Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 10:06 AM

10,009 posts, read 17,911,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
you can put some salt pork in those beans!!

(I use to be a meatcutter & meat manager for hannaford)

their private label (hannaford) bacon is 4.99lb

you can go right on hannaford.com and see what they have for products and they even give prices..
Yeah, I check hannaford.com a lot. The Hormel Black Label bacon I bought for $6.29 is now $5.69 (that's their regular price now for the 1-lb. size). I wish Hannaford had BOGO sales on bacon but I've never seen one!

I would buy some salt pork but I have no real need to go grocery shopping today or tomorrow, and I really want to try the beans tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Bacon and ham pieces work great for beans, soups, casseroles, etc.. And so much cheaper.

I accidently picked up some maple flavored bacon once. Didn't like it much so now I make SURE I get the regular stuff. Tried the maple flavored sausages too and didn't like them much either. Funny since I don't mind getting maple syrup on them while eating it.
When I saw I'd gotten maple-flavored without realizing it, I too thought I might not like it, but I found it delicious. I wish I could have some for lunch today but I'm saving the few pieces left for when I cook the beans in the slow cooker tomorrow! (BTW should I put the bacon in at the beginning or near the end or does it not matter? Never cooked beans in the slow cooker before but I was motivated by this thread: http://www.city-data.com/forum/food-...-15-beans.html . I am going to saute the bacon with onions and garlic and maybe some other spices, then dump it in the slow cooker with the beans. I am hoping it will taste like Campbell's bean with bacon soup (my favorite as a kid and even now for comfort food), only better! I am on spring break this week so don't have to worry about, um, digestive "issues" in the classroom!! )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2014, 10:37 AM

23,264 posts, read 23,621,950 times
I don't buy bacon any longer. I love the taste, but it's become a bit expensive. Instead, I will buy Spam and grill it for breakfast!

Old 03-16-2014, 10:42 AM

777 posts, read 1,330,530 times
Maybe there's not enough pigs to slaughter? No clue. I didn't eat bacon for almost 6 years (2002-2008), and while I'm sure bacon was NOT the average $4/lb back then, I am to expect to pay roughly that these days. And that's just for the cheap stuff, some it which doesn't even taste good. I'm trying to go organic in my diet, and I don't even want to know what organic bacon costs. Organic anything is seriously just so much, I don't think I'm going to be able to go 100% into it, ever.

Old 03-16-2014, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
I don't buy bacon any longer. I love the taste, but it's become a bit expensive. Instead, I will buy Spam and grill it for breakfast!

Sorry, my mom made us eat spam for dinner sometimes when I was growing up ... I am still not over the trauma!! I would pay $10/lb. for bacon before I would eat spam!!

Old 03-16-2014, 10:54 AM

3,201 posts, read 4,387,045 times
spam seems to have a love hate relationship

some people call a spam sandwich a guilty pleasure

Old 03-16-2014, 12:44 PM

254 posts, read 402,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post

I would buy some salt pork but I have no real need to go grocery shopping today or tomorrow, and I really want to try the beans tomorrow.
Sure you have a reason! You need to pick up a hunk of salt pork It is really just that good for beans. I only recently started using it and that's the way I do beans now and forever In fact, I just made some 15 bean soup beans myself yesterday. Yum! (I like beans......a lot )

Old 03-16-2014, 01:05 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,257,915 times
Quote:
I would pay $10/lb. for bacon before I would eat spam!!
Well, you could, on Maui.

Somebody just posted a price comparison on the Hawai'i forum on two identical Safeway weekend sales flyers, one for San Francisco and one for Maui, and one of the items was Oscar Meyer Thick Cut Bacon... $8.99/lb in San Fran, $9.99/lb in Maui.*

Spam, as you may know, is canned pork shoulder, primarily, and it is enormously popular in Hawai'i. Supermarkets typically carry several different Spam varieties, and prices are shown for single cans and for cases. Restaurants have spam on breakfast, lunch, and dinner menus. Spam musubi (slice of spam on ball of rice, wrapped in seaweed) in several flavors is found in a case next to the cash register in most Hawaiian 7-Elevens. It's that popular! So the rising price of pork across the board has hit Spam prices too, unfortunately.

SPAM® Varieties | Delicious Varieties of SPAM Meat® | SPAM

*BTW, I've seen thick-cut bacon sold at a premium over standard cut prices, but that defies logic. Why should fewer slices be more expensive per pound than more? But I've seen it charged out that way, and I've seen people pay it.

Old 03-16-2014, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Well, you could, on Maui.

Somebody just posted a price comparison on the Hawai'i forum on two identical Safeway weekend sales flyers, one for San Francisco and one for Maui, and one of the items was Oscar Meyer Thick Cut Bacon... $8.99/lb in San Fran, $9.99/lb in Maui.*
Glad I don't live in Hawaii.

Quote:
Spam, as you may know, is canned pork shoulder, primarily, and it is enormously popular in Hawai'i. Supermarkets typically carry several different Spam varieties, and prices are shown for single cans and for cases. Restaurants have spam on breakfast, lunch, and dinner menus. Spam musubi (slice of spam on ball of rice, wrapped in seaweed) in several flavors is found in a case next to the cash register in most Hawaiian 7-Elevens. It's that popular! So the rising price of pork across the board has hit Spam prices too, unfortunately.

SPAM® Varieties | Delicious Varieties of SPAM Meat® | SPAM

(And lol, "delicious varieties"? There's a bit of hyperbole going on!! )

Quote:
*BTW, I've seen thick-cut bacon sold at a premium over standard cut prices, but that defies logic. Why should fewer slices be more expensive per pound than more? But I've seen it charged out that way, and I've seen people pay it.
Yeah, I rarely buy the thick-sliced, as I KNOW myself and my "bacon weakness" ... I would still eat 6 (thick) slices at a time, which would be the equivalent of, what, 9 "regular" slices? I can't "afford" that even a couple of times a year!

==============

I have really enjoyed reading the responses to this thread ... but can anyone answer my slow-cooker question, which was whether bacon pieces should be added right at the start of the cooking time (with the beans etc.), or later? If I don't hear back I think I will just put them in at the start. I'll report back on how it turns out!

Old 03-16-2014, 01:52 PM

254 posts, read 402,756 times
Karen, I haven't tried slow cooker beans, but I leave my pot to simmer low all day. Anyway, I've always heard that adding salt before the beans start to become tender causes them to be tough. Whether that's true I don't know for sure, but I do wait to add my pork or any other salt for a bit

Old 03-16-2014, 02:06 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,081,702 times
Quote:

Sorry, my mom made us eat spam for dinner sometimes when I was growing up ... I am still not over the trauma!! I would pay $10/lb. for bacon before I would eat spam!!
we ate it as well and I know my sisters kids had it a lot. I don't think I have had it for 40 years, so am not about to start now.

As for bacon, we do get it on sale here about every month or so for around $3.50; usually 12 oz packages. This nonsense started a few years ago. all other varieties of pork are quite cheap: what gives? esnoo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink