Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 05:50 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,405,045 times

Advertisements

That looks pretty good!

We eat our meat anywhere from medium rare to Pittsburgh rare, and we have yet to get worms. Even ate gored gored and kitfo (Ethiopian dishes that use raw meat) and nope, no worms.

If we all worried about whatever little critters could be present in our food, none of us would want to eat anything!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 06:51 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,832,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
What do you think? Too pink? I found it to be perfectly medium rare, but my friend told me it was not good because the worms were still alive. (By the way that is a side of braised organic baby kale with Gilroy garlic.)

Can I get worms from eating this? I've been eating raw (tartare) and rare steak for over 20 years and sashimi (raw fish and seafood) for over ten. I never noticed any worms, or other symptoms.

Curious to hear others' position on this. Thanks folks.
It is beautiful.

Old 02-04-2014, 08:20 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,055,148 times
Looks great to me, I love a good char on the outside with a warmed center.

I have seen worms in cod, while I still love the taste, it will take a while before I can cook it again.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:36 PM

23,515 posts, read 23,986,796 times
If you don't want it, give it to me!!!

Old 02-04-2014, 09:41 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
That steak reminds me of my father's grilled steaks. They were the best I have ever eaten.

My husband and I can't achieve the same perfection. It seems we cook meat to death on the grill.

Old 02-05-2014, 12:25 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,447,523 times
Quote:
What do you think? Too pink? I found it to be perfectly medium rare, but my friend told me it was not good because the worms were still alive. (By the way that is a side of braised organic baby kale with Gilroy garlic.)

Can I get worms from eating this? I've been eating raw (tartare) and rare steak for over 20 years and sashimi (raw fish and seafood) for over ten. I never noticed any worms, or other symptoms.

Looks PERFECT to me....when I order steak out (which is rare) I ask for the minimum required cook time as my "how do you want it cooked" vs rare, med rare, med, etc.....and I normally get the message across to the chef that what I want is something HE/SHE finds as the "perfect goal"......

Old 02-05-2014, 07:57 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,403,189 times
Its 2014, not the 1950's. Your friend needs to get over having red in the middle of meat. If we where in a restaurant and it had much less red than what you have there id send it back for being over cooked!

Old 02-05-2014, 08:01 AM

45,336 posts, read 60,500,026 times
It's hard to tell from the photo. How about grilling up another one exactly like it and running it over so I can check it in person.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:30 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Looks to me like it was rushed steak. You probably kept the meat in the fridge and straight to the grill.

A good thick steak needs to be rested in room temperature for an hour this way when you throw it on the grille it cooks more evenly.

Look at your steak, it's cooked on the outside but the inside is really raw not cooked evenly because the meat is still cold on the inside when you cook it.

If this was at diner, some people would send it back because it wasn't cooked evenly for them. They want the rare center but evenly.
What you described is a much desired way of cooking a steak (for some, not all of course). It's called "Pittsburgh Rare".

As to the OP, it looks like a perfect Mid-Rare to me. That would be warm, not cold, in the middle, but blood read. Of course you can't tell that from a picture, but it looks perfect to me.

Worms: It has been answered correctly. Bacteria (not worms) exist on the outside. Worms are not really a problem, any more than it's a problem with any fresh meat, and less than some. If the meat is handled well, then it's not a significant risk. Meat that is cooked less than well should be of good quality. Primarily because the taste of the meat will be off. People that want a well-done steak are totally entitled to that, but they won't be tasting the true flavor of the beef, it will be overshadowed by the cooking method and duration (again, nothing wrong with that, just a fact).

If worms in pink or rare meat were a real problem, then many more people would be getting sick from it. If that were happening, it would not be allowed to be served in restaurants. That is not the case.

Sorry, I got long winded. Your steak looks great. I'm a Rib-eye guy, but as far as cooking Mid-Rare, you seemed to have nailed it.

Old 02-05-2014, 02:04 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,827,481 times
Quote:

Fake thread, there is no friend, you just came here to show us your delicious steak.

Hey.

Gimme that steak. That's a mighty fine piece of meat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink