Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 11:17 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,055,061 times

Advertisements

Two stick in my mind.

Most recently we ate on a patio overlooking the hillside on the Greek island of Naxos. One man ran the whole restaurant (just a handful of tables). After we ordered, we watched him walk out to the garden and pick our greens and tomatoes. And it just got more amazing from there. His own hand-pressed olive oil. He pointed at the farm where his cheeses came from. Surreal and amazing.

The other one was at a Russian/continental place in Montreal, during a terrible ice storm that nearly shut down the city.

Why/how this one place was still open is beyond me (every other place seemed closed). We sat down and for 90% of the time we were the only customers. There was a violin player throughout the evening just happy to be playing all night long. The server was hands-down the most professional, charming one I've ever had the pleasure to meet. The food was rich and amazing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 12:41 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Two stick in my mind.

Most recently we ate on a patio overlooking the hillside on the Greek island of Naxos. One man ran the whole restaurant (just a handful of tables). After we ordered, we watched him walk out to the garden and pick our greens and tomatoes. And it just got more amazing from there. His own hand-pressed olive oil. He pointed at the farm where his cheeses came from. Surreal and amazing.

The other one was at a Russian/continental place in Montreal, during a terrible ice storm that nearly shut down the city.

Why/how this one place was still open is beyond me (every other place seemed closed). We sat down and for 90% of the time we were the only customers. There was a violin player throughout the evening just happy to be playing all night long. The server was hands-down the most professional, charming one I've ever had the pleasure to meet. The food was rich and amazing.
Was it the Troika restaurant? It was a Montreal institution for many years, with good food and old-world charm, but unfortunately, it recently closed.

Old 01-15-2014, 03:03 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,737,358 times
This happens when I frequent a mom and pop restaurant. I like it when the owner or manager thanks me for my repeat business.

Old 01-15-2014, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Was it the Troika restaurant? It was a Montreal institution for many years, with good food and old-world charm, but unfortunately, it recently closed.
Gosh I wish I could recall. That description sounds right. I believe it was on Rue du Catherine or something.

Old 01-15-2014, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Might have been Ermitage

Old 01-15-2014, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Gosh I wish I could recall. That description sounds right. I believe it was on Rue du Catherine or something.
Troika was on Crescent St and the cross street was rue Ste Catherine. Sounds about right. Does this look familiar?

Old 01-15-2014, 09:05 PM

I just had a spectacular restaurant experience tonight. I just got back from Cinq Saisons. (Yes, we eat late in this city) Unfreakingbelievable! Best sushi ever! Not cheap, though. About $150 for two, including sake.
It's not your typical California Roll with ginger and wasabi. Every dish is a work of art, and beyond delicious.

Old 01-15-2014, 09:19 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
It was at a very exclusive ranch in Montana, the chef is a trained chef from CIA, amazing to find in a Podunk town in Montana. We had exquisite meals, fresh, fresh food, they had a huge garden on the property, fresh fish, fresh made mozzarella cheese, it was by far, the best food I have ever had. They even had a professional sommelier, who did wine pairings with each course.

Old 01-16-2014, 12:01 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
one of the best restaurant experiences ive had was- i paid for someone elses meal that recently lost their lifelong spouse
and they never knew who did it.. she prayed quietly all thru the meal and was wiping her eyes.. i knew who she was, but didnt know her that well, she put a picture of her husband on the table, so she felt he was still with her.

Old 01-16-2014, 01:46 AM

819 posts, read 1,409,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty458 View Post
Seeing the thread about what annoys you the most, makes me wonder what are some of the best restaurant experiences you have ever had.

Mine was actually at an IHOP. The server was very impressive, and needs to go someplace else to make more money. I was there for a friends birthday celebration, and there as maybe like 12 of us. As you know at Ihop, so many choices w/in one meal. He didn't write anything down, even had to excuse himself to answer the phone, some people switch spots and he still got everyone's order 100% correct and to the right person.

I used to be a server, so that is why this experience really sticks out in my mind.
I had an identical experience at the IHOP in Birmingham Alabama near Barber Motorsports Park. The woman took our table's order for four and the next table's order for six by memory. We came back the next day and she was there again and remembered everything we ordered the day before. I sent them an email letting them know how great she was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink