Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 04:54 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,057,891 times

Advertisements

Bullseye Original, Sweet Baby Rays Original,HP Chicken and Rib, Any of the Sticky Fingers sauces.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 08:26 AM

912 posts, read 1,519,033 times
Not a fan of sauce on steak. Natural juices, sure. Absolutely. But for me, the best steak is one that has a nice crust, seasoned with salt, pepper, and perhaps a sprinkle before serving of spicy Montreal steak seasoning.

Now that all being said, I've put several varieties of mushroom sauces -- creamy, wine-y, etc -- on to roasts, and that is delicious. I probably wouldn't object to having such a sauce on my steak, but I wouldn't seek it out.

Oh, hmm, actually, I just remembered one time when I had some leftover garlic olive oil I needed to use. I was making a steak -- I eyed the two things to see what I could do. I wound up drizzling a bit of the oil over the steak and topping with some smashed roasted garlic cloves. That was delightful.

Old 02-18-2014, 08:33 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,186 posts, read 80,348,343 times
Try HP sauce, it's far better than A1 or Heinz, though I would never use sauce on a good steak, I will use HP on a burger
without bun, or cheap cut like chuck steak. It's actually made by Heinz now, but originally came from the UK, one of their few gastronomic successes.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:37 AM

2,218 posts, read 3,440,154 times
We dont use a sauce per se...but we do sometimes like a compound butter on top. Mix soft butter with a little lemon and some chopped parsley. As it melts on the hot steak it sort of creates it's own sauce. Divine.

We also like chimichurri on flank.

Old 02-18-2014, 12:08 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,541,544 times
Like others have said, a good steak needs no sauce. A-1 and other steak sauce is for people eating a well done steak to add some tanginess because they're afraid of blood and the nature sourness of meat juice.

Old 02-18-2014, 01:21 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,324,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Like others have said, a good steak needs no sauce. A-1 and other steak sauce is for people eating a well done steak to add some tanginess because they're afraid of blood and the nature sourness of meat juice.
You're right in a lot of cases, but there are also some who just like the taste of certain condiments & use them often. We can see here that many love steak sauces, just as many eat BBQ sauces on grilled meats. Then, there are those of us, myself included, who prefer to taste the meat only... no BBQ sauce for me ever... I think it masks the flavor of what I'm eating & I simply just don't like the taste of any tomato based sauce (Italian food with red sauce isn't a favorite of mine), but that's my personal preference.

I know a woman who eats everything smothered in ketchup, including hot veggies & salad. It's almost unappetizing to watch, but it's what she likes. If apple pie is for dessert... she dips her pie ever so gently into the remaining ketchup on her plate.

And, I agree completely with your statement, that a well-done steak (I like it rare) almost begs for a sauce to make it moist & palatable. If a guest at someone's dinner party & steaks are well done on the grill, I've been known to add a bit of something/anything/whatever's at the table in order to make it go down a bit easier. I don't dislike it... but, I prefer a lovingly cooked rare meat, alone.

Old 02-18-2014, 01:29 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,541,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
You're right in a lot of cases, but there are also some who just like the taste of certain condiments & use them often. We can see here that many love steak sauces, just as many eat BBQ sauces on grilled meats. Then, there are those of us, myself included, who prefer to taste the meat only... no BBQ sauce for me ever... I think it masks the flavor of what I'm eating & I simply just don't like the taste of any tomato based sauce (Italian food with red sauce isn't a favorite of mine), but that's my personal preference.

I know a woman who eats everything smothered in ketchup, including hot veggies & salad. It's almost unappetizing to watch, but it's what she likes. If apple pie is for dessert... she dips her pie ever so gently into the remaining ketchup on her plate.

And, I agree completely with your statement, that a well-done steak (I like it rare) almost begs for a sauce to make it moist & palatable. If a guest at someone's dinner party & steaks are well done on the grill, I've been known to add a bit of something/anything/whatever's at the table in order to make it go down a bit easier. I don't dislike it... but, I prefer a lovingly cooked rare meat, alone.
I can see that for certain cuts of steak like a hangar or skirt steak where the texture is very stiff. For a rib eye the proper way to cook it is to season it so the natural juices and seasoning blends together.

For a prime rib, having a au jour sauce or gravy is a good way to eat.

But there are people that just A-1 everything.

As for BBQ, the main reason to put sauce and rub because you're cooking mainly 2 types of white meat. Chicken and pork which itself has very little flavor and needs the rub or sauce.

Old 02-18-2014, 02:07 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,324,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I can see that for certain cuts of steak like a hangar or skirt steak where the texture is very stiff. For a rib eye the proper way to cook it is to season it so the natural juices and seasoning blends together.

For a prime rib, having a au jour sauce or gravy is a good way to eat.

But there are people that just A-1 everything.

As for BBQ, the main reason to put sauce and rub because you're cooking mainly 2 types of white meat. Chicken and pork which itself has very little flavor and needs the rub or sauce.
You've no argument here, V. Yes, I absolutely agree with you (except that pork isn't white meat... pigs are mammals). But, we have similar likes/tastes, it seems & others have personal/cultural preferences regarding meat preparation/consumption. I do agree that some are reliant on certain flavors... steak/BBQ sauces contain LOTS of sugar, which make them addictive, but that's another post. And, there are some who automatically salt or pepper food sans tasting. It's a habit.

No matter the type of meat (which to me means animal flesh, whether it swims, walks or flies), grilling/cast iron stove top searing adds a lovely flavor & BBQ sauce/rubs/etc just mask it. I just want to taste the meat. Still, I have a fridge filled with condiments I never use, for guests. I make no judgments on what others like to eat, even if the thought of ketchup slathered on everything, like the women I mentioned before, from meat to mashed potatoes to corn to dessert makes me cringe. I'm just glad that guests enjoy themselves. I retain no adverse feelings if they eat in a way I don't.

Old 02-18-2014, 02:14 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,588,415 times
It occurred to me that some people have never tasted a good steak. If you start with a decent 1" thick cut, like a T bone or ribeye, here is how to do it. Steak is always grilled, never barbecued or fried.

Start with a steak at room temperature, and blotted dry.

Fire up a charcoal grill with plenty of charcoal. Wait until all the coals are nova heat. Put the steak on, cover the grill with the vents wide open, and grill one side for 2.5 minutes. Flip the steak over and grill the other side for 2.5 minutes. That will give you a medium steak, a little pink in the middle. Reduce to 2 minutes per side for rare, increase to 3 minutes per side for well done. That's all there is to it. For chateaubriand, allow another 20 seconds per side.

Ignore propane grills, they don't get hot enough. Propane is good for thicker cuts like a brisket that have to be cooked at a lower temperature.

A good steak doesn't need sauce, though a very little garlic salt is nice.

Old 02-18-2014, 05:32 PM

2,822 posts, read 2,058,589 times
Light salt and pepper on a good rib eye or NY strip at medium rare/rare works for me everytime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink