Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 09:06 PM

414 posts, read 1,095,073 times

Advertisements

I've been more willing over the past year or two to eat undercooked steaks, but my preference is still for very well done.

I like the texture and taste of nice, crisp char on the outside of my steaks, and I like a consistent color throughout--it makes it more appealing to me. Seeing bright pink in the middle or worse, seeing red spurt out all over my plate when I cut into a steak is less-than-appetizing. I'd rather not live with the fear that it'll sit up on the plate and moo when I slice it.... (as I accuse steaks of doing when cooked to my dad's preference of medium rare)

Old 01-21-2014, 09:18 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,227,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
we had a similar thrad on this a few months ago..

some folks just wont eat pink
Gotta be pink for me to eat it. We're talking about steak, right?

I have a buddy who orders prime rib, both the cut and the grade, medium well to well. I've asked him why he doesn't save the money and ruin a cheap cut, but it works for him.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:15 PM

66 posts, read 182,792 times
For the same reason that they eat refrigerated chocolate, room-temperature fruit (with the exception of bananas) from a stupid bowl on the counter, or vegetables cooked to the point of being mush.

...Because they don't know any better.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:30 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,677,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Well done. If it's oozing or even trickling blood, it's going back.

I always laugh at those who say they can't cook a good well-done steak. They just plain don't know how to cook. A well-done steak, cooked correctly (and tenderized correctly) will be just as flavorful as can be. I tenderize beef in vinegar.
^^^^^This. I don't even like to look at partially raw meat with blood oozing out of it. I think of biology class with the little worms in the raw meat. Dogs and tapeworms, all of that stuff.

Anyway, steak can taste really good if it is medium well done. I do not like it burned on the outside, I just like it cooked through, some juices, but not red. It has to be a quality cut of meat, I think, but it will be really good cooked the right way--well done/medium well done. No blood.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:52 PM

63 posts, read 89,445 times
Personally, I don't like blood oozing out, or even seeing pink. If it is well-done, less chance of e-coli. And under-done is gross to me. I know its more tender when pink or bloody, but I still can't eat it that way. I like all my beef well-done, my chicken, my pork, my fish, etc. To each their own.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:09 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times
I like it warmed over to body temperatre. One thing I like about where I live is they understand the term 'blood rare'. I usually get high quality steaks and cut them into small pieces. One smaller portion cooked right and seasoned perfectly is so satisfying you don't need a lot.

It helps I buy from a butcher shop where the meat does not come from a huge facory farm and has no injected additives.

The most wonderful thing I bought this holiday was my George Forman Grill. A nice char on the outside, nice and juicy and warm inside. I like flat iron steakes which are fairly thin with the grill.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:27 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,695,304 times
I like my steak so rare that it's still breathing.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:32 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,005,925 times
Harrier likes his steaks cremated.

Why risk an entirely avoidable bacteria infection?

Why not just eat steak raw if you are going to eat it blood rare?

Old 01-21-2014, 11:56 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,669,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I like it warmed over to body temperatre. One thing I like about where I live is they understand the term 'blood rare'. I usually get high quality steaks and cut them into small pieces. One smaller portion cooked right and seasoned perfectly is so satisfying you don't need a lot.

It helps I buy from a butcher shop where the meat does not come from a huge facory farm and has no injected additives.

The most wonderful thing I bought this holiday was my George Forman Grill. A nice char on the outside, nice and juicy and warm inside. I like flat iron steakes which are fairly thin with the grill.
lol.

You have no idea where your beef comes from.

Nor do people who buy veggies from farmer's markets have the vaguest idea where their veggies/fruits come from.

The only way to know is to raise and butcher yourself.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:57 PM

4 posts, read 6,001 times
Not a big steak eater but I prefer my beef well-done and I am usually the only person in my groups of friends who prefers it that way. The cook at the hibachi grill always has jokes and was very polite when he served everyone else's but set mine on my plate and called it beef jerky I wasn't mad at him though!

My preference is to not have blood at all. Probably more psychological than taste but just my preference. If the meat is seasoned and cooked correctly it can be just as amazing as one that is cooked um ... a little less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink