U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How often do you eat restaurant food?
Often 28 35.00%
Occasionally 37 46.25%
Very rarely or never 12 15.00%
Other 3 3.75%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 02:42 AM

7,129 posts, read 3,899,616 times

Advertisements

I have not eaten in a restaurant for more years than I can remember. I actually cannot recall that last meal since it's been likely decades since I had such an experience. The cost is the main thing. I don't even buy fast food, mainly because I don't think much of the food but additionally due to the cost there. We just haven't had the money available. Yes, we've been that low-income. Even when I had a fairly good-paying job, most of the money went toward medical expenses for my mother's illnesses and my own. We would have the cheapest tuna we could buy and crackers as a daily meal. Eating out is a luxury.

Actually, I don't think we would have eaten out even if we ever had the money. Even when my father was alive, I don't recall us eating out except for an occasional Sunday meal at a little café across from the service station he operated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 12:33 PM

22,145 posts, read 28,002,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MystMoonstruck View Post
I have not eaten in a restaurant for more years than I can remember. I actually cannot recall that last meal since it's been likely decades since I had such an experience. The cost is the main thing. I don't even buy fast food, mainly because I don't think much of the food but additionally due to the cost there. We just haven't had the money available. Yes, we've been that low-income. Even when I had a fairly good-paying job, most of the money went toward medical expenses for my mother's illnesses and my own. We would have the cheapest tuna we could buy and crackers as a daily meal. Eating out is a luxury.

Actually, I don't think we would have eaten out even if we ever had the money. Even when my father was alive, I don't recall us eating out except for an occasional Sunday meal at a little café across from the service station he operated.
its definitely a luxury and priced very high compared to cooking at home. thats why it annoys me when people do it who complain about finances. luckily, my old man did well and we always ate out or ordered in growing up. when my parents are both in town, i often get 2 restaurant meals on the weekend paid for by them. they love it and have passed that to me. i dont even know what food my dad likes, i guess its the family experience that matters most. for me, i dont care so much about the food as the restaurant experience.

Old 02-12-2014, 12:40 PM

365 posts, read 512,967 times
I used to eat out quite often but, places are shrinking the size of their items. I may eat out once a week now.

Old 02-12-2014, 03:08 PM

6,320 posts, read 5,093,396 times
Once in a blue moon usually. Eating out is too expensive so its kept for special occasions or when on holiday in a country where its cheaper.

Old 02-13-2014, 10:50 AM

4,970 posts, read 4,100,628 times
3-4 days a week

Old 03-13-2018, 11:52 AM

2 posts, read 358 times
I often eat restaurant food, what can I do... I love fast food.
I like to find new places to eat at places-to-eat-near-me.com once or twice a week, I love to try new things.

Old 03-14-2018, 06:36 AM

33,544 posts, read 41,742,461 times
Lunch, once a week. Dinner, not very often.

Old 03-14-2018, 06:40 AM

11,844 posts, read 6,824,393 times
More, and more I prefer to make nice meals at home as I know what is going into it, and it is much more healthy. I have embraced cooking to a degree, and enjoy it. The meals also taste fresher, and I can limit salt, fat, and the other things restaurants put in their food to make it "taste good". Therefore, I find myself eating out less, but still do on occasion.

Old 03-14-2018, 06:50 AM

4,133 posts, read 6,108,850 times
I'm on the 3 or 4 times a Year end of things, excluding Flying vacations. Driving vacations are done with a cooler and some method of cooking (even if that's just boiling water for diy 'dehydrated' meals)

I live in the boonies (2~3 hours driving for anything other than fast food or greasy spoon), like to cook, am cheap and prefer the comforts of home. I guess it also helps me eat more healthy too, since I know what I'm putting in the food I prepare. Gives me the ability to eat things that I can't buy locally (Mexican/Tex-mex/New-mex being most notable ~ chili renello is NOT a section of bell pepper!)

When we do eat out though, it's someplace nice and for the whole experience of it (wine, atmosphere, occasionally music).

Old 03-14-2018, 06:51 AM
Status: "It's beginning to look like a house:)" (set 27 days ago)

20,172 posts, read 25,126,508 times
My husband and I rarely eat out. For us it is for a special occasion or once in a blue moon to do something different. So maybe 6 times per year. Per person we spend between $15.00 and $25.00.

We do take friends out to eat a few times a year. Sadly most times we eat out the food is a disappointment.

When I was younger going out seemed so much better. It was a treat back then so that was part of it but the food also seemed better. I haven't found a good Chinese restaurant in decades. Granted I am not in NY anymore but still
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink