Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 10:23 AM

513 posts, read 736,919 times

Advertisements

[quote=veuvegirl;33049569]I am not intimidated by food, just completely grossed out about raw meat. I can't look at it or touch it. (I can eat it!).

Once I knew a young woman casually with children who felt the same way about raw meat. She just couldn't bring herself to handle it or cook it. Her family were not vegetarians, either. I know they ate a lot of hot dogs! I can't imagine what else she did, except get things from a deli, such as the whole roast chicken and salads, or frozen lasagna, frozen beef patties or such. Or got her husband to grill out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 10:24 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,709,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
You're being a bit literal with this. Some people don't have a crock pot, either. That's the point. Not everyone has a fully stocked kitchen or can afford all the gadgets.
But they pay a $100 a month cell phone bill.

Old 01-17-2014, 10:37 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,810,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
But they pay a $100 a month cell phone bill.
Uh, I pay less than that for 2 lines with unlimited data and text.

Old 01-17-2014, 10:44 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,496,320 times
That is why there are so many restaurants and fast food places today.
Most People do not know how to cook, or they are to lazy to cook
and don't want to learn.

Old 01-17-2014, 10:53 AM

20,758 posts, read 19,964,416 times
People, google fast food / processed foods / health issues and overthink your anti cooking statements. It is pretty scary how we poison ourselves with oversugared and greasy food.

"I don't want to cook" equals usually "I don't want to be healthy."

Old 01-17-2014, 11:07 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,204,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
People, google fast food / processed foods / health issues and overthink your anti cooking statements. It is pretty scary how we poison ourselves with oversugared and greasy food.

And where exactly do you buy cheese to cook if you are against processed foods.

I highly doubt anyone still makes cheese at home .

Old 01-17-2014, 11:09 AM

912 posts, read 1,524,759 times
While it's too much to expect that everyone reach the skill level of good cook, much less gourmet, I firmly believe that every adult should be able to make at least three reasonably healthy entire meals.

For example:

- Whole wheat pasta tossed in a quality tomato sauce, even if from a jar. Simple salad with dressing.
- Baked chicken in preferred seasonings, sauteed broccoli with garlic, a microwave "baked" potato.
- Burrito bowls -- this can be as simple as making some minute rice/brown rice and layering that with some warmed canned beans, chopped lettuce, tomatoes, cheese and some jarred salsa.

Maybe these wouldn't be ideal meals to those of us that actually know how to cook, but they're basic meals that are far healthier and cheaper than your usual fast food/takeout options. From there, the newbie cook can start adding variations. Maybe baking the chicken with different spices, or chopping the chicken up and putting it in the pasta or burrito bowl. Switching out the broccoli with green beans. Slicing an avocado to go with that burrito bowl. Melting cheese and putting tomato sauce on the chicken for a pseudo parm-style dish. And so on.

My husband doesn't really know how to cook -- he was never taught, and his parents (though I love them) are not really the most creative/skilled cooks. They make amazing fish, but use a lot of canned vegetables as sides with minimal alterations. Admittedly, I do need to teach him more in the kitchen, but it's hard -- during the week I'm just trying to get dinner on the table with minimal damage to my sanity after a long workday, and we go out pretty consistently on the weekends. He can manage pasta and salad though, and I leave him lots of frozen homemade meals when I go out of town, so at least there's that.

Old 01-17-2014, 11:26 AM

29,744 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post

You can make over-sugared and greasy food at home, too. It's not like home cooking is all healthy cooking.

Old 01-17-2014, 11:44 AM

48,519 posts, read 34,833,342 times
I'm always surprised when someone lacks knowledge about food/cooking.

I was gluten free for a year and mentioned to someone I couldn't eat anything with flour. Their response was "does bread have flour in it?"

I'm working on teaching DH's 12 year old. Who shyly informed me while making lemon bars that he just likes eating them, not so much the cooking.

You want em? You help make em.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-17-2014, 11:57 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,204,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post

You want em? You help make em.
Same with mom cooking here. I felt the same way while in high school. But now I kind of like it. Cooking helps one infuse some creativity .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink