Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 11:43 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,476,539 times

Advertisements

Definitely soy milk and orange juice. For the former, I wouldn't finish it right away, and it would go bad quickly, despite the expiration date printed to be 2 months later. For the latter, I already consume more sugar than I should, so I just stick primarily with water, and drink fruit juice from soda dispensing machines if the meal comes with it.

In both cases, they've gotten noticeably more expensive. Tropicana even changed their carton to be slimmer, so instead of 64oz, it's really 52oz.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 03:16 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
koogle peanut butter... anyone else remember this stuff??

they had different flavors of peanut butter ....

shakenbake ..havent used this stuff in a longgg time...

crisco.... as kids,,,, we either smelled like cigarette smoke (everyone smoked backed then) or crisco - so many would cook in this stuff..

kool aid ..... use to love the stuff as kids,,

Old 03-31-2014, 05:22 AM

1,374 posts, read 1,775,796 times
Windex
Furniture polish
coffee creamer dry
canned beans
Fresh fruit unless it is in season
bbq sauce
oregano, rosemary, basil, thyme
onions garlic shallots
dishwasher soap

The ones I can remember

Old 03-31-2014, 05:56 AM

20,935 posts, read 28,426,121 times
Pre-packaged rice and pasta mixes
canned veggies except for corn and green beans occasionally.
Orange juice- upsets both of our stomachs
Mangoes
blueberries- I don't care for them and hubby can't have them
Apples unless it's for a pie or cobbler
cereal except for granola cereal to put in my yogurt
Cookies and cakes-only buy if having guests for dinner
Jar marinara sauce
canned soups except cream of chicken or mushroom that I use in certain recipes
boxed mac and cheese-I make it homemade
popcorn
tomatoes-hubby can't have and I don't care for fresh tomatoes except on a tuna or turkey sandwich
fresh peppers-green/red/yellow-they give me agita
yellow onions-too sharp tasting I only buy sweet onions
broccoli rabe-found a bug in it.( I know, there are bugs in all foods)
cold cuts-too salty and pricy

Old 03-31-2014, 06:42 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Tab

Old 03-31-2014, 06:49 AM

912 posts, read 1,525,069 times
  • Canned vegetables - blech.
  • Pre-cut vegetables and fruit. I know it's convenient, but I find them to not be as fresh or sometimes have an off-putting taste.
  • Jarred salsa - I make my own and have for years.
  • Fruit juice - I've never really been a fan, but used to pick up some orange or apple juice for the husband. At some point, he stopped drinking it regularly and so a container would sit mostly full well past the expiration date.
In general, we've stopped buying most "convenience"-style food. I do keep a frozen pizza or two on hand for crazy days with no time to cook, but I've found it to be easy and cheaper for me to do a lot of cooking on Sundays, then refrigerate/freeze and re-heat through the week as needed.

Old 03-31-2014, 07:07 AM

Yea.. make salsa too. Ditto on convenience foods except frozen pizza. I do buy some jarred salsa. I don't buy much jelly or jam. If I find a good buy on peaches or oranges, I' ll make my own.

lunch meat occasionally. I bake turkey chicken and roast beef and ham so I always have sandwich makings.

I buy eggs from my neighbors but I am getting ready to give raising chickens a try and maybe a goat or two.

Old 03-31-2014, 08:17 AM

912 posts, read 1,525,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shh1313 View Post
Yea.. make salsa too. Ditto on convenience foods except frozen pizza. I do buy some jarred salsa. I don't buy much jelly or jam. If I find a good buy on peaches or oranges, I' ll make my own.

lunch meat occasionally. I bake turkey chicken and roast beef and ham so I always have sandwich makings.

I buy eggs from my neighbors but I am getting ready to give raising chickens a try and maybe a goat or two.
Wow, you definitely put me to shame! I do buy lunchmeat weekly for my husband. He loves his turkey sandwiches for lunch every day, and is quite fond of Boar's Head, so I do buy that. I'm not really a sandwich eater, so I usually bring dinner leftovers for lunch.

We don't really eat much jelly or jam, but I do keep a couple of jars hanging out in my fridge for visitors (or when I spontaneously decide to make biscuits, which isn't often).

Old 03-31-2014, 08:30 AM

Whenever meat is on sale I buy 2. I must admit I buy bologna for those fried bologna sandwiche craving.

I do buy boars head pepperoni for homemade pizza. Guilty pleasure. .

Old 03-31-2014, 09:13 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,818,180 times
Anacin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink