Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 08:56 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times

Advertisements

He should save his opinions for the court! Chicago-style pizza is definitely pizza.

Old 02-18-2014, 10:56 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,221,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
I've never had Chicago or NY pizza since i don't live there. I wonder if there are any chains that have similar type of pizza like theirs.....any in Houston?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I googled "Pizzeria Uno Houston," and this blogger wants one too. However, he says, "Uno deep dish in the Windy City is closer to the real thing," but he is mistaken. Pizzeria Uno invented the deep dish pizza in Chicago. It's not an Italian dish, as Scalia points out.
I Long For Deep Dish Pizza in Houston
I wouldn't go to any Uno's other than Chicago. It was sold out as a chain and outside Chicago, the
deep dish pizzas - well let me say it as nicely as I can - they are a bad.
You can order some authentic deep dish pizza from a couple of well known places and they
will ship it to you; Lou Malnati's and Gino's East (look online).
btw, Some grocery stores do carry Gino's deep dish in the frozen pizza isle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
He should save his opinions for the court! Chicago-style pizza is definitely pizza.
^^^^Yes it is & it's delicious. Chicagoans also eat thin crust too. Also, deep dish pizza has the
tomato sauce on top along with the toppings with the cheese underneath....so you don't burn your
mouth as bad. Great, now I have a craving for one.

Old 02-18-2014, 11:56 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,875,838 times
I'll bet a kidney Scalia is confusing deep dish and stuffed pizza, like everyone outside of Chicago tends to do. Lousy activist justices!

Old 02-18-2014, 12:06 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Mindbogglingly, even some people in Chicago, who should know better, equate stuffed pizza and deep dish. Not the same thing.

Old 02-18-2014, 12:46 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
I wouldn't go to any Uno's other than Chicago. It was sold out as a chain and outside Chicago, the
deep dish pizzas - well let me say it as nicely as I can - they are bad.

Definitely. You can go to the original Pizzeria Uno on Ohio, or its annex/overflow restaurant, Pizzeria Due, a block away, and they're good (not amazing, the better deep dish is definitely found at Lou Malnati's). But Uno Chicago Grill, the franchised concept that can be found around the country? Not the same. The chain expansion started when the original owner was still around, but after his death, his widow sold the original restaurants in Chicago's River North to the east coast holding company who already controlled the franchises. The company agreed not to change the recipes and presentation at the original two restuarants in Chicago, but everything else was fair game for tinkering. The result is that pizza you get at an Uno Chicago Grill/Uno Pizzeria & Grill in Las Cruces, New Mexico, or Lexington, South Carolina is not going to the be Chicago deep dish pizza you get if you are at Pizzeria Uno or Due in River North, where they've stood since 1943. The franchise is not the originals.

The common misconception is that if you are in Chicago, you can only get pizza in the deep dish format, which is untrue. You can get "regular" pizza...thin crust, pan crust, stuffed, etc., and easily...often in the same restaurants where you can get deep dish. But you can also get deep dish, and you can't get deep dish done like this anywhere else.

Old 02-18-2014, 01:43 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,192,353 times
I am sure his off the cuff opinion is amusing, but will not change the minds of anyone in Chicago (or most Americans for that matter). Pizza runs the 'gamut" from very thin cracker style crust to deep dish styles. A great food!

Old 02-18-2014, 01:47 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,231,748 times
Probably the first and last time I will agree with Scalia about anything.

Old 02-18-2014, 08:10 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,911,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Uh-huh.

And NY pizza is greasy flatbread.
got that right. After Chicago, all others are second tier.

Old 02-18-2014, 08:23 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,983,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
got that right. After Chicago, all others are second tier.
Spoken like a true Chicagoan who's never been to Wooster St. in New Haven.

Pizza debates are pointless for the most part. People generally like and defend to the death whatever they grew up with.

But deep dish... let's say I cooked an eggplant parmesan but put a crust under it. Suddenly it's a pizza according to folks from Chicago. Makes no sense to me.

Old 02-18-2014, 08:44 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,934,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
I think there's a decent chance Elmhurst, Ill., has better pizza than Elmhurst, Queens.
No way.

On this I agree with Justice Scalia.

Chicago style "pizza" is good, but it's really a quiche. New York style pizza in REAL PIZZA.

modcut

Last edited by Beretta; 02-21-2014 at 04:43 PM.. Reason: removed off topic portion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink