Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 09:54 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,549,134 times

Advertisements

Fried foods are just too expensive to make. Some may think it's the easiest but it cost a lot to have a pot of oil just for frying fries or chicken Unless you intend to reuse the oil which can be bad for your health.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 10:09 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,745,343 times
Deep frying. I never do it at home. It's a hassle with all the oil, smells, batter etc. I just buy fried things/fries out. The rest of the time, I oven bake. Or saute. If I fry it's once a year and I always swear i would never do it again afterwards.

Ricotta. It does taste better from scratch but it's double the cost of store brands. So i just buy it.

I won't make cheeses either. I know again it tastes better, but with so much cheese available at the stores around here, I rather just buy.

Old 02-27-2014, 10:22 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,549,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Basically everything for me.

Well,one exception is fish.
I have never ever tasted great fried fish or baked fish better than homemade.
Fish is ridiculously eat to make, why eat fish fried or baked when all you need is seasoning and pan searing.

Old 02-27-2014, 10:29 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,270,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
What foods CAN you make from scratch, but seldom choose to, whether it's because it's less cost-effective to make from scratch, or because a prepared version is comparable in quality to the scratch version and represents significant savings in either time or money, or some other reason?
biscuits, for starters, Hollandaise sauce, but the scratch kind is really good: bread, apple sauce and most cakes and pudding. Tomato products depends on the season. When we have a good tomato chop or they are really cheap at the market (usually the Mexican market) I love home made sauce, and canned tomatoes, otherwise from a commercial can is just as good. Pizza dough and pie crust are a couple others I just as soon buy and that is saying a lot. I still love to make my own pies from scratch, but I have to admit, the ones from the store are so much easier and fool proof. of course things like ice cream go without saying. Tamales are a ***** to make. We used to do them all the time around Christmas in NM, I have long outgrown the urge to be super cook when it comes to some things. I remember what my dad said to me when he was probably in his 80s He was a man that never used a cook book or fixed anything that wasn't from scratch. I called him to ask him what was the best way to make Hollandaise sauce and he told me, out of an envelope was the best: I realized then, if he could cheat from time to time, so could I.

Things I made from scratch: soups, gravies, most sauces, ethnic foods, pesto and salsa. I like knowing what goes into the jars and I like spicing things to suit our pallets.

Last edited by nmnita; 02-27-2014 at 10:46 AM..

Old 02-27-2014, 10:34 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,270,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I'll second the Chinese food, although I will make it if I have the ingredients. But if I want the whole shebang - spring rolls, hot and sour soup, and an entree - it's carryout all the way.

Marie Callendar makes a good frozen pie crust, and I'm content with one-crust or crumb-topped pies.

Beans - just open the can!

Onion rings and french fries - I don't want them all that often, but when I do, the local family restaurant is a short walk.
I agree about the fries and rings. I do love to make my own egg rolls, but again, I am not sure it is worth the time. That being said, it is a lot cheaper to do your own. I do like to do my own beans and they are much cheaper, but I use canned ones as well. it depends on what I need them for and how much time I have.

Old 02-27-2014, 11:16 AM

2,294 posts, read 3,412,128 times
Through a process of elimination I worked out which additives were making me sick so now we make just about everything from scratch. Commercially bought bread contains so many preservatives that it made me bloat so I make my own, it takes 5-10 mins to mix and knead, then after a short while proving another couple of minutes to knock it back and then in the oven to bake.
I made my own stewed tomatoes this summer and have them frozen in portion sizes in the freezer.

We don't deep fry at all so if we want fries we eat out.

Old 02-27-2014, 11:27 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,905,725 times
Know what I hate? I hate when you tell someone you just bought a wonderful ready-made (fill in the blank) and their comment is, "But it's sooo easy to make." I've reached the point where I just say, "Really? Next time I need it, I'll call you and you can make it for me."

Old 02-27-2014, 03:46 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,820,186 times
Guacamole

Old 02-27-2014, 03:54 PM

19,381 posts, read 27,635,389 times
Deep fryed, batter dipped anything
French fries
Chile Rellenos (I've tried and given up. Mine taste great, but look awful)
Tamales (definitely too much work)
Mocajate (can't get the oven hot enough)
Vietnamese Pho (once was quite enough. Tasted great, but not worth the work and time for the price I can get it for in the restaurant)
Most Thai dishes (except the soups), many Indian dishes, most Chinese dishes (but with those flavoring packets for Thai and Indian, they can be pretty good when they are doctored up.)

I also hate to bake. I just don't like to measure stuff, or have to be exacting about anything. So cakes, breads, most deserts are store bought (though I do keep a box of TJ's brownie mix and TJ's vanilla cake in the pantry)

I'm quite happy to make my own risotto, cioppino, paella, Chinese BBQ red-pork (char sui) and kimchee.

Old 02-27-2014, 04:15 PM

19,963 posts, read 30,051,534 times
beer. wine, whiskey

jelly beans

potato chips

pretzels
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink