Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2014, 09:45 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
The USDA recommendation is overly conservative, but the worst part is some people (and thermometer instructions and recipe books) claim 140 degrees is "medium" or "medium rare". Sorry, it's medium well.
Depends on who you ask, but a lot of steak sites call 140F rare. Like this one:

Meat Doneness

While others call 140F medium, like this:

Sous-Vide 101: Prime Steak Primer | Serious Eats

But 140F equals medium well? I don't see that, either in references or in my kitchen.

The key thing is to try things different ways to find what you like. I've found that a lot of people who are accustomed to ordering their meat well done actually change their minds once they taste a good steak cooked medium rare. A lot of time the preference for well done meat traces back to childhood food issues that never got worked out. Chefs tend to prefer medium rare meat because it is juicier, tenderer and more flavorful than meat cooked longer.

But eat what you prefer, it's not an issue for me... unless you order well done at my table and it throws off the timing of when you get your dinner by 20 minutes. Sorry, I'm not waiting!

Old 01-22-2014, 09:53 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Simple they do not like their steaks bloody at all. Not my taste but some like it that way.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:35 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,930,400 times
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCc8...e_gdata_player

Old 01-22-2014, 11:26 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Depends on who you ask, but a lot of steak sites call 140F rare. Like this one:

Meat Doneness

While others call 140F medium, like this:

Sous-Vide 101: Prime Steak Primer | Serious Eats

But 140F equals medium well? I don't see that, either in references or in my kitchen.

The key thing is to try things different ways to find what you like. I've found that a lot of people who are accustomed to ordering their meat well done actually change their minds once they taste a good steak cooked medium rare. A lot of time the preference for well done meat traces back to childhood food issues that never got worked out. Chefs tend to prefer medium rare meat because it is juicier, tenderer and more flavorful than meat cooked longer.

But eat what you prefer, it's not an issue for me... unless you order well done at my table and it throws off the timing of when you get your dinner by 20 minutes. Sorry, I'm not waiting!
Oh!!! . . . Great!!! So now people who like a well done steak have unresolved psychological food issues?

Well, at least you said to eat what you prefer.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:49 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
Oh and BTW - caterer here - if you order well done at a restaurant all your friends get to wait for their mains an extra 20 minutes while yours cooks.

There's been many a blood sugar fuelled well done steak fight in even the best establishments, amongst hungry parties made to wait for their food, especially if booze is involved.

I can guarantee you one thing, if I ever hired you to cater and you did not cook the food as I specified exactly you would not be paid at all.

Whether you like it or not or think the food is ruined or not, you are not paying for it, you are not eating it and you are not to question how I want things done when it comes to a service.
If I want a rare cow at my catered event I will borrow one from my brother in law and let it roam the event on it's own four legs.

Ruined to you being such a "foodie" (a word that is quite over used) does not mean ruined to me.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:59 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,669,981 times
Serious foodie! What a laugh. I picture those goofy people who see how many hot dogs they can stuff into their pie holes in 5 minutes, or whatever.

I'm pretty sure I know who has unresolved childhood issues and it has nothing to do with liking a well-done steak.

Serious foodie. That's hilarious.

I took potato salad to an event the other day. I guess that makes me a caterer. And I sat down and ate. I guess I'm a serious foodie, too.

Thanks for the middle of the night laughs.

Old 01-23-2014, 12:35 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Serious foodie! What a laugh. I picture those goofy people who see how many hot dogs they can stuff into their pie holes in 5 minutes, or whatever.

I'm pretty sure I know who has unresolved childhood issues and it has nothing to do with liking a well-done steak.

Serious foodie. That's hilarious.

I took potato salad to an event the other day. I guess that makes me a caterer. And I sat down and ate. I guess I'm a serious foodie, too.

Thanks for the middle of the night laughs.
You do know you'll have to read this post yourself when the sun comes up, right?

Old 01-23-2014, 12:38 AM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Especially expensive cuts of steak, I just don't get it.
Because they prefer it that way. Why else? My father has always wanted his well-done. He will send it back if it is not cooked completely though. Drives me nuts, but that's what he likes.

Old 01-23-2014, 01:08 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
im allowed to have my opinion. people are giving their opinions on here all the time and nobody instituted a requirement for them to be authorities in the subjects of their opinions. overcooked steak is always inferior to properly cooked steak. the vast majority of people who think they prefer it overcooked would change their minds if properly weaned off of burnt steak (like a baby) and transitioned to properly cooked meat.
When my mom stayed with dad's family during ww2, they'd cook steak so much it was like leather. She cooked her own rare and her brother in law left the table when she cut into it.

Years later, when I was a kid and they came to visit we went to a steak place. She was very surprised when he ordered his rare. Yes, things can change. He said his wife refused to destroy good meat and he found he liked it that way.

Old 01-23-2014, 01:13 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
Because that's the way I like it. Why do you care? You're not paying for my meal!

I do not like the sight of blood at all. I pass out at the sight of blood.

I do NOT like the taste or texture of pink or red meat. If I wanted to eat a raw cow, I could walk down to the end of my street and start gnawing on the live cows in the field.

Your chance of food poisoning dramatically decreases by eating meat well done. Maybe you like sitting on the toilet all day. I don't. Nor do I like sticking my face in it.

I don't eat chewy bacon either! Oh the horror!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink