Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 01:09 PM

3,787 posts, read 6,997,228 times

Advertisements

Ok, so I'm at the deli at HEB today and saw a hunk of meat called "prosciutto". It's on sale mind you for twenty something a pound. Jokingly in my mind I'm thinkin..."wow, what a deal!" The gal before me was getting samples of it and she kept exclaiming how good it was. I think she ate 10 bucks worth before it was my turn.

I asked a couple of other gals waiting in line if they knew what kind of meat it was. No one seemed to know. That made me feel better. So I tried a sample as I've never had it before...and I'm old. End result...what is the big deal? It's really, really chewy...I thought I'd choke before I masticated enough. I kept wanting to gag. I bought a few slices for the crew at home to see their reaction, (probably about two dollars worth...sliced see-through thin). It did kinda taste like cheese though...chewy cheese, that is.

I did ask the meat guy what it is and he said it's pork. I'm still not sure which part of the animal it is so I better google that. The label says Italy so I guess the pigs there must be awfully well taken care of at twenty something a pound. The best part of the whole deal is in the asking..."ah, excuse me...may I have a few slices of the prosciutto?" It's an opportunity to act like a snob. However, the experience isn't worth twenty something a pound...on sale.

Please tell me what is so special about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 01:25 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,620,530 times
Mmm, prosciutto. The reason it's so expensive is the long curing process. It taste a lot like country ham to me, just sliced very thin.

Old 05-22-2014, 02:05 PM

24,476 posts, read 10,804,014 times
It is a matter of taste. I love it. No, country ham does not cover it.

Old 05-22-2014, 02:08 PM

442 posts, read 496,246 times
Love prosciutto. Very common around here. In stores and in cooking. Absolutely love it!

Old 05-22-2014, 02:16 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
I love it when people thinks prosciutto should cost the same as bologne.

Old 05-22-2014, 02:19 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,948,315 times
To the OP--I don't know what HEB you go to, but it's been available everywhere I shop (including HEB) for easily the past 20 years or so (at least, it's been available whenever I've looked for it ).

It's also sold prepackaged--not just at the deli counter.

Kudos to you for trying some--broaden your horizons a little--as the kids say, YOLO!

Old 05-22-2014, 02:21 PM

1,914 posts, read 2,241,772 times
If you don't like prosciutto, there is no earthly reason why you should buy it. Just leave it for the people who can appreciate it. Worrying about what other people buy is pointless. If you don't understand why people like it, all the explanation in the world will not help.

Old 05-22-2014, 02:21 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,863,170 times
I love prosciutto - really good prosciutto. I've tasted some brands that are much better than others. Now, if you want to be a real snob go and buy some jamón ibérico de bellota - that stuff is crazy good (and it's only $60/lb). It's made from free-range ibérico pigs that have plenty of acorns in their diet.

Old 05-22-2014, 02:57 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,948,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I love prosciutto - really good prosciutto. I've tasted some brands that are much better than others. Now, if you want to be a real snob go and buy some jamón ibérico de bellota - that stuff is crazy good (and it's only $60/lb). It's made from free-range ibérico pigs that have plenty of acorns in their diet.
Good stuff! I've ordered the jamon from Authentic Spanish Food from Spain at LaTienda.com. (I'm not a real snob, Dirt Grinder )

HEB usually has Serrano around the holidays, too.

Old 05-22-2014, 03:04 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,106,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I'll have to try that ^

The San Daniele prosciutto is probably my favourite

The prosciutto do Parma has parmigiano reggiano added to the pigs diet

Additives such as nitrate are not allowed in these two

Ah feel like some prosciutto with melon hmmmm

And to the OP no, it's not snobby to order prosciutto, lol
I'm quite surprised you've never heard of it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink