Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 09:11 PM

15,546 posts, read 11,973,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Sorry, but I have to call the bluff. Do you feel the same about Lamb or Chicken given the practice you're referring to has largely been phased out?
Could you provide some information to back this up? Seems like the living conditions for the calves are still poor.

Old 02-10-2019, 11:12 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,800,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I noticed that some restaurants replaced veal with pork and still call it Veal Parmigiana...
Please explain the how and why of that. It has to be illegal.

Old 02-10-2019, 11:19 PM

61,438 posts, read 86,549,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Please explain the how and why of that. It has to be illegal.
Well. They keep the name, but also explained that's a breaded pork cuttlet. So, no crime there. Otherwise I would be first to set them straight.

Old 02-10-2019, 11:24 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,800,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Well. They keep the name, but also explained that's a breaded pork cuttlet. So, no crime there. Otherwise I would be first to set them straight.
You mean...

"VEAL PARMIGIANA (made with pork) with linguini and marinara...$23.95"

Really? Where is this?

Old 02-11-2019, 02:27 AM

1,890 posts, read 2,521,569 times
I used to like to eat veal parmigiana as a kid but when I found out how veal was made I immediately stopped. I realize most of us are omnivores and there's nothing wrong with killing animals for food but I don't want to buy meat where the animal is made to suffer unnecessarily.

Old 02-11-2019, 03:36 AM

27,047 posts, read 13,311,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
veal cutlets are on many menus...even in maine…

most of my stores sell veal cutlets and veal stew

lobster is a controversial food??

never heard that one...maybe from the vegans and peta ...but that's less than 5% of the population..
I said such foods were controversial, and they are, in terms of Lobster it is how it is killed that raises the controversy.

Whilst some legislation is in place in many parts of Europe, whether you eat such foods is often down to your own personal views.

In terms of Veal, home grown Rose Veal is more ethical than live calfs shipped in crates which is largely banned, however veal isn't popular where I live and accounts for just 0.1% of the meat with fewer than one in 100 households consuming it.

Foie gras is not produced in many western nations, indeed it would be illegal to produce under animal welfare laws due to the welfare problems associated.

It really depends on the country, and their laws as well as the values held by much of the population.

Last edited by Brave New World; 02-11-2019 at 03:45 AM..

Old 02-11-2019, 05:56 AM

27,015 posts, read 43,625,240 times
Quote:
That's changing thanks to customer demand for humanely-raised product. I've been buying the Strauss brand of Veal for awhile due to their raising practices, which is now no different to how pasture-raised beef, pork and chicken is raised as well. You can find Strauss Veal at Whole Foods Market and Publix.

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/13/d...e-methods.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
I used to like to eat veal parmigiana as a kid but when I found out how veal was made I immediately stopped. I realize most of us are omnivores and there's nothing wrong with killing animals for food but I don't want to buy meat where the animal is made to suffer unnecessarily.
Apparently you didn't read the article...that's largely no longer the case.

Old 02-11-2019, 06:03 AM

27,015 posts, read 43,625,240 times
Quote:
That's changing thanks to customer demand for humanely-raised product. I've been buying the Strauss brand of Veal for awhile due to their raising practices, which is now no different to how pasture-raised beef, pork and chicken is raised as well. You can find Strauss Veal at Whole Foods Market and Publix.

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/13/d...e-methods.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Could you provide some information to back this up? Seems like the living conditions for the calves are still poor.
Whole Foods Market has animal welfare standards for each of the types of meat it sells. If those practices aren't followed, they won't carry it and are very strict regarding inspection, with continual oversight. Strauss is also a very reputable company that has a mission to maintain those standards, and mirrors that of Whole Foods criteria.

https://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/dep...t/article/veal
Veal | Strauss Brands

Old 02-11-2019, 07:05 AM

24,544 posts, read 18,131,350 times
So veal-lobster surf & turf made with foie gras?

I’m fine with pounded pork as the animal flesh. Veal would be a waste in a red sauce and melted cheese dish that overpowers the veal.

Back in the day, my college cafeteria served a breaded ground veal puck with mozzarella melted over it with red sauce. The colloquial name was elephant scabs. It wasn’t very good.

On the German thing, I went to a German place I’ve been going to forever but hadn’t been in a few years. They jacked up their prices. “Sauerbraten” was grilled tenderloin with a sauerbraten-like sweet & sour sauce. The spaetzle was kind of weird. I need to find another German place or start making my own.

Last edited by GeoffD; 02-11-2019 at 07:22 AM..

Old 02-11-2019, 08:15 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,142,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Maybe people are more aware now of the cruelty involved with veal. And that's a good thing.
I have been "protesting" veal since the '70s. I know little ole me didn't make a difference but I still had to stop eating it for my own peace of mind. Does anyone remember the ad for the cruelty those calves faced in that cage? It did a number on my young pysche.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.