U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 09:53 AM

11,697 posts, read 16,450,382 times

Advertisements

We have a very special house guest next week end and I would like to have a big breakfast including waffles. Does anyone have a tried and proven recipe for waffle batter which can be made ahead and kept in the fridge? Thank you:>)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2014, 10:00 AM

134 posts, read 121,200 times
I always make a big batch of waffles and freeze them for myself for the whole week. They toast up lovely. I have no idea how they do in the fridge.

The best advice for making light and airy waffles that I can give you would be to separate the eggs and beat the whites until they are fluffy. Fold them into the rest of the batter. There's no yeast raising or special recipe needed, just a standard waffle recipe but with that technique.

Old 03-02-2014, 10:29 AM

11,697 posts, read 16,450,382 times
Thank you Dinska! That is what I normally do but freezer space is not available. I went on a crazy shopping spree yesterday and completely filled a 6 foot high freezer and the drawers of the fridge freezer. At by one pork filet get 3, fresh chicken breast at 1.50/pound, ...

Old 03-02-2014, 10:48 AM

35,817 posts, read 39,361,269 times
We have never had success premaking waffle batter. You really do have to make it as you use it.

Old 03-02-2014, 11:29 AM

5,091 posts, read 13,167,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
We have a very special house guest next week end and I would like to have a big breakfast including waffles. Does anyone have a tried and proven recipe for waffle batter which can be made ahead and kept in the fridge? Thank you:>)
That is not a good idea as most recipes contain baking powder. Essentially Baking Powder sold in retail is double acting with two acids reacting with a bicarbonate to form carbon dioxide which lightened the batter. The first acid is fast acting that starts reacting as soon as it is becomes moist in the creation of the batter and the second is slow acting that reacts to the heat of oven and starts a second reaction.

With making it too far ahead and refrigerating for a long period, you loose the action of the first acid and over time degrades the action of the second acid.

I know in commercial baking supplies a single acting, single acid, baking powder is available but I have never seen one in retail--but it could be, I never looked. However those commercial products are for the huge batches of baking powder batters where more control is needed.

In restaurants, you would try to make smaller batches as close to service as possible and not store it for the next day. However, I have seen some of these sloppy, greasy and sticky pancakes houses keeping it near the stove, hence the heat would degrade it, and using it all day and save it for the next day but I would not allow that in my kitchen.

You could make it with out baking powder as with an aeration of egg whites but that product would loose aeration for a long storage in the fridge.

It takes just a minute or two to make the batter, so why bother. If that stresses you then have your ingredients pre-measured and with dry ingredients (kept at room temp) separate from the wet ingredients (store refrigerated) and then quickly you can put it together.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 03-02-2014 at 11:57 AM..

Old 03-02-2014, 11:40 AM

20,999 posts, read 25,765,271 times
How many people? I don't do waffles for crowds because it takes too long to bake each waffle. You can't bring out fresh baked waffles all at the same time for a group.

Old 03-02-2014, 11:53 AM

69,282 posts, read 79,469,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
We have never had success premaking waffle batter. You really do have to make it as you use it.
I am with you: I don't think there is a way to really guarantee making the batter ahead of time will really work. You either do it the morning of or you cook them and freeze them; no other way. Oreganwoodsmoke is right, find something else you can fix ahead of time and just heat the morning of.

Old 03-02-2014, 12:23 PM

21,871 posts, read 12,749,402 times
I've never tried making the batter ahead of time but I have had good luck with this recipe:

Rich Belgian-Style Waffles - Makes 5 waffles
Ingredients
Serve a special waffle for brunch or dessert
1 egg yolk
2 tsp sugar
1 cup sour cream
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup milk
1/2 tsp salt
3 tbsp butter, melted
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 cup flour
1 egg white, stiffly beaten
Directions
Preheat Oster® waffle maker.
Put all ingredients, except egg whites, in a large mixer bowl and beat with Oster® Hand Mixer on low until moistened.
Increase to medium, mix until smooth.
By hand, gently fold in beaten egg white.
Pour a rounded 1/2 cup (125 ml) batter over grids. Close waffle maker, bake until steam no longer escapes, about 3-5 minutes. Repeat.
Serve while hot with warmed syrup or Strawberries Romanoff.

Old 03-02-2014, 02:26 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,361,269 times
I would never make waffles for a group, since we have a basic home sized wafflemaker that makes two at a time. When I have guests, I do things like breakfast bakes with egg, meat, cheese, potatoes, etc. that can be thrown in the oven, so I can spend time with my guests and not be in the kitchen doing batch work.

Old 03-02-2014, 02:59 PM

33,139 posts, read 39,090,825 times
I use jamie Olivers waffle recipe although i use a regular waffle maker rather than his style of griddle, i also add some pure vanilla extract to the mix. When cooking for many i put a big pan in a warm oven and as each waffle is ready it goes into the oven to stay warm along with the sausages and bacon/
Real maple syrup is worth the extra cost..As a side i usually make a big fruit salad liberally drenched in Grand Marinier and Champagne.
Jamie Oliver's homemade waffles | Celebrity Kitchen

PS this is only a once or twice a year event when the wife invites all her friends over for brunch/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink