Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 08:32 PM

65 posts, read 75,679 times

Advertisements

It seems so exhausting to cook for yourself. Day after day, meal after meal. Always doing the dishes.

One thing that really sucks is portions. Most things are designed for families. If I buy something, I have to practically eat it every day or it will go to waste. I can't stand eating something twice in a row.

Money isn't an issue to me, but in order to eat something different every day I practically spend as much money as I would buying pre made meals at Central Market or Whole Foods. That's not including the time I would save cooking and washing dishes. Hmmm I think I just made up my mind while writing this.

Any other single people aggravated at the food options or have you found another way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 09:37 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,323,230 times
Nope. I love to cook, and I think I'm very good at it. If I make a batch of food, I eat what I can and freeze the rest. Why is this not an option for you?

Old 01-09-2014, 09:40 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
A food saver machine and a freezer are a single person's friend in the kitchen.
Also good for couples with no children at home.
I put portions in each bag or double portions then freeze and mark what it is.
When I want that particular dish I toss the bag in a boiling pot of water until it is heated through completely.

Old 01-09-2014, 10:16 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,682,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayak4fun View Post
It seems so exhausting to cook for yourself. Day after day, meal after meal. Always doing the dishes.

One thing that really sucks is portions. Most things are designed for families. If I buy something, I have to practically eat it every day or it will go to waste. I can't stand eating something twice in a row.

Money isn't an issue to me, but in order to eat something different every day I practically spend as much money as I would buying pre made meals at Central Market or Whole Foods. That's not including the time I would save cooking and washing dishes. Hmmm I think I just made up my mind while writing this.

Any other single people aggravated at the food options or have you found another way?
You could always eat out a lot. That's a whole lot easier than fixing food all the time. On the other hand, if you like cooking, cook.

As for the dishes? You have a dishwasher?

Old 01-09-2014, 11:04 PM

3,199 posts, read 7,826,851 times
I am single but not a big cook. I do really quick simple things and do eat prepackaged. What about freezing the large portions?

Old 01-09-2014, 11:05 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,323,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
You could always eat out a lot. That's a whole lot easier than fixing food all the time. On the other hand, if you like cooking, cook.

As for the dishes? You have a dishwasher?
I don't. I live in a tiny cottage without a dishwasher hookup. What's the big deal about doing a few dishes by hand, anyway? You can do them in the time it takes to watch a commercial break on TV.
Instead of being grateful that we live in a country where we have enough to eat, we complain about cleaning up after a hearty meal.
First world problems.

Old 01-10-2014, 02:39 AM

4,939 posts, read 3,314,385 times
Long ago I used to cook for myself and back then grocery shops did have single portion/smaller sized portions I have never been in a US grocery shop but larger cities/towns with lots of single cooking people would/should have these items. Cooked rice you can save half for next day or even day after and make a stir-fry. Larger freezer vegetable bags or fruit bags you can remove what you need. A meat counter with a good butcher can make up smaller meat cuts for you. A smaller sized whole chicken you can roast eat from it, next day use some leftovers or for a salad or add to sandwiches etc , the carcass can be reused for soup or broth. Things you can cook and freeze a portion or portions and use week(s) later or so. Dishwashing can be even after 33 yrs in my case a time when you think about things plan meals etc. Paper plates instead of a dish. There is an old Sunset cookbook title " Cooking for Two...or Just for you " it is a great book to have I bought mine when I was single end 70's. Sometimes Amazon has this. Stir fry is a good option. At the fruit and vegetable section weigh out and price what you need. Single or twin pieces of fruit, 2 handfuls leaf vegetables, 1 bell pepper etc. Citrus fruits cut into slices and freeze that way you always have some on hand instead of that half lemon that went off just when you need it. Back in my single days long ago I went grocery shopping twice a week and had enough variety to eat different foods daily so it can be done. One thing some single people here do is find someone who is also tired of cooking/eating alone and then they cook and at each others place by turn sort of food cooking friends.

Old 01-10-2014, 02:46 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Cooking for one.
https://www.google.ca/#q=recipes+for+one&safe=active

Old 01-10-2014, 03:56 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
"money isnt an issue for me"

someday, id like to be able to say this!!!

if you dont have to cook, you dont have to-buy it all prepped, or take out

the older i get, the more i like to cook, i like to cook a whole chicken or pork roast,, i love how the house smells

my 2 cent suggestion to you,,, is buy a vac sealer ...vac seal left overs
or
if you cook for more than 1, vac seal portions for another day-

the whole solution is planning ahead,,,mix it up - vac seal and freeze,, for another day

plan ahead,,,and work your plan..

Old 01-10-2014, 04:00 AM

814 posts, read 2,043,394 times
why yes,yes I am tired of cooking but one stills need to eat so the cooking will continue for the foreseeable future!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink