Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 07:20 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,732,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Yes, of course, and then that low-fat milk... yes, with the flecks of residual butter still floating in it... would thicken and acidify as the lactic acid fermentation took place.

It was this acidified natural buttermilk that became the basis of so many southern cooking staples, like buttermilk buscuits and buttermilk dipped fried chicken, because the lactic acid in the buttermilk changed the chemistry of the recipes.

Modern "cultured buttermilk" is none of that, which is why it doesn't work the same way in cooking.
That reminds me of this news story I saw a couple years ago about the "most unhealthy" cookbooks.

Once of the selections was "The Neely's Celebration Cookbook" and here's their reasoning:

Quote:
Perhaps a more apt title for The Neelys’ Celebration Cookbook would have been: This is Your Food. This is Your Food Saturated With Heart-Busting Butter. Any Questions? Many of the cookbook’s most delectable-sounding dishes are drowning in butter, particularly this one: Pat’s Deep-Fried Cornish Game Hens, which calls for three quarts of buttermilk! Final verdict? Pass.
http://www.takepart.com/photos/most-...ation-cookbook

Epic fail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 08:19 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,955,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I remember my older relatives downing a big old glass of buttermilk. It was gross to me but they loved it. I used to help my Oklahoma Grandmother gather eggs and churn butter. What I wouldn't give for her homemade butter right now.

A food processor will solve that in short order.

AND you get some buttermilk to boot!

Old 02-26-2014, 09:18 PM

2,707 posts, read 2,836,238 times
It's been many, many years, but where I was raised in the Houston area, Borden's Dairy produced the finest buttermilk one could ever find. My Dad and I loved it because it had the little flecks of butter in it, and had such a thick, rich texture, that even as I write this, I long for a big, cold glass of it. Don't know if they still produce it, and if it is at that quality level, but it was some kind of good, back then..

Old 02-27-2014, 03:47 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,252,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneOnegin View Post
Buttermilk has always been low fat. Traditional buttermilk was the liquid left over when churning cream into butter. The great majority of the fat ends up in the butter, leaving the leftover buttermilk <1% fat. When you see buttermilk that says "low-fat" that's in comparison to other types of milk (e.g. whole milk at ~4% fat) because buttermilk is inherently low fat.
That is very true. But, what if the dairy doesn't make butter? Yesterday, when I was searching all this, I read somewhere that, if the dairy doesn't make butter, they make buttermilk another way. I wonder if I can find that again. But, true that buttermilk is always low fat.

About that 1%. Someone once told me that any food which has less than 1% fat can be called "no fat" even if it has a few of grams of fat.

Old 02-27-2014, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 124c41 View Post
It's been many, many years, but where I was raised in the Houston area, Borden's Dairy produced the finest buttermilk one could ever find. My Dad and I loved it because it had the little flecks of butter in it, and had such a thick, rich texture, that even as I write this, I long for a big, cold glass of it. Don't know if they still produce it, and if it is at that quality level, but it was some kind of good, back then..
That is the buttermilk I want! Bordens has always been good.

Old 02-27-2014, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I remember my older relatives downing a big old glass of buttermilk. It was gross to me but they loved it. I used to help my Oklahoma Grandmother gather eggs and churn butter. What I wouldn't give for her homemade butter right now.
It is also good for digestion. But so is yogurt if you prefer, except that it is so laced with sugar.

Old 02-27-2014, 05:04 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,729,333 times
My Irish grandmother always had this in the house, never liked it myself, and not seen it in our shops for a long time.. but over in Ireland they have it in all the shops...

Old 02-27-2014, 05:14 AM

I found this at Wikipedia[

In the early 1900s, cultured buttermilk was labeled artificial buttermilk, to differentiate it from traditional buttermilk, which was known as natural or ordinary buttermilk

There is a good article about buttermilk there.

Buttermilk - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What would we do without Wiki?

Old 02-27-2014, 08:24 AM

452 posts, read 709,240 times
Gustafson Farms still makes real buttermilk.

Old 02-27-2014, 08:45 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,677,590 times
Talking shake it baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Buy some cream and pour it into a jar with a tight-sealing lid. Shake, shake, shake… shake, shake, shake… shake your buttah, shake your buttah!

Shake jar until butter forms. Drink what's left.
just what this thread needed

FYI People if you want "Real" buttermilk you have to start with fermented raw heavy cream.

Last edited by Bulldogdad; 02-27-2014 at 08:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink