Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 12:27 PM

8 posts, read 8,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Dont forget lamingtons and anzacs.
In the winter you could float a pie, a la Adelaide
Ah Yes - Should be easy to make and all ingredients should be available over there.
I hope the Locals Like them as much as we do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
It might work, but first of all remove the vegemite!!! That stuff is absolutely horrible and I'll bet almost no one here will have a taste for that rancid-ness. Next, take the British-sounding names and Americanize them. No one will think kidneys and mushy floaters are appetizing.

I always wondered why you couldn't find any Australian cuisine here. Then I actually went there, and understood exactly why. Nothing is terrible besides vegemite, meat pies are fine but there is nothing to write home about either (except for Asian and the local produce). Maybe you could change that?

I say start in the inner loop where the youngest people congregate. But please, remove the vegemite.
I am not a huge fan of Vegemite either, however the Vegemite and Cheese scroll is to die for, alot more cheesy than vegemite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Will there be no rules, but just right?

Seriously though, sounds yummy to me. I've never had Aussie style pies or breads like you describe. Once you open, post up here so we can come try them.

Good luck with your endeavor!
Thank You and No rules......... well maybe with the Pies there are some and Yes I will keep you all posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Geez those things sound "heavy."

Food truck might be best until you find your target audience. Inside the loop, or out in the Energy Corridor with all the expats. Maybe hitting a MPC TownCentermarketstreetsquarethingie on the weekends.Places inbetween are going to be a hard sell.
thanks for the tip

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
I hope you let us know when you get it up and running. I want a pie right now! Chicken and veg, I think...
Haa Haa I know what you mean nomad. Keep an eye on this post for updates, I have a lot to do before this kicks off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 08:19 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,154,391 times
I'll be one of your first costumers if you open a food truck inside the loop.

Old 03-13-2014, 12:08 AM

488 posts, read 1,383,520 times
The Brits will be all over you mate. Mash n Bean Pie, Lamb n Mint Gravy, Haggis n Turnip Mash (well I am Scottish after all!)

Old 03-13-2014, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz View Post
The Brits will be all over you mate. Mash n Bean Pie, Lamb n Mint Gravy, Haggis n Turnip Mash (well I am Scottish after all!)
I am open to all Idea's. If there is a market then I will attempt to supply.

But I must admit, I have never had any of those Flavours, I'm keen to try though!

Old 03-13-2014, 06:25 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,663,212 times
The company my husband works for is Australian. They have done events with food trucks and things. Try to get in with that. Plenty of Aussies over there.

Old 03-13-2014, 12:41 PM

2 posts, read 1,837 times
Talking Steak & Mushy pie!

Bloody Oath! I miss Yatala pies back home! Big Dads! There are no GOOD Aussie pies here in Houston!!

Old 03-13-2014, 12:57 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,019,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
It might work, but first of all remove the vegemite!!! That stuff is absolutely horrible and I'll bet almost no one here will have a taste for that rancid-ness. Next, take the British-sounding names and Americanize them. No one will think kidneys and mushy floaters are appetizing.

I always wondered why you couldn't find any Australian cuisine here. Then I actually went there, and understood exactly why. Nothing is terrible besides vegemite, meat pies are fine but there is nothing to write home about either (except for Asian and the local produce). Maybe you could change that?

I say start in the inner loop where the youngest people congregate. But please, remove the vegemite.
Id love anything with vegemite

Can OP do a lamb shank pie.. I crave it.. Best one ive ever had was in Adelaide

Old 03-13-2014, 01:20 PM

2 posts, read 1,837 times
Vegemite scrolls! If Houstonians love my Vegemite marinade, they will love Vegemite & cheese scrolls! Nothing like a slap of vegemite & butter on toast for brekkie!
To be honest though, Kraft will charge you and arm & a leg if you export it out. Here at Central Market on Westheimer, they charge $9 bux for a small jar.

Old 03-13-2014, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Id love anything with vegemite

Can OP do a lamb shank pie.. I crave it.. Best one ive ever had was in Adelaide
I have never had or made one however It sounds delicious. I'll keep you posted as I dont see any issues serving them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steena18 View Post
Vegemite scrolls! If Houstonians love my Vegemite marinade, they will love Vegemite & cheese scrolls! Nothing like a slap of vegemite & butter on toast for brekkie!
To be honest though, Kraft will charge you and arm & a leg if you export it out. Here at Central Market on Westheimer, they charge $9 bux for a small jar.
Haa Haa $6 for the biggest jar over here.........

Old 03-13-2014, 09:27 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,019,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denno71 View Post
I have never had or made one however It sounds delicious. I'll keep you posted as I dont see any issues serving them.

Haa Haa $6 for the biggest jar over here.........
village baker, burnside, Adelaide.. karl stefanovic and lisa w approve.. Georgie not so much.lol
Best Lamb Shank Pie in Adelaide! - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink