Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 08:44 AM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
-
-New York Style Pizza...It is too floppy and doughy. You shouldn't have to fold your pizza to eat it.

Good
New York Style Pizza isn't floppy or doughy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2015, 10:21 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,554,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
No, I've never eaten truffles before but my memory is that it was smelly, don't remember if it was actually me that was smelling the truffle or watching other people smell the truffles and that colored my memories. People saying it was stinky, horrible, than I hear about people spending lots of money on these "Black Diamonds" to put on their pasta, etc. What exactly is the flavor like? I love scrambled eggs, but the truffles I will have to think twice about. I hope it is not like goat cheese, another overrated food item, because I have tried goat cheese many times, usually at samplings in stores and I didn't know what it was because if I knew, I would of walked on by. Goat cheese is disgusting - how could anyone like it? Now, the truffles I may give it a second thought especially with your description of truffle grindings in scrambled eggs, which has piqued my curiosity

You don't really eat truffles any more than you eat salt. Its the flavor enhancement they convey that is what is desirable.

Truffles in a cream mushroom sauce on pasta, or truffle oil on a tuna carpaccio or something like that - give it a try when you get a chance.

However....They flavor might be described as slightly earthy - but it is difficult to describe. Then again given that you find goat cheese "disgusting" (a very strong term) rather than just not to your taste, I'm guessing your palate wouldn't really fly with truffles either.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:43 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,158,411 times
Default Earthy Flavors

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
You don't really eat truffles any more than you eat salt. Its the flavor enhancement they convey that is what is desirable.

Truffles in a cream mushroom sauce on pasta, or truffle oil on a tuna carpaccio or something like that - give it a try when you get a chance.

However....They flavor might be described as slightly earthy - but it is difficult to describe. Then again given that you find goat cheese "disgusting" (a very strong term) rather than just not to your taste, I'm guessing your palate wouldn't really fly with truffles either.
I do want to try some truffles now, just to see what the flavor is like. I'm thinking they taste like mushrooms, a earthier kind. I would want to try it in the scrambled eggs or even the cream mushroom sauce. I am hesitant about foods that are considered "earthy" but I am very curious and maybe I might find that I like truffles after all, although I probably couldn't afford to eat it on a regular basis.

I do know I have a problem with goat cheese and will never like it - I have tried it many times.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:51 PM

460 posts, read 1,003,853 times
Krispy Kreme donuts. I don't get it at all.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:17 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
I don't either. They can't match Southern Maid donuts by long stretch.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:34 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,404,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopac1980 View Post
pancakes and onion rings, I don't like pancakes and never understood the appeal to onion rings, one beverage I also find to be overrated is milk, I personally think milk tastes nasty.
Try Almond Milk if you haven't already.... it'll make you cry with ecstasy.

Old 01-14-2015, 10:11 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,158,411 times
Default Krispy Kreme Donuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepman91919 View Post
Krispy Kreme donuts. I don't get it at all.
They are so sweet that it hurts your teeth. I have a sweet tooth, but even I have a limit.

Old 01-15-2015, 08:51 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,621,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Everything is a matter of opinion when it comes to food, or most things, for that matter. Food is very subjective. I happen to like Chick-fil-A but think it is overpriced. I love their commercials. We were talking about that at a family party yesterday.

Now, food that is often over rated in my opinion, is caviar, sushi, things like that. I don't see the draw, but there are others that probably think many of the foods we crave are just plain nothings. Another food that I happen to love, but think is overrated is prime rib: good yes, worth the money? Nope, same with Filet steaks. I prefer a good top sirloin or a rib steak, I think they have more flavor.
Filet mignon is not loved for its quantity of flavor, but its quality of subtle flavors and sensuous textures when properly prepared.

Old 01-15-2015, 01:39 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Seems a lot of posters here either are posting a really bad 1st time experience or just going to terrible places to eat.

Shouldn't judge a particular dish served from a chain place like Olive Garden. Like someone complains about Italian cuisine and all they've ever had was Olive Garden, for reals?

Complaints about sushi, yet all they've experienced was a cheap asian buffets that offers "imitated" sushi rolls. Sushi is a delicate food, it requires a certain understanding of the ingredients.

Imo, every classic entree and dish out there can be appreciated when it is done properly using the right ingredients.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink