U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 09:37 AM

805 posts, read 1,560,971 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I've been searching online for this and haven't found an answer.

Is there a way to fry steak on the pan i.e. stovetop without it souping up? Everytime I try to make beef--whether it's a slab, or smaller pieces, it starts souping up and then it's more like sort of boiling the meat.

I'd like to be able to get that charred and juicy effect. I'm thinking perhaps what I'm doing is overcooking or overcrowding.....but I'm not sure that's it.

I like to use non-stick pans and to just do oven top. I'm not going to do a cast iron as I once tried one and it would always smoke and set off the smoke alarm (I'm in an apartment), so I'll stay away form cast iron.

Any tips on what I should be doing to properly sear beef on the pan?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2014, 09:59 AM

21,871 posts, read 12,764,403 times
You need to get your pan super hot. Also having the meat at room temperature before cooking will help too. Overcrowding will drop the temperature of your pan and thus will steam your meat.

How to Pan Sear a Steak: 9 Steps (with Pictures) - wikiHow

Old 01-25-2014, 10:04 AM

6,191 posts, read 14,750,692 times
Quite a few threads on the topic if you search.

IMHO you need a cast iron pan for the best results; it won't smoke if properly seasoned. Or a BBQ grille. Or a good stainless steel pan - non-stick pans are awful for anything that require searing or high temperatures.
I love this way of doing steak - fast, easy, extremely good:

Pan-Seared Rib-Eye Recipe : Alton Brown : Food Network

Old 01-25-2014, 10:31 AM

3,879 posts, read 4,584,704 times
Definitely the non-stick is the biggest issue. They just aren't made for the high-high heat you need to get a good sear on steak. You need cast iron.

You also need to let the steak rest on the counter and lose the chill of the refrigerator before cooking. And you need to season liberally with salt about an hour or more before cooking -- steaks are typically wet aged and you want to draw some of the excess moisture off first. You'll wipe most of the salt and water that pulls out of the steak off with a paper towel right before you throw it in your hot pan.

And you'll need your oven, if it's a thick steak, to get the interior somewhere warmer than rare/very rare if that's your preference.

On my electric stovetop, when I have the steaks ready to go except for being wiped down with the paper towel, here's how I do it:

Turn oven on to 350 (make sure any pots stored in there are taken out first)
Turn burner eye on to 8 (out of 10) and set cast iron skillet on burner
Turn on hood fan to high
wipe down steaks
put a dollop of butter into the hot skillet
drop steaks
turn timer on to 2 minutes
flip steaks
timer 1 more minute
grab whole skillet and put in the oven for 5-8 minutes, depending on bone in, and how thick (1.25" ribeye w/ bone closer to 8 for medium rare)
Turn off burner
Turn off fan
Get the salad ready while waiting on the steak.
Enjoy!

Old 01-25-2014, 12:35 PM

Ok seems right off that the nonstick is part of the problem. For cast iron I have some questions:

1. Preseasoned ok?
2. What heat levels for beef/ pork?
3. Can one sear marinated proteins (either rubs or salts)?

Basically I want to avoid too much smoke that keeps tripping the alarm even with the pan on. Now if the meats are seasoned with oil, how does that affect preparation? Is stainless steel sort of an acceptable compromise relative to nonstick?

Old 01-25-2014, 12:46 PM

6,191 posts, read 14,750,692 times
I'm not sure where you get this paranoia about triggering your smoke alarm?

I use my oven/cast iron pan regularly about eight feet from my smoke alarm. I've never set it off, not in years. Like, 30-plus years. Perhaps this is an issue to bring up with your property management company?

1:Preseasoned is great.
2: I don't know - you want plenty hot for searing.
3: Yes. Look up steak au poivre or the AB link I provided.

You don't need much added oil if any for a good steak.

Old 01-25-2014, 01:05 PM

To clarify its not "paranoia". I have an apartment and had a cast iron before but got rid. It always smoked. A lot, it was unusable. Hence my desire to be educated already seen some tips, thanks.

Old 01-25-2014, 01:38 PM

10,567 posts, read 11,666,560 times
Fry a steak? Blasphemy! You grill a steak.

Old 01-25-2014, 01:43 PM

4,946 posts, read 4,344,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Fry a steak? Blasphemy! You grill a steak.
Ever try grilling a steak in -40/50 degree temperatures. For those occasions, the steak is prepared indoors - pan fried.

Old 01-25-2014, 01:50 PM

7,672 posts, read 9,354,962 times
Are you using wet marinades? That will be the culprit for both the souping up and smoke.

Just salt and pepper and pat dry. If you want flavor other than beef make au jus, gravy or sauce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink