U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How often do you eat restaurant food?
Often 28 35.00%
Occasionally 37 46.25%
Very rarely or never 12 15.00%
Other 3 3.75%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 07:21 AM

17,985 posts, read 17,140,226 times

Advertisements

About once a month lately. Winter has been so cold that we just want to stay home, not go out at night. We pay about 14.99 for a fish dinner in a pub style restaurant + beer for $4.00 and a dessert which we split for $5.00. We TRY to stick to just getting the dinner, no beer no dessert.

In better weather we'll eat out maybe 2-3 times a month ranging from lunch at an outdoor cafe for $7.99 each to dinner at an upscale outdoor cafe for $17.99 + beer for $5.99 and up. We try to skip dessert at that place but they have key lime pie so it's hard to skip. The fancy places? We just don't go there.

Old 02-11-2014, 07:37 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,088,437 times
We go maybe three times max a year and when we do it will be a high end place with the executive chef working on that night. There might be a special night that a pop up comes up and a new chef will get some buzz that later ends up being a Miami chef featured on top chef.

What we spend on those nights can be as little as 30 to. 40.00 per person or as high as 100.00 pp (only me and hubby). The expense is high but the experience is so well worth it.

We use to eat out more, but would rather spend the money at home with quality ingredients.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 10:40 AM

7,672 posts, read 9,326,715 times
I eat out about twice a month. And this is most often lunch at an organic place I like locally. I don't know how that would be voted in the poll...as I consider that occasionally?

I used to eat out more but lately with more misses than hits, we have given up and just cooking more at home.

Old 02-11-2014, 10:45 AM

4,363 posts, read 4,858,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Today's my birthday so I'm being treated to a Mexican dinner out. I might have a strawberry margarita.
Happy birthday! Hope you are having a delicious meal

I'm kinda erratic. I could go a year or two only eating home cooked food, then if one day for whatever reason (busy, or tired of self-made food) I happen to have bought a take-out from a restaurant, it sorta "reminded" me of this option, so I could eat take-out many days in a row. Then some days later back to no restaurant food for months. Guess I should vote "other". I keep per person cost to about $10, occasionally eating more than $20 for a "treat".

Aside from the cost, the main reason I try to minimize restaurant food is the unreliability of the food quality--when you cook your own, you know what's in it and they are clean, and how they are cooked.

Old 02-11-2014, 10:45 AM

69,259 posts, read 79,447,244 times
It depends on how much running around we have to do. When we have a busy day or shopping, doctors appointments or whatever we will stop for lunch and often bring left overs home. Other than that, we will go out for special celebrations but not always or we will go, when we have out of town company. I am guessing we eat out about 15 times a year, including neighborhood breakfasts, etc, maybe a little more often. If you take away the "fast food" category, it is even less often. As for how much we spend: if it is a special occasion we will have a glass or two of wine, so the bill may run $50 or more. If it is just when we are running around, we usually just drink water and go someplace very modestly priced: the cost will be $15 to $25 plus tip.

Old 02-11-2014, 10:46 AM

22,670 posts, read 28,559,598 times
rarely during the week, 2-3 meals on the typical weekend.

Old 02-11-2014, 10:52 AM

69,259 posts, read 79,447,244 times
Quote:
A few times a month and usually nothing very fancy - either diners or small Thai or Middle Eastern restaurants. I rarely drink anything but water so typically under $15 per meal. Today's my birthday so I'm being treated to a Mexican dinner out. I might have a strawberry margarita.
Happy Birthday, yesterday was spoiled brats birthday and I took him to a Mexican restaurant on Sunday. The bill including 2 glasses of wine and one large beer was $32.00 plus tip. obviously the place is not expensive at all and we love it.

Old 02-11-2014, 11:15 AM

43,012 posts, read 88,958,716 times
Rarely and never should be separate choices. I rarely eat out. Maybe once every 3 months. Sometimes twice in a quarter. The most I would eat out is 6 times a year tops. Vacation doesn't count.

We don't eat out as often because we are usually disappointed in the food. We cook much better stuff at home. We also don't get sick as much as we did when we ate out more.

Our average cost varies widely. We don't drink alcohol. Usually $20 to 30 per person. Sometimes $60 or more per person. Sometimes under $15 per person if we're grabbing something cheap while we're out.

Old 02-11-2014, 11:37 AM

1,568 posts, read 1,710,964 times
Quote:
A few times a month and usually nothing very fancy - either diners or small Thai or Middle Eastern restaurants. I rarely drink anything but water so typically under $15 per meal. Today's my birthday so I'm being treated to a Mexican dinner out. I might have a strawberry margarita.
Happy Birthday! I can't think of a better birthday meal. Enjoy!!

I voted occasionally. My family and I don't go out to eat much, we love cooking at home. I tend to go out with girlfriends though, meeting friends for dinner is where I do the bulk of restaurant eating.

Old 02-11-2014, 11:41 AM

15,565 posts, read 8,742,257 times
My husband and I dine out together at least a couple times a week (one lunch, one dinner), but as a family we try to eat dinner at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink