U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 02:39 PM

11,829 posts, read 7,704,170 times

Advertisements

A co-worker refuse to eat mangoes because she thought it is mushy and have disgusting fibrous textures but have no problem eating mango sorbet.

I heard from another person who doesn't like dark black grapes because he didn't like the texture of the skin and thinks it has a very grainy texture yet he has no problem drinkin red wine.

Then here's the funniest one I've heard, a guy at my work said he can drink orange juice but hates eating oranges. When asked why, he says he hates chewing the rind or white part of the oranges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2014, 02:42 PM

31,193 posts, read 57,317,340 times
So what? Everyone has preferences.

Old 03-27-2014, 02:53 PM

35,819 posts, read 39,375,570 times
There's a lot of fruit I don't care for (my husband thinks I am crazy that I'm not a fruit lover), but I can't think of any I find disgusting.

Fresh mangoes give me a slight allergic reaction...they make my mouth, throat and lymph glands feel prickly and fuzzy...this isn't uncommon, and comes from oils in the skin of mangoes. Often, peeled mangoes used in purees and flavorings won't cause the same reaction, providing none of the oils from the skin are present.

I also don't like eating oranges because of the pith. I'd take orange juice (no pulp) over fresh oranges, but I don't really love it, either.

Old 03-27-2014, 02:55 PM

12,448 posts, read 10,139,663 times
Have you ever been served a "fresh" fruit cup at a restaurant, taken a bite of the fruit, then noticed the fruit was effervescent as you chewed it? Now, that's disgusting - a cup of fermenting fruit.

I have no problem with proper fermenting of fruits to achieve an end-product, but don't serve it as a fresh fruit cup.

Old 03-27-2014, 02:55 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,712,152 times
I don't care to eat oranges either because I hate the white part. Not a fan of orange juice either. I do love to eat mandarin oranges in salads and such. I also don't like to eat bananas either, mainly because I can't stand the stringy part. But I'll happily eat them if they are sliced.

Old 03-27-2014, 02:57 PM

42,237 posts, read 49,783,147 times
Mango is not supposed to have that texture. Your friend is getting crappy mangoes and I don't like those kind, either.

A beautiful big meaty firm deep orange-flesh mango (usually only found in Asia) is AMAZING. Those nasty Mexican/Honduran mangoes are a toss-up every time you buy one.

I don't understand why anyone would put cantaloupe in their mouths. Super ICK. Starfruit are pointless, durian are...erg...

Old 03-27-2014, 02:58 PM

12,448 posts, read 10,139,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
...I also don't like eating oranges because of the pith...
I always supreme my oranges to avoid the pith - you only get the wonderful orange wedges with all the juicy bits.

How to supreme an orange

Old 03-27-2014, 03:21 PM

7,310 posts, read 4,678,062 times
I eat all fruits, but I don't really enjoy any of them, I just eat them for the health benefit. I'm more of a vegetable person because you can season them and dip them.

I do love pears, however, they never taste as gritty, juicy and sweet as I would like. Always hard and tasteless so I never buy them.

Old 03-27-2014, 03:21 PM

17,165 posts, read 22,182,489 times
i think we throw the word "disgusting" around too easily,,, you ever clean chicken shyt out of a chicken barn over 100 degrees?? now thats disgusting

I like fruit,,,even like the fruit flies before they start flying,,,good protein right there!

the fruit roll ups....are a bit disturbing,,,although i use to like them..

as kids we use to pick wild crab apples,,,and we had an old neighbor that had an unbelievable pear tree,,,but it was guarded by a st bernard...we would try ten different ways to get them pears,,,

our neighborhood was brutal...
we'd have apple fights in the fall....you get beamed in the head with a few large wild apples,,it stings!!
most of us would go home bleeding,
to this day my right eye hurts eating a red delicious...

Old 03-27-2014, 03:22 PM

11,829 posts, read 7,704,170 times
Me personally, there is only one disgusting fruit in the world and that is a Dorian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or