Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2014, 04:09 PM

23,860 posts, read 32,125,181 times

Advertisements

I almost forgot one of my favorites because I often forget that it's a chain!

Aladdin's Eatery.

Locations in Ohio, PA, Delaware and NC.

Aladdin's Eatery | Unique natural foods of the Middle East

Not only would I not mind eating there, I'd go there with enthusiasm!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 05:49 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,148,611 times
For mall food court places, I recently tried a new Japanese outlet: Sarku. The chicken teriyaki plate with rice was good for a quick serve place. I was lured by a free sample of the teriyaki chicken. Happi House Teriyaki is a little better and I went there on occasion when I lived in the Bay Area.

Old 02-27-2014, 08:29 PM

1,427 posts, read 1,391,704 times
Based on cleanliness, good food and service:

PF Changs
Firebirds
Cheesecake Factory
Cracker Barrel
Panera Bread

I miss these restaurants; they aren't in my area but they were still pretty good:

Chevy's
Copeland's
Semolina's
Houston's
Clyde's

Old 02-27-2014, 10:58 PM

299 posts, read 551,994 times
Default re: Five Guys

I first tried Five Guys when I lived in St. Louis and they were the "latest thing" to come to town. I liked all the condiments you could get on your burger (finally, a place where I can ask for A1 steak sauce on one!), but I agree that they give you too many fries (and they're not even the kind I especially like).

Now that I moved to Maryland, it seems like Five Guys is REALLY popular up here. I'm kind of burnt out on it myself. The menu is far too limited. (I tried their hot dog once, as it's pretty much the only other thing they have besides the burgers. And bleah... that was lousy! They just slice a hotdog down the middle and lay both halves on a burger bun, and cook it like it was a burger.)

I probably wouldn't even go back except I do like the unlimited free peanuts in the shells.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
you know we tried 5 Guys for the first time when our daughter was in the hospital last month. We were not at all impressed. I think, like so many places they seem to be a love or hate chain. We did like the fries, but there were way too many. We don't have a Boston Market, but it used to be one of our favorites. We have a Houlihan's here now, we haven't tried it, but have heard good things about their food. Someone mentioned Carrabbas, we only ate there once, I thought it was very good. The ones that I think are really lacking in any true food quality are: Red Lobster, Chilis and Olive Garden plus Applebees. I know food is subjective, but I want to think there is, at least a little quality in my choice. I think a lot has to do with what type of food we eat at home and whether our daily home cooked meals lean to plain home cooking or lean toward the gourmet side.

Old 02-27-2014, 11:08 PM

299 posts, read 551,994 times
Default Panera and bagels

Have you tried the flavored bagels at Panera? I especially like the cinnamon crunch bagel. I don't know that the plain ones are anything special ... but it's the fancy ones that are more memorable there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Panera's good for soup and salads, and some sandwiches. Their bagels are disappointing, they're just a standard loaf bread in a bagel shape. Might as well be a roll.

Old 02-27-2014, 11:13 PM

1,071 posts, read 1,785,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownChristina View Post
I love Panera and Sweet Tomatoes
Panera and Sweet Tomatoes are my two favorites. I also enjoy Panda Express and Taco Bueno. Macaroni Grill is also a family favorite.

Old 02-28-2014, 12:35 AM

1,392 posts, read 3,113,655 times
I love Stevie B's pizza.

Old 02-28-2014, 01:41 AM

37,407 posts, read 45,595,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
which one do you think is the best? The cleanest, most interesting, most reliably good, or decent food?
And, why?
I don't eat out often, but if I had to pick...

I love Ruth's Chris. Always a fantastic meal, and always spectacular service. Definitely a special occasion place of course, as it's rather pricey!

I think the Outback has quite decent food - good healthy selection of veggies, and I've never had anything bad there.

Chipotle's. Chicken burritos are out of this world, and feed TWO. And you cannot beat the chips and red (HOT!) sauce.

Five Guys is great for burgers. I don't love the fries.

PF Chang's - I could eat nothing but the lettuce wraps...they are to die for. It's loud, but that doesn't bother me.

Bonefish Grill for the Bang Bang shrimp.

And Panera's, of course!! Delicious soups.

Old 02-28-2014, 08:25 AM

16,282 posts, read 10,309,907 times
Fast Food
Chick-fil-A
Qdoba
Wendy's (used to be my favorite, but now I prefer other places)
Firehouse Deli, though sadly, the nearest one is 30 miles away
And if someone would open a Del Taco back East, I would be deliriously happy!

As for Five Guys, I just don't get the appeal. At all. Tried them, didn't like them. I think that Chipotle is OK, but their smug self-righteousness ("We use only free-range organic fair-trade ingredients, unlike the other guys who get their stuff from Third-World sweatshops!") turns me off.

Fast-Casual
Noodles & Company

Boston Market isn't bad either, though it's not my favorite.

I've noticed that Jason's Deli has gotten a lot of love on this thread. I've tried them, and I don't recall having any impression, good or bad. I guess I ought to try them again.

Sit-Down
Red Robin
Outback
On the Border
Olive Garden
Red Lobster

I used to really like Don Pablo's, but they've slipped quite a bit in recent times; On the Border is now my go-to for sit-down Mexican.

On the Road
Subway (easiest food to eat while driving)
Cracker Barrel
Bob Evans (breakfast only)

Food to Make the Kids Happy
(in addition to some of the ones above)
McDonald's
Taco Bell
Pizza Hut

Old 02-28-2014, 09:58 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,536,124 times
A drive-thru with meatless options is rare, so occasionally when I need to grab something I will go to Starbucks. They have two boxes, one with fruit and cheese assortment, and the other with peanut butter, apple slices, and a hard-boiled egg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink