Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 07:09 AM

113 posts, read 152,313 times

Advertisements

I've never seen this as an issue. If you cook from scratch, you just cut down the portions you're cooking.

And washing 2-4 dishes is a non issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 07:44 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times
People with families get tired of cooking too It is just drudge work, having to dirty the same dishes and wash them day after day. My husband doesn't understand why I like to go to a restaurant once in a while, just to have a break.

If I were only cooking for myself, I'd probably have a grilled chicken breast and vegetables every day. There are lots of different ways to season the chicken to make it taste like a different meal, and I never get bored with grilled vegetables...zucchini, eggplant, bell peppers, and so on. Then I'd only have the grill to clean.

Another idea is to cook a bunch of chicken and then shred it. Portion it out and freeze it. Then use it for casseroles, chicken salad, tacos, enchiladas, etc.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:07 AM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
I do get sick of cooking just for myself sometimes, too, but when I do cook, I often make enough for several meals and that way I don't have to cook every night. For me, it has more to do with time. I work long hours most days and have a very long commute. I get up at 5 a.m. and when I stroll in the door at 7 or 7:30, I want to eat right away, not cook.

I lucked out for most of this week because we had our family Christmas party last Saturday. We all bring food, so there were leftovers from everyone to take home, and then on Sunday a friend called and said she had made a pot of turkey matzo ball soup. It was very thick and good and I had it for lunch three times!

It's amazing how many dishes I can use sometimes, lol. I don't have a dishwasher, either, but I don't need one. It really only takes a few minutes to wash them. Again, sometimes those very few dishes sit in the sink for a day or two because once I sit down and eat, I'm shot. Exhausted. There isn't much free time left at night. On weeknights when I have meetings or activities, I just buy food. There's often no time to even stop home between getting off the train and getting to where I have to be.

Old 01-10-2014, 10:44 AM

1,871 posts, read 2,097,634 times
I have considered investing in a food saver because there are times when I cook meals and start to get sick of it all and just want someone else to share the responsibilities. I have to follow a gluten free diet which also can be a pain in the ass. At my current job I work 2nd shift and get so tired of having to cook food that I have started going to burger king after work about once a week but have been trying to stop but it gets old cooking for myself. I tend to cook more on the weekends when I have time to cook throughout the day and can enjoy it. Just hard on the weekdays with 2nd shift and coming home ravenous. Thanks for letting me vent about this topic.

Old 01-10-2014, 10:53 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
Nope. I love to cook. I prepare meals in bulk on the weekends and eat them throughtout the week. This dramatically reduces cooking time.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:13 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,741,992 times
Why do you need to eat something different every day? I cook twice a week, at most.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:17 AM

20,758 posts, read 19,964,416 times
Get a freezer.

Nothing better than a homecooked meal.

You can't seriously compare premade food to something you have cooked and prepared yourself.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:21 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,223,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigh110 View Post
why yes,yes I am tired of cooking but one stills need to eat so the cooking will continue for the foreseeable future!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
People with families get tired of cooking too It is just drudge work, having to dirty the same dishes and wash them day after day. My husband doesn't understand why I like to go to a restaurant once in a while, just to have a break.
Been doing it for over 35 years (you know was a "supermom" or some call it "second shift") and yes, I'm
tired of cooking, I still have to cook but gosh I'm exhausted.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:23 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Why do you need to eat something different every day? I cook twice a week, at most.
It makes life more interesting, if everyday is the same what else is there left to live for?

Old 01-10-2014, 11:32 AM

5,333 posts, read 8,542,738 times
I enjoy cooking as a pastime, when I can relax. But during the week, I do get tired of cooking.

Years ago, I lived in a tiny studio apartment that had very small refrigerator, and an even smaller freezer. I think I could fit about 4 frozen entrees in that thing. I finally bought a separate small freezer because that was the key item I needed in order just to cook for myself.

With a freezer, anything is possible in terms of cooking.

I like to bake, and I keep a supply of homemade cookie dough, biscuits, and pie dough in the freezer, so that when I get a craving, I can just pull something out and bake it fresh.

Soup is probably the easiest item to freeze. I have a bunch of small plastic containers (the disposable kind you can buy at a supermarket). When I cook soup, I just fill up a bunch of those, and then I'll have 8-10 servings of soup to eat in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink