Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do people in the Unites States eat cooked horse meat
Yes 5 10.00%
No 45 90.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 04:25 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,155,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
whats the issue with mushrooms??

i thought fungi was vegan friendly...
We are not supposed to eat it. The Vedas prevent acceptance of mushrooms & eggs as vegetarian food for Brahmins.

I have eaten mushrooms as a small child. But after taking oath on the name of god at the age of 10 to ensure that I will practice the Vedic principles dictated for Brahmins, I must avoid it on the whole.

Old 01-31-2014, 04:27 PM

19,963 posts, read 30,059,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
I have never seen sale of deer meat here in central NJ. However, I once stopped over at some rural region in Tennessee to fill up gas on my way to Atlanta. While there, I saw a person with deer strapped onto their pickup. Was Shocked , because nobody really hunts deer here at current.
you might want to avoid maine during moose hunting season,,,, you'd see them on trailers

Old 01-31-2014, 04:27 PM

45,035 posts, read 60,063,169 times
Quote:
OK, thanks guys & gals for answering. Looks like my knowledge regarding the kind of meat eaten here is limited. How about cooked deer meat, does that fall in the same category as cooked horse meat. Deer hunting is popular in PA for all I know.

Has anyone tried eating cooked deer meat. I know there are a couple people out there in the woods who might have.

FYI, I am a pure vegetarian Hindu, so this is for the pursuit of knowledge. I will NEVER partake in foods which have meat, seafood, or mushrooms.

Venison (deer) is very low in fat content, in fact you have to be careful when cooking it so it won't dry out. Most wild game is good for you, duck and goose can tend to be greasy due to the high fat content but that's manageable.

Old 01-31-2014, 04:30 PM

19,963 posts, read 30,059,445 times
Quote:
We are not supposed to eat it. The Vedas prevent acceptance of mushrooms & eggs as vegetarian food.

I have eaten mushrooms as a small child. But after taking oath on the name of god at the age of 10, I must avoid it on the whole.
i learned something today...thanks!

Old 01-31-2014, 04:35 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,876,413 times
Quote:
OK, thanks guys & gals for answering. Looks like my knowledge regarding the kind of meat eaten here is limited. How about cooked deer meat, does that fall in the same category as cooked horse meat. Deer hunting is popular in PA for all I know.

Has anyone tried eating cooked deer meat. I know there are a couple people out there in the woods who might have.

FYI, I am a pure vegetarian Hindu, so this is for the pursuit of knowledge. I will NEVER partake in foods which have meat, seafood, or mushrooms.
Deer meet (venison) is very popular. It is not just hunters who eat venison, although that too is popular in many regions. Venison has been embraced big-time by the foodie movement as a healthy, unique-tasting alternative to more "traditional" meats.

Old 01-31-2014, 04:39 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,579,738 times
Archie Bunker, Edith Bunker, Gloria Bunker and Mike Stivic all ate horsemeat on All In The Family

Old 01-31-2014, 04:49 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,921,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post

Yuppy urban cities would most likely have very little exposure to deer.
Not at all. High end restaurants often serve venison--medallions, Frenched chops, etc. The main difference in restaurant venison is that it is farm-raised, generally Red Deer.

I don't think you can sell wild-caught venison, but you can keep it for your own consumption. I have a wild back strap & some farmed chops in my freezer right now.

Old 01-31-2014, 05:11 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,964,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
Not at all. High end restaurants often serve venison--medallions, Frenched chops, etc. The main difference in restaurant venison is that it is farm-raised, generally Red Deer.

I don't think you can sell wild-caught venison, but you can keep it for your own consumption. I have a wild back strap & some farmed chops in my freezer right now.
I remember venison being very popular at higher end restaurants maybe 5 or 6 years ago. I haven't noticed much of it lately.

I grew up outside Boston in suburbia and we always had venison. A few of the neighborhood dads would hunt a deer or two and then butcher and divvy up the meat.

Old 01-31-2014, 05:13 PM

20,866 posts, read 28,221,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
Archie Bunker, Edith Bunker, Gloria Bunker and Mike Stivic all ate horsemeat on All In The Family
LOL I remember that episode.

Old 01-31-2014, 05:14 PM

3,401 posts, read 3,077,616 times
Venison is very popular in the rural Midwest. We eat venison when someone offers it to us. Many hunters here take their deer to the meat packing plant and pay for the butchering and leave instructions to donate the meat to the food pantries in the area. Some packing plants butcher these for free when the meat is donated to the pantries.

Relative to horse meat -- all I can think about is the whinny of the horse and how wonderful it is to ride on the back of these beautiful creatures. Poor things. I definitely wouldn't eat any horse meat!

Also relative to the reference to Aldi's using horse meat -- Aldi's admitted they added horse meat to the beef but it wasn't in the USA. I felt this needed to be clarified that the USA wasn't affected by their use of horse meat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink