live now, Boston, or last place, SF, yes.

But there are part of the country where Red Lobster is the seafood place, and Olive Garden is the italian place. Many parts, actually. I've lived in a few.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:21 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
IMO, Applebee's is one step away from going out of business. The entire chain.

They used to be good 20 years ago. But Applepee's has not really kept up/changed/improved. Their menu is awful, their décor is late 1980s. Their service is terrible.

I went to my local Applebee's a few months ago. Decided it's my last time stepping foot in any Applebee's, ever. Here was my experience

1) No hostess was there to seat us. The place was 3/4 empty. After maybe 5 minutes standing there we found a server and asked if we can be seated. The server found the hostess who then said "Oh, I saw you there but thought you were leaving".

2) ordered a Margarita with light ice. Their particular margarita comes in a mug. They bring me my drink half filled. They explained it's normally filled to the top with ice but since I wanted light ice, they left that part empty.

3) Wanted to eat healthy. It was near impossible to find anything healthy on the menu that wasn't a salad. All their competition has changed over the years to add some healthy menu items. Not Applebee's.

4) It was dark outside. When it was time to leave, they forgot to turn on the exterior lighting. The front door area/sidewalk was pitch black. The parking lot was pitch black. You needed a flashlight to see where you were.

I sadly said goodbye to Applebee's. Forever.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:56 AM

1,115 posts, read 2,497,977 times
I used to love Applebee's a few years ago, but they've gone way downhill. The meal portions got super kid's meal sized small, and the prices are still high. I also remember they charged my like $9.95 for a margarita one time and I freaked out when I saw the price. The waitress just said you never asked the price. It was worse because I've gotten margaritas there for $2!

Old 01-07-2014, 09:11 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,442,098 times
I'm not familiar with a restaurant where outstanding cuisine is always served and wonder where anyone finds such a place, how often they dine there and what type service they enjoy? It seems odd so many think Applebees doesn't meet their standards. I'm not sure I believe it, not that it matters. lol I think the complainers are going to complain no matter what and I don't think Applebees is beneath anyone who thinks it is. My brother's wife finds fault with her food, no matter if it is a 5 star place in Paris, London or NYC. She signals a server and it starts. I tend to associate it with delusions of grandeur...

Old 01-07-2014, 09:29 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
I'm not familiar with a restaurant where outstanding cuisine is always served and wonder where anyone finds such a place, how often they dine there and what type service they enjoy? It seems odd so many think Applebees doesn't meet their standards. I'm not sure I believe it, not that it matters. lol I think the complainers are going to complain no matter what and I don't think Applebees is beneath anyone who thinks it is. My brother's wife finds fault with her food, no matter if it is a 5 star place in Paris, London or NYC. She signals a server and it starts. I tend to associate it with delusions of grandeur...

I can't agree. When I can go to any mom and pop thai, chinese, greek, indian, or even neo american hole in the wall place and a get vastly tastier and fresher food with better service for the same price, why would you actually go to a place that does not cook the food on site?

I mean, seriously.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:23 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,442,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I can't agree. When I can go to any mom and pop thai, chinese, greek, indian, or even neo american hole in the wall place and a get vastly tastier and fresher food with better service for the same price, why would you actually go to a place that does not cook the food on site?

I mean, seriously.
How do you know they don't cook the food on site?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink