Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 06:54 AM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
I keep seeing recommendations to use a potato ricer instead of a normal masher because it makes better mashed potatoes. But I can't see how, since the mechanism is identical.

Can someone explain so that I don't have to go and buy a $20 gadget to test it myself?
I used to use a ricer, but now I just throw them in my kitchen aid.

I do peel the potatoes, cut them up and boil the heck out of them. I think you get lumps because that means the potatoes are still hard. I hate raw tasting or looking potatoes.

Anyway, drain them, throw them in mixing bowl, add sour cream and butter. Start whipping.

Doesn't take long since the potatoes should be cooked well. I know in my old days of home economics they said doing this develops the starch etc. But I think today's potatoes are different. I use the golden butter potatoes. Wouldn't do it with a russet or those other gigantic ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 09:12 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
I keep seeing recommendations to use a potato ricer instead of a normal masher because it makes better mashed potatoes. But I can't see how, since the mechanism is identical.

Can someone explain so that I don't have to go and buy a $20 gadget to test it myself?
They're not identical at all, and if you find a ricer at a flea market or thrift store, you'll pay only a couple bucks.

Old 04-02-2014, 11:11 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,747,912 times
The ricer that America's Test Kitchen recommends is only $14.95 on Amazon....if you ordered it with something else that cost enough, you could get free shipping.

This is it: Amazon.com: Potato Ricer and Baby Food Strainer: Kitchen & Dining

Old 06-24-2014, 08:16 AM

1,632 posts, read 1,849,077 times
I don't like potatoes put through a ricer, makes them too airy , best way is after cooked and drained put them back in the same pot with a kitchen towel under the lid to draw out the moister before adding heated milk and butter.

Old 06-24-2014, 08:29 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,268,242 times
Quote:

It's all a matter of preference. I don't like that the potato ricer doesn't offer any control. You have basically one outcome. With a masher, you can mash as little or as much as you want. Personally, I mash very little. I'm one of the weird ones who likes some chunks of potato in my mashed.

Old 06-24-2014, 09:59 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,948,315 times
I have a ricer but never use it. Just something else to wash . I peel & cut potatoes into about 1-2 inch cubes, boil til tender, drain, put back on the burner so the excess moisture steams off, add a little butter, milk, & seasoning, mash with a big spoon--voila! Done.

I don't see any advantage to using a mixer either. I've always thought that would give them a gluey texture.

Old 06-24-2014, 10:31 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,317,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
I have a ricer but never use it. Just something else to wash . I peel & cut potatoes into about 1-2 inch cubes, boil til tender, drain, put back on the burner so the excess moisture steams off, add a little butter, milk, & seasoning, mash with a big spoon--voila! Done.

I don't see any advantage to using a mixer either. I've always thought that would give them a gluey texture.
Pommes Aligot, a gluey, cheesy, garlicky French recipe....best mashed potatoes on earth.

Aligot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-24-2014, 10:46 AM

487 posts, read 748,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
The ricer that America's Test Kitchen recommends is only $14.95 on Amazon....if you ordered it with something else that cost enough, you could get free shipping.

This is it: Amazon.com: Potato Ricer and Baby Food Strainer: Kitchen & Dining
I have this ricer - it's easy to use and disassembles easily for cleaning too.

Old 06-26-2014, 12:59 PM

1,632 posts, read 1,849,077 times
Potatoes will only be gluey if the added milk is cold .

Old 06-26-2014, 01:12 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
It's all a matter of preference. I don't like that the potato ricer doesn't offer any control. You have basically one outcome. With a masher, you can mash as little or as much as you want. Personally, I mash very little. I'm one of the weird ones who likes some chunks of potato in my mashed.
I prefer to mash by hand, because I like the coarser, more rustic texture done with a hand masher. I don't like potato puree or whipped potatoes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink