Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 10:50 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,782,008 times

Advertisements

I went to a Korean BBQ place a few days ago - I was alone, as I often am, and the place was very empty (it was only about 5:30 pm). Maybe I'm being hard on the guy, but I just felt he was inattentive and didn't really give a damn. Anyway, I walk in and he greeted me kind of brusquely. He handed me the menu...after what seemed like ages, I had to hail him (he was just sitting near the counter and actually looked at me several times, finally I had to hail him over) to order. At that point I felt like leaving but didn't. It's not so much that he did anything terrible or that rude, but I got the impression he didn't care, and that I didn't feel welcomed. There was no warmth or anything, not that I expect to be welcomed like a VIP, but I don't know (you'd have to have been there I guess)...I've noticed this at a few Korean businesses, while in others they're really friendly, a bit hit and miss. But at that point I sort of felt like just leaving.

I think that's the biggest problem here with waiters. They're just not attentive and keep you waiting for ages. Sometimes at Asian places especially they're a bit brusque but seldom unpleasant enough to deter (some of them are like, 'what you want?' in a barking, almost annoyed tone, but they don't intend to be rude, I think Asian society just lacks politeness, not a lot of sorry, please, thankyous.etc, they should work on that though). I know i'm there for the food more than anything, but acting like they don't care about your business is worse imo. Don't care if they're businesslike if they're attentive and what not, but I hate having to always hail them down like a taxi as if it's some imposition. I often see staff just standing around doing nothing.

Another thing that annoys me is people trying to rush you. Some have said 'it's because they want to make space'...well no **** sherlock, but we paid for our meal, do we work for them? Are we responsible for them getting them profits? And i'm not talking about where there are people waiting, in which case yes i would leave when I've finished my meal and am good and ready. At one place one of the staff was like 'you finished with that?' when I was obviously still eating it. Just felt rushed. My friend I was dining with too was the one who raised it, actually, and said the waiter should have said 'please' haha. I said it was okay haha.

My dad is the type who will cause a scene if he thinks someone is being rude or not nice. He's called out a few waiters.etc because he thought they were rude, and even asked them to get the manager. I think sometimes he's a bit OTT but yeah some restaurant/service staff do need to learn how to be more professional. And the whole 'because they don't get tips' thing doesn't fly here - they get paid a decent wage. Tips should be for exceptional service, not mandatory. One thing I disliked about dining out in the States.

What about waiting for your order? I know it depends on WHAT you order (how much preparation/cooking is actually done), but if a place keeps me waiting for longer than I know it should take, then I don't want to waste my time there. There's been a couple of occasions where we've just walked out of restaurants. Waits of more than 45 minutes are generally inexcusable to me unless there's something special that really takes that long. Once the order is through they should get onto it straight away.

Last edited by The Postman; 01-13-2014 at 11:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 08:52 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,266,661 times
I don't think I've ever caused a scene. I just don't see the point. The person causing a scene often ends up looking like more of an a$$ than whoever they're complaining about.

I have walked out a couple times. If I ordered 30 minutes ago and there's no sign of my food, I'm out.

I might request to speak to a manager or owner and express my displeasure, but I'm not going to disturb other diners in the process. I'm much more likely to go home, go online, and post a few negative reviews.

Old 01-14-2014, 08:56 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,185,806 times
If I get ignored I'll just leave. Never make a scene, that's uncivilized and there's way too much of that already. Look at the cellphone shooting in Tampa.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:06 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,183,841 times
If I am being ignored I will leave. I will not make an ass of myself creating a scene. Some times in our resort area the kitchen just plain gets overwhelmed 1/2 hour of waiting I will gladly pay for my drinks but sorry I am out of here.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:18 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,947,713 times
I've definitely walked out if I don't feel like I'm being treated properly. If we already have drinks on the table, will leave enough cash to cover them.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:23 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,808,116 times
In a scenario you described, what I don't get is why didn't you just hail him over the first time you saw him looking at you if you were ready to order? Why wait till he looked several times? (genuinely curious)

I actually like them to be brusque and professional like. Take my order, bring my food and leave me alone. If I look up, let me catch your eye easily for something. That is an ideal meal to me and would earn top tips.

I will ask to leave quietly if they are rude, overbearing or trying to rush me. And minimal if any tips will be left.

I don't ask for the manager as they often come with the attitude that I want something comped or free. And I refuse ALL freebies/comps so they know I am not after that but it's annoying to be treated initially as such. It's gotten to the point where I just contact corporate if it's bad enough.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:51 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,183,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post

I don't ask for the manager as they often come with the attitude that I want something comped or free. And I refuse ALL freebies/comps so they know I am not after that but it's annoying to be treated initially as such. It's gotten to the point where I just contact corporate if it's bad enough.
The few times I have done that I got an email from corporate saying they would contact me. Then the local manager calls apologizing with an attitude.

Old 01-14-2014, 11:40 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,808,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
The few times I have done that I got an email from corporate saying they would contact me. Then the local manager calls apologizing with an attitude.
I don't leave my phone number. I just make my "report" and leave it at that. It's up to them to follow up with the restaurant or leave it alone.

And that's if I bother with it. What I don't do anymore is ask for the floor manager for the reasons I already stated.

Old 01-14-2014, 11:41 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,982,127 times
As someone who's been in foodservice, I'll put up with slow service IF I get a good explanation of why things are taking so long. I won't put up with rudeness though.

A good restaurant manager/owner should never be defensive, but should be as honest as possible in explaining a service issue. Being polite and respectful goes a long way. Customers who are ignored won't be coming back.

Old 01-14-2014, 12:31 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,732,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
I don't think I've ever caused a scene. I just don't see the point. The person causing a scene often ends up looking like more of an a$$ than whoever they're complaining about.

I have walked out a couple times. If I ordered 30 minutes ago and there's no sign of my food, I'm out.

I might request to speak to a manager or owner and express my displeasure, but I'm not going to disturb other diners in the process. I'm much more likely to go home, go online, and post a few negative reviews.
Absolutely!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink