Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: have you ever sent a food item back to the kitchen to be redone / replaced ?
Yes I have sent something back 106 82.17%
No, I have never sent a food item back 23 17.83%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 07:11 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,227,294 times

Advertisements

Today we went to our favorite burger place, and the burger and fries were cold. We complained about it, and the waitress took our two cokes off the bill. It was so disappointing, we were looking forward to our lunch. I was torn about saying anything.

Once I ordered fried chicken with mashed potatoes and she brought back a chicken fried steak (different place). I didn't eat it; she asked what was wrong and I said 'oh nothing' lol. Once there was plastic cooked into my food, but I just pulled it out and set it aside.

Does anyone else feel uncomfortable sending food back, no matter what? What would make you send your food back?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 07:55 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Anyone would be a fool to send food back because the kitchen will do terrible things to what's next sent out.

I'm not a meek person. I just know how kitchen staff think. I'm not going to eat someone's spit.

Old 01-28-2014, 07:58 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,733,179 times
It is a rare occurrence, I can't even remember the last time I sent my food back. I usually avoid busy hours at most restaurants so maybe I just get lucky.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:32 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,271,820 times
I did have to send something back recently. I ordered a medium bison burger with cheese and avocado slices. I took a bite and found it was completely raw in the middle. Not rare ... completely uncooked. I'll let a lot of things slide, but I just couldn't give them a pass that evening.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:39 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
I've sent food back a few times. I'm not going to accept something that's inedible. I don't want a replacement. If the kitchen can't produce a decent meal the first time around, I don't want to see what happens in round two.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:42 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,160,449 times
Default Sending food back

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
I did have to send something back recently. I ordered a medium bison burger with cheese and avocado slices. I took a bite and found it was completely raw in the middle. Not rare ... completely uncooked. I'll let a lot of things slide, but I just couldn't give them a pass that evening.
Yes, I'm wary of sending food back, but when it has to do with undercooked meat and especially RAW meat in the middle, I will send it back. Usually, I will not complain or send stuff back if it is just not satisfactory in flavor (not enough salt, too greasy, etc.) because I also have a vivid imagination of what goes on in the back kitchen, but then again if someone sends something back for a very important health reason, then if the cooks did do something bad to the dish, then that's bad karma that they earned and what goes around, comes around. We actually do them a favor sending back meat dishes that are undercooked or raw. What if we got sick from it?

Old 01-28-2014, 08:43 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,204,961 times
Yes, it has happened several times (We expect pure vegetarian food. No meat, seafood, egg or mushroom should be partaken as part of Hindu Brahmin religious belief). We once asked for vegetarian bamboo shoot soup in a Chinese restaurant and they gave us fish and noodle. We sent it back, no questions. Just cant accept it as part of culture.

In the event I partake consumption of prohibited food groups, I must make a pilgrimage to be sanctified in pure ice cold water fresh from the Gangothri glacier for 10 minutes to wash off my unholy sin and replenish myself.

Last edited by Adi from the Brunswicks; 01-28-2014 at 08:54 PM..

Old 01-28-2014, 08:55 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Just cant accept it as part of culture.
I would accept it because it wasn't what I ordered. I doubt the kitchen staff gives a flying leap about anyone's culture.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:57 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,204,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I doubt the kitchen staff gives a flying leap about anyone's culture.
Then we can go to court and cost them a dent in profit :

Restaurant Can Be Sued For Serving Meat To Vegetarians

Old 01-28-2014, 09:04 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,743,916 times
I have only done this once. I remember at a nice restaurant I ordered a steak, MR.

It came well done. I asked the waitress to have it done correctly (burned crisp). It came back almost raw. I sent it back again (I have never done this before). It came back half cook well and the other raw (put in the microwave). The waitress says, "well that is what medium rare is, half cooked half raw" comical!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink