U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 04:01 PM

20,998 posts, read 25,737,156 times

Advertisements

It's a "pizza machine!"

No wheat in this family, so I have always made pizza with a french fry crust. Then it got harder and harder to find the shoestring potatoes without wheat on them and now they just aren't available. Then it got impossible to find tater tots or hash brown patties without wheat.

I can still buy the fat crinkle cut potatoes, but they don't make a good pizza.

In desperation, I bought a french fry cutter. It works well to give me the exact size I need and every french fry is uniform in size.

But -- seriously?--- there is a learning curve to using the cutter and making good fries. Who would have guessed?

It takes serious strength to pull the lever and I have to figure out some way to bolt the cutter down so that it can still be taken apart to clean it. In fact, it has taken some puzzling over how to clean it. I'm going to have to buy a new brush to get into the small spaces.

These are the skinny guys and it takes 50 minutes at 415 degrees to get them browned. Spraying them with oil doesn't work well, so I am putting them into a large bowl and adding about 1/4 of oil and tossing them (like making duck fries).

First lesson, do not trim the potatoes. Any place that the skin is broken, the potatoes will break and fold instead of going through the machine. So, you don't trim until after the fries are cut.

I've done them on a plain cookie sheet and on a silicone mat. The plain sheet browns them faster, but unevenly. The silicon sheet cooks them more evenly. Time is the same with each type of baking sheet.

So, 4 large potatoes, cooked on 2 cookie sheets look like they will do one pizza. All it adds is an hour or so more to the cooking time. This used to be a quickie meal: frozen potatoes, and I always have tubs of spaghetti sauce in the freezer. It's not a fast meal any more, but whatever it takes to finally have pizza again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 04:30 PM

31,158 posts, read 57,274,608 times
Wouldn't have been easier to find a recipe for pizza dough that didn't include wheat flour?

Old 01-17-2014, 06:20 PM

2,456 posts, read 2,437,081 times
Back in the day my husband wanted French fries all the time. I tried one of the cutters and found it more trouble than it was worth. I did come across a spiked small piece of wood that you "skewer" the potato onto and slice your own fries to your specifications without the potato slipping around. Worked great and it was fast too.

But if I'm understanding you correctly you're using the "fries" as a base for your pizza. In that case why not slice the potatoes in a food processor using the thinnest blade? You can turn a potato into nice round slices in a heartbeat. Since the slices are thin they will bake faster too.

Old 01-17-2014, 06:51 PM

2,431 posts, read 4,385,933 times
A farm market I used to go to had a great fry stand -- they had a manual fry cutter bolted to the wall. Don't know how they cleaned it, though.

I'm curious, too, how you make the pizza out of fries -- can you share that with us? Does it cut into slices that you can pick up? Or do you need to use (gasp!) and knife and fork?

Would it work if you used mashed potatoes as a base? You could whip up a big batch and store them in the freezer.

Old 01-17-2014, 07:57 PM

6,400 posts, read 6,497,983 times
I wonder how a shredded potato base would work - a la hash browns?

Old 01-22-2014, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Wouldn't have been easier to find a recipe for pizza dough that didn't include wheat flour?
I haven't found one yet. I've tried a couple of recipes and I've purchased a commercial gluten-free pizza dough mix. No good.

Some foods are designed to feature the properties of gluten in flour. Pizza dough is one of them.

Baked goods made gluten-free fall apart as soon as they get wet. So, a pizza crust without gluten is a soggy mess by the time the pie is baked.

I can make a pretty decent bread roll, but rolling that dough out to use as pizza crust was a flop.

Old 01-22-2014, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx View Post

I'm curious, too, how you make the pizza out of fries -- can you share that with us? Does it cut into slices that you can pick up? Or do you need to use (gasp!) and knife and fork?

Would it work if you used mashed potatoes as a base? You could whip up a big batch and store them in the freezer.
To made the pizza, you bake the french fries until they are crispy and then push them together so you get a solid base. Then you top with your sauce and cheese and pizza goodies.

If you use the small shoestring fries, you can pick the pizza up in your hands and eat it like pizza is supposed to be eaten. I think the cheese melts down between the fries and it is enough to hold the slice together, as long as you make the pieces fairly small.

If you use the larger crinkle cut fries, then you have to use a fork and it seems more like a casserole than a pizza. It's good, but not the same.

The mashed potatoes would make a pizza casserole to eat with a fork. It would taste good.

I bake the pizza on a silicon mat so that it comes right off the pan. That helps the slice stay together.

Old 01-22-2014, 04:41 PM

10,117 posts, read 16,713,055 times
Best Gluten-Free Pizza Crust, Gluten-Free Goddess Style |Gluten-Free Goddess® Recipes

Old 01-22-2014, 06:38 PM

31,158 posts, read 57,274,608 times
Try a zucchini crust, held together with almond flour and eggs. It has to be better than french fries.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:44 PM

35,121 posts, read 37,790,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I haven't found one yet. I've tried a couple of recipes and I've purchased a commercial gluten-free pizza dough mix. No good.

Some foods are designed to feature the properties of gluten in flour. Pizza dough is one of them.

Baked goods made gluten-free fall apart as soon as they get wet. So, a pizza crust without gluten is a soggy mess by the time the pie is baked.

I can make a pretty decent bread roll, but rolling that dough out to use as pizza crust was a flop.

Why not roll out the dough then pre bake then add the toppings then finish the last few minutes to heat the toppings and melt the cheese.
I would think that would keep the crust from getting soggy.
Also, have you tried the Gluten Free Bisquick? My daughter uses it and she said it turns out great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink