Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 06:20 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,811,485 times

Advertisements

Ooh before I get called heartless again, I do think it would have been nice of the manager to help and since he didn't I would hesitate to go back to eat there. But I wouldn't stay there for 10 minutes getting more and more irate, I would go and take care of her. Show compassion to the girl myself and not wait for a stranger to do the right thing.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:51 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Let's hope you never need the reasonable compassion of strangers.
Oh for crying in the night. This poor girl didn't even get the reasonable compassion, let alone competent assistance, of her own dinner companions. Then we are supposed to buy into the nonsense that busy restaurant employees have an obligation to be good Samaritans to patrons who show up for dinner so famished that a ten minute wait will involve a trip to the ER? Please.

People, restaurant employees included, are under no obligation to give you a helping hand. If they do, hallelujah. But to bawl them out because you believe you have a right to immediate service based on low blood sugar?

Instead of helping the girl out (nabbing some sugar packets, going to another restaurant, offering the hostess $10 for glass of juice, shouting at the top of your lungs about the desperate need for some chips (?) and a glass of juice... which any reasonable person would do if it truly were an emergency), her companions let her sit there, shaky and weak-kneed for 10 minutes. 10 minutes! Then busy restaurant employees get bawled out over not taking good enough care of her. Honest to Pete.

This situation was not about how much attention/compassion we have a reasonable right to expect of total strangers, including wait staff at a restaurant. It was about the OP's expectation that when she/he snaps her fingers, service industry folks should hop to without a lot of dawdling around.

Good luck with that one.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 02-19-2014 at 07:13 AM..

Old 02-19-2014, 07:22 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,003,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Now it's getting ridiculous.

The OP stood around for 10 minutes as her friend crashing. Why didn't she leave and take her elsewhere? Go to the bar and order something? And the girl should have had a snack, most diabetics I know keep something in their pockets/purses for such a situation. Why in the world would I depend on strangers to take care of me if I crashed? I would depend on myself or my friends with me. Does it mean all of us are heartless for suggesting that? Apparently it does to you. But I don't think so.
Your right, many of the posts like yours are ridiculous..
She had never had this happen before so all the post about it being her fault for not planning are assuming

Leaving would have been riskier..

She was depending on her friends with her...I was one that was doing what I could to get food...
Ordering food takes time, that we didn't have...

After rethinking it , I should have just grabbed something even if it meant walking into the kitchen to get it...

Old 02-19-2014, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
This situation was not about how much attention/compassion we have a reasonable right to expect of total strangers, including wait staff at a restaurant. It was about the OP's expectation that when she/he snaps her fingers, service industry folks should hop to without a lot of dawdling around.

Good luck with that one.
Yep, when an emergency is clearly communicated they should be hopping to it without dawdling...
No on should be in management without the ability to react to something like this..

Old 02-19-2014, 07:32 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,811,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
Your right, many of the posts like yours are ridiculous..
She had never had this happen before so all the post about it being her fault for not planning are assuming

Leaving would have been riskier..

She was depending on her friends with her...I was one that was doing what I could to get food...
Ordering food takes time, that we didn't have...

After rethinking it , I should have just grabbed something even if it meant walking into the kitchen to get it...
As another poster said to me, now you are willfully ignoring my other post where I clarified about her having a condition. I've stated what I would do if I encountered a friend or stranger in distress, and nothing that includes waiting for 10 minutes. It's clear you only want one type of answer here so I'll bow out now. I do hope that the posts you don't like will aid you in the future in case you encounter this again.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Should you run into this situation in the future, here my suggestion. Pull out a ten. Hand it to the hostess. Explain that your dinner companion needs a glass of orange juice and a couple packets of sugar. If a waitress will bring it to you right now, there's a ten in it for her as well.

Then see how quick things move.
I think you are right..

Old 02-19-2014, 07:36 AM

Quote:
As another poster said to me, now you are willfully ignoring my other post where I clarified about her having a condition. I've stated what I would do if I encountered a friend or stranger in distress, and nothing that includes waiting for 10 minutes. It's clear you only want one type of answer here so I'll bow out now. I do hope that the posts you don't like will aid you in the future in case you encounter this again.
I am just responding to individual post...will check the one you mentioned..

I prefer to stick to the contect and not base responses on who is saying what...

Old 02-19-2014, 07:39 AM

Quote:
I did miss that, she was not diabetic or even in any danger? Just hungry? Then why didn't they just leave and grab a quick bite to eat?
Blood sugar crashes are dangerous even without having diabetes

Old 02-19-2014, 08:06 AM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,368,879 times
Quote:
I did miss that, she was not diabetic or even in any danger? Just hungry? Then why didn't they just leave and grab a quick bite to eat?
Wow! You really are jumping to uninformed conclusions then , aren't you? No one said anyone was "just hungry."

I think I can see why our country is falling into such a sorry state when so many supposedly reasonable people can't simply acknowledge that a little consideration and caring for another human being is not a bad thing. Instead, too many turn it into a finger-pointing judgmental exercise. And then like a dog with a bone, just can't let go and have to keep re-asserting already disproved points.

Old 02-19-2014, 08:12 AM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,368,879 times
Quote:
Good luck with that one.

And good luck to you, if you ever need help and are surrounded by people with some of the negative, judgmental attitudes on display in this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink